• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 35???? Tough to find in high grade?
1 1

723 posts in this topic

The entire print run was like this. It's also not the only book printed this way. There may be a small handful that don't have these tears, but it's not likely.

How does that even happen where the ENTIRE print run has that exact same defect of a few rips in the corner?

What was the print run for that book? I don't know a heck of a lot about printing but that just strikes me as a odd defect for the entire print run to have ???

Because, contrary to what some have said in this thread, it's not just the corner. The tears can be anywhere along the entire spine. Marvel was playing with their cover stock at that time (1991), and this is the result. A lot of Nam #52s have the same problem, though not to that degree.

People have been searching for a copy of this book for years without the flaw. As someone who bought them straight off the stand, with dozens of copies in my hand, I can tell you that every copy I have ever seen had it.

Something just didn't mesh correctly at Quebecor that week/month.

The entire print run was like this. It's also not the only book printed this way. There may be a small handful that don't have these tears, but it's not likely.

How does that even happen where the ENTIRE print run has that exact same defect of a few rips in the corner?

What was the print run for that book? I don't know a heck of a lot about printing but that just strikes me as a odd defect for the entire print run to have ???

By the way...wondering how an ENTIRE print run has the exact same defect?

Consider the DM print run of Cap #241, nearly every (maybe every?) copy has a horizontal printer's crease in the lower right quadrant.

It happens.

Print run for the Wolvie #35 was probably about 300,000 copies. Semi-educated guess. Too lazy to look it up. ;)

Looks like i'm trying to figure out which freaking box i have my Wolverine 35's in this weekend hm

Yup, same here, and 30 mins ago I was just in that box pulling out 3 #1's and a #10 to submit for pre-screening. Since I forgot the Swamp Thing issues, I suppose I should go grab #35 and see what it looks like.

Same here. I was thinking - mine most likely has it too but I had better check.

Because, contrary to what some have said in this thread, it's not just the corner. The tears can be anywhere along the entire spine. Marvel was playing with their cover stock at that time (1991), and this is the result. A lot of Nam #52s have the same problem, though not to that degree.

People have been searching for a copy of this book for years without the flaw. As someone who bought them straight off the stand, with dozens of copies in my hand, I can tell you that every copy I have ever seen had it.

Something just didn't mesh correctly at Quebecor that week/month.

dang....oh well im going to keep searching..... :(

Looks like i'm trying to figure out which freaking box i have my Wolverine 35's in this weekend hm

Yup, same here, and 30 mins ago I was just in that box pulling out 3 #1's and a #10 to submit for pre-screening. Since I forgot the Swamp Thing issues, I suppose I should go grab #35 and see what it looks like.

Same here. I was thinking - mine most likely has it too but I had better check.

Darnit, looked at my copy, has the same friggin defect..

Now I know to pay attention to that issue more when I'm out and about..

Production defect. Ask anyone who collects Wolverine runs know how hard it is to find. I have been looking for years for a friend and cannot find a copy that comes close to 9.6, let alone 9.8.

Is that the one that Worldsbestcomics is missing? If so, there have been a lot of people looking for one for a while! lol

Yes, this is the one I am looking for (see my sig). The bindery tears resemble spine stress but if you open up the cover, you will see that they are torn through.

I also questioned how an entire print run of hundreds of thousands of books could all have the same defect. They don't. But, like any common Marvel from that era, if it went out on the shelf or into a back issue box, it likely picked up other defects that knock it out of 9.8. And I don't know what was wrong with the quality control but over 99% of these books have the bindery tears. The 9.6s on the census all have the bindery tears

I have even tried different print runs like the books that were printed for Canada instead of the US but no luck so far. I'm sure some will turn up. There have been a number of copper/modern books that had production/distribution issues that resulted in no 9.8s for a long time - Wolverine 102.5 and Wolverine 145 Nabisco are a couple other Wolverine examples - but copies eventually surfaced driven by the price for uber-HG CGC copies.

The first 9.8 Wolverine 35 could sell for $500 even in this market.

Production defect. Ask anyone who collects Wolverine runs know how hard it is to find. I have been looking for years for a friend and cannot find a copy that comes close to 9.6, let alone 9.8.

Is that the one that Worldsbestcomics is missing? If so, there have been a lot of people looking for one for a while! lol

Yes, this is the one I am looking for (see my sig). The bindery tears resemble spine stress but if you open up the cover, you will see that they are torn through.

I also questioned how an entire print run of hundreds of thousands of books could all have the same defect. They don't. But, like any common Marvel from that era, if it went out on the shelf or into a back issue box, it likely picked up other defects that knock it out of 9.8. And I don't know what was wrong with the quality control but over 99% of these books have the bindery tears. The 9.6s on the census all have the bindery tears

I have even tried different print runs like the books that were printed for Canada instead of the US but no luck so far. I'm sure some will turn up. There have been a number of copper/modern books that had production/distribution issues that resulted in no 9.8s for a long time - Wolverine 102.5 and Wolverine 145 Nabisco are a couple other Wolverine examples - but copies eventually surfaced driven by the price for uber-HG CGC copies.

:whistle:

Here is a question for all involved..

Say that this book only has these four bindery marks. I say marks because they do not actually go all the way through the paper. They are not tears.

Is this enough to prevent 9.8 status with cgc???

I would have to assume yes, but would like to hear from others...

351qw.jpg

By vpcomix72 at 2011-11-07

Say that this book only has these four bindery marks. I say marks because they do not actually go all the way through the paper. They are not tears.

351qw.jpg

Yes, That will keep it from 9.8

Someone.

Post a picture of a copy that doesn't have this defect.

Thanks.

RMA. I saw one copy but didn't buy it because of different large unfixable defects. I regretted it later when I realized how difficult it was going to be to find because it might have given me some kind of clue.

I also know of one trustworthy grader who saw a similar copy. Mine was in Seattle. His was in the Northeast.

$500 geez louise!!! oh who am I kidding i'd pay it lol

lol:baiting:

Heard that one came from quite the Copper Age collection.

351qw.jpg

Yes, That will keep it from 9.8

Thanks man

That is I figured..........

Someone.

Post a picture of a copy that doesn't have this defect.

Thanks.

If you have "dozens in hand" then why don't you post a picture. I am sure we would all like to see what ya got..I for one have never seen any other defects other than what my 6 copies have. They are almost all identical in the defects..

I have personally looked at more than 200 copies, maybe more than 300 and saw one without the tears. Many have nearly identical tears - the UPC box is the most common and I have probably seen 60+ copies that look identical to the one vpcomix72 posted - but the tears do vary from copy to copy and I have seen them all up and down the spine.

lol:baiting:

Heard that one came from quite the Copper Age collection.

lol

Indeed it did ;)