• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 35???? Tough to find in high grade?
1 1

723 posts in this topic

You could probably pick almost any nondescript modern out of a hat and wonder why there aren't more copies in 9.8 on the census.

That might just be about the worst basis there is to overpay a large amount of money for a generic modern book.

-J.

I would tend to agree...until you get 5-6 people fighting for the best in set for a specific title. Everyone needs the same book and after 10 years of looking 1 finally shows up. At that point it is the sellers market. Unless you are selling to a friend.

it just has a production defect, which many of you think it's hard to find in high grade. it's not.

I don't think this book is possible in 9.8.

I don't know if we can call this done yet on an assessment there will never be a 9.8 of this book. CGC has periodically taken production flaws into consideration. Even with the flawed copies shown here, a few folks mentioned looking at their examples and seeing very light defects in the common flawed area. Hopefully, they submit these books.

Let's see as the census grows how many land at the under-grades. 5 submissions into CGC doesn't average a high sample of submissions for most any book. But the end story may be none achieve a 9.8 grade. We'll see.

121505.jpg

wolv35_zpscyopyn1z.png

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:51 PM, jsilverjanet said:

thoughts?

comic%20667_zpskjffjjyv.jpeg

comic%20668_zpsfaulrfkw.jpeg

Front cover strong possibility.

Back cover shows some breaks so < possible.

But...you never know.

Front looks like a 9.8 all day long and the back I see three small issues with the top corner being the biggest, but I just had a modern come back a 9.8 that didn't look as good as this book.  And...  I decided to submit a modern I found February 23rd and I just signed for it 15 minutes ago so now is a good time.   

Crease on front thru the "O"?  You have noticeable colorbreaks thru the black in the lower left logo.  I know it is part of the printing issue, but the 9.8s I've seen have only a single super small barely noticeable color break there that look like less than 1/8"  I have submitted personally 20 or so with way less defects that got rejected prescreen.  I think some of the early 9.8s were graded a little less stringent.  The later graded ones are in much better shape in my opinion.  

It's probably been said before in this thread, but IMHO no copy of this book should make a 9.8.  The production defect is too profound.  Plus, it would stop me from buying copies out of the $1 bins, getting my hopes up that I finally found "the" copy, and getting a 9.4 or 9.6 in return. 

You suck Wolverine 35!  :preach:

On 1/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, mattn792 said:

It's probably been said before in this thread, but IMHO no copy of this book should make a 9.8.  The production defect is too profound.  Plus, it would stop me from buying copies out of the $1 bins, getting my hopes up that I finally found "the" copy, and getting a 9.4 or 9.6 in return. 

You suck Wolverine 35!  :preach:

Wolverine35.jpg