• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nostomania's "most valuable magazines" -- how accurate is it?

9 posts in this topic

I recently became aware of the Nostomania site and its list of most valuable magazines . The Top 10 are as follows, and the values are based on theoretical 9.4 grades:

1 Drag Cartoons 27 $51,400

2 Playboy V1 #1 Page 3 Variant $33,900

3 Playboy V1 #1 $25,900

4 Famous Monsters of Filmland 4 Ghoul's Eye sticker $18,800

5 Playboy V1 #1 Red Star Variant $16,300

6 Famous Monsters of Filmland 1 UK Edition $9,780

7 Famous Monsters of Filmland 1 $9,710

1 8 Famous Monsters of Filmland 4 $7,980

-1 9 Heidi Saha, An Illustrated History of nn $7,810

10 Playboy V1 #4 $7,300

-----------------

My question is: What are Nostomania prices really based on? Past sales? Does it just plug sales data into an algorithm that is the same for every magazine regardless of whether there are a lot of recorded sales versus very few, and regardless of whether the magazine is well-known or obscure? Is the 9.4 theoretical pricing factoring in a rise and fall of prices, and if so, does it over-compensate for a rise in prices at the low end or among only a few recorded sales?

The reason I ask is mainly because of what's listed as the #1 most valuable magazine: Drag Cartoons #27. Personally I have barely even heard of this magazine, let alone knowing it was considered valuable. Is Drag Cartoons #27 actually this valuable, or is this some sort of fluke in the Nostomania listings? (Is somebody manipulating the listings?)

I don't have access to the GPAnalysis -- can anybody tell me what it says there? Any other comments or perspectives about this are appreciated.

Oh, and P.S.: What are the best other resources for finding data about magazine values? In this case, Drag Cartoons is not in Overstreet, and I found very little about it via a Google search.

Drag Cartoons 27 has a Batmobile cover and and often sells for a little more than the surrounding issues - meaning $20 - $25 in VG condition as opposed to $10 - $15, so I think somebody was having some fun. I can't imagine a slabbed 9.4 going for $400 let alone another $51,000 over that.

That's what I thought. Which raises the next question: Why are Nostomania values apparently so easy to manipulate? (On another note, Nostomania has Detective #27 as being higher valued than Action #1, and it has both of them being worth more than $3 million in 9.4 grade...)

I've done a significant amount of magazine purchasing and selling in the last 15 years or so, thanks mainly to ebay.

I too wish there were some sort of definitive, or even a somewhat worthy guide to collectible magazine value. If there is, I haven't seen it.

I've basically just memorized many different mags to look for and what they are worth.