• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine 35???? Tough to find in high grade?
1 1

723 posts in this topic

Over Under the end of 2011 we will have a Wolverine 35 in 9.8. I want answers :sumo:

If I had the time, I just might be able to pull it off..... It will have to wait until 2012 for me :P

hm:applause::eyeroll:

Not with all those boxes you have. Give yourself time to search.

:baiting:

Over Under the end of 2011 we will have a Wolverine 35 in 9.8. I want answers :sumo:

If I had the time, I just might be able to pull it off..... It will have to wait until 2012 for me :P

I bet there's one with that Mass Avengers 195.

I bet there's one with that Mass Avengers 195.

The wolvie would not be with the avengers...... Peds don't mingle well with my common drek :insane:

The entire print run was like this. It's also not the only book printed this way. There may be a small handful that don't have these tears, but it's not likely.

How does that even happen where the ENTIRE print run has that exact same defect of a few rips in the corner?

What was the print run for that book? I don't know a heck of a lot about printing but that just strikes me as a odd defect for the entire print run to have ???

There have been issues found without the printing defect, but their condition prevented 9.8 grading for other reasons.

If there are scattered copies out there without the defect, this book will show up in a 9.8 holder sooner than you think.

If.

No one's managed to post a scan of a "without the defect" copy yet.

If there are scattered copies out there without the defect, this book will show up in a 9.8 holder sooner than you think.

Especially after all this discussion about how tough it is to track one down, you know there is a strong chance for this to happen soon.

Remember three years ago when boardies were saying we would never see more than a few GI Joe 21's in 9.8 when that book was going for $2,000-$2,500? Peasofcrap sold his for $,2000 or more when he was just the third one in the census, and there was talk of spine stress from production at that time.

As was mentioned already, Joe #21 did NOT have the production flaws that would keep it out of 9.8.

Those who "talked of spine stress from production" didn't know what they were talking about.

Especially after all this discussion about how tough it is to track one down, you know there is a strong chance for this to happen soon.

Remember three years ago when boardies were saying we would never see more than a few GI Joe 21's in 9.8 when that book was going for $2,000-$2,500? Peasofcrap sold his for $,2000 or more when he was just the third one in the census, and there was talk of spine stress from production at that time.

As was mentioned already, Joe #21 did NOT have the production flaws that would keep it out of 9.8.

Those who "talked of spine stress from production" didn't know what they were talking about.

Exactly my point! And the census proved this out.

In the case of Wolverine 35, there is no doubt it does have such flaws. But there is a strong possibility there will be a 9.8 found if CGC recognizes even the slightest stress line was part of the production run, and those with minor imperfections will be considered the best of the lot.

CGC adjusts its grading every once in a while to account for such things, rather than grading everything the same way. After all this discussion, I would be surprised if CGC doesn't take note of the flaw (if they haven't already).

Has anyone called CGC and spoke with a grader about this book?

In the case of Wolverine 35, there is no doubt it does have such flaws. But there is a strong possibility there will be a 9.8 found if CGC recognizes even the slightest stress line was part of the production run, and those with minor imperfections will be considered the best of the lot.

CGC adjusts its grading every once in a while to account for such things, rather than grading everything the same way. After all this discussion, I would be surprised if CGC doesn't take note of the flaw (if they haven't already).

I have and the quick word was some of these defects are too severe. I would imagine if you find on with one small tear or srease it might be treated like a bindery tear at that point. have not found one yet.

I have and the quick word was some of these defects are too severe. I would imagine if you find on with one small tear or srease it might be treated like a bindery tear at that point. have not found one yet.

Good to know. I know of one person on here that "found" one with a single small stress line. We'll see what the person gets back.

:wishluck:

I just went through mine and I found one with out any bindery tears or defects like the ones shown in the pictures in this thread. It's pretty clean. But it does have one small crease on it. The crease is close to the spine by the #35. The crease doesn't break color at all. Maybe I should send this one in just to see what happens.

I'm headed out the door right now. I'll be back in few hours. I'll scan it and post the scans as soon as I get home.

I just went through mine and I found one with out any bindery tears or defects like the ones shown in the pictures in this thread. It's pretty clean. But it does have one small crease on it. The crease is close to the spine by the #35. The crease doesn't break color at all. Maybe I should send this one in just to see what happens.

I'm headed out the door right now. I'll be back in few hours. I'll scan it and post the scans as soon as I get home.

Yes, please do. :)

This is true, and happened for things like printer's creases.

But for Wolvrine #35 to "be an exception" would require the book to have an unspoken "qualified" grade. I imagine that would be fine for label chasers and registry fans, but it would always have an asterisk, because the flaw on every other book would result in a non-9.8 grade.

"This Wolverine #35 is a CGC 9.8*"

*except that it has production flaws that result in severe color breaking stress marks and even tears

And Wolvie #35 is not the only book that month with this problem.

:popcorn:

AWESOME!!!!

I get first dibs :wishluck:

lol

Based on you're the one holding the laser?

fighting0070.gif

lol

Based on you're the one holding the laser?

fighting0070.gif

MUHAHAHAHAHA :devil: