• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading New vs. Old

31 posts in this topic

However for instance I've seen an absolutely incredible Silver Surfer book that looked like it was printed yesterday, which had minor imperfections. Its almost like the book looked so brand new and good that they graded it using the same standard they used on modern books, it got only a 9.4 though to me and any collector with any sense its worth 3x more than similar books that CGC grades that may get a 9.2 or even a 9.4.

Hmmm...I think I'll have to think about this post for a while and try to decipher just exactly what your point is before I figure out how to respond. Or maybe I don't even need to? confused.gif

Sorry I just don't see people paying extra $$ for a nicer looking CGC 9.4, it's come to the point where a 9.4 is a 9.4 is a 9.4, only difference you see is how the book is cut or date stamps, page quality.

Brian

Yes and thats where having a bias towards Silver/Golden age books becomes a problem. Eventually(and it does happen) when you see that Silver Age book that looks like it was printed yesterday that still has a few flaws theres no room to express this comics superiority over comics close to or the same grade as it.

I'm not even saying its done on purpose by CGC to appease collectors/dealers, but this trend cannot be ignored as it does exist. grin.gif

"A 9.4 is a 9.4" isn't really true as you yourself can attest to - if you sell one of your 9.4 Marvel Spotlight 5's (lucky dog!), I'm sure it'll be the (more) off-centered copy, yes? Bronze Age collectors always ask about centering, page quality, and date stamps - so not all 9.4's are created equal!

Ducan - now I think I know what your referring to, and I've always advocated an "eye appeal" grade to differentiate between high grade books of equal structural condition that CGC gives the same grade to. NGC already has something like this - their "star rating" or whatever it is. For Golden and Silver Age books, I seek out copies with nice eye appeal, and the back cover corner crease or chip out of the interior page be damned! Is this what you're talking about???

However the way I see it, when a Golden/Silver age comic comes into CGC they start off from a positive viewpoint...When a modern comic comes in they start from a negative viewpoint, scrutinizing for any perceptible flaws...I'm not sure if this is policy or it just naturally evolves because of the nature of the different aged comics, but this is what is happening.
Well said. If CGC is doing this, we need to keep suggesting they refine their internal policy on these age grading differences. It's a theoretical bias for mostly inappropriate reasons.

Duncan - now I think I know what your referring to, and I've always advocated an "eye appeal" grade to differentiate between high grade books of equal structural condition that CGC gives the same grade to. NGC already has something like this - their "star rating" or whatever it is. For Golden and Silver Age books, I seek out copies with nice eye appeal, and the back cover corner crease or chip out of the interior page be damned! Is this what you're talking about???

Well this is definitely close to what I'm talking about. For people who see plenty of Silver-Age books I think they know what I'm getting at. Occassionally one sticks out and is just plain in another class than 90% of other Silver Age books. They would be that rarest of rare a Mint Silver-Age book despite a few flaws. Because 9.0 and 9.2 are given out so freely to somewhat undeserving SilverAge books, these SilverAge books that are in a different category are undervalued.

True true.....The whole grading thing would be much easier if CGC would just release thier grading standards. Ive had to learn the hard way (by sending out a gajillion books) how hard they grade down for different defects. I honestly believe that it can be figured out with some ease if you keep track of particular flaws and how hard CGC grades them down. Im surprised you havent Ricky, due to the fact that you are a higly skilled grader. I guess there are times when im even mystified by a grade a book gets but its not an exact science. confused.gif

Still, how can a new comic which is virtually perfect to the eye without any fancy black lights only get a 9.4 NM grade. The pages are perfect and white, the edges are perfect, the spine is so close to perfect--but the grade is so much lower than that which either a silver or gold age comic would receive. When you can't tell the difference visually between a new 9.4, 9.6, and 9.8, and 9.9, something is weird. Of course, all of these would be much better than an older 9.4. At least that's what I've seen from my limited experience.

Any thoughts?

the spine is so close to perfect

You just answered your own post...the number of spinal dings startes taking it down plus cover creases on the newer books may be the same extent as on an older book yet less perceptible on the newer book...