• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

This may have already been answered elsewhere in this thread (I've only managed to read through about a third of the pages), so apologies if it's readily available, but -- what sorts of "art portfolios" do folks use to store pieces?  I've framed the majority of my collection, but there are a few items that I haven't (mostly because I'm running out of wall space), and I'd like to find something I can store them in so that I can look through them from time to time.  What do you all use?  If there's a specific portfolio or other storage medium that you use, can you post a link to where you purchased it?

18 minutes ago, zagain said:

This may have already been answered elsewhere in this thread (I've only managed to read through about a third of the pages), so apologies if it's readily available, but -- what sorts of "art portfolios" do folks use to store pieces?  I've framed the majority of my collection, but there are a few items that I haven't (mostly because I'm running out of wall space), and I'd like to find something I can store them in so that I can look through them from time to time.  What do you all use?  If there's a specific portfolio or other storage medium that you use, can you post a link to where you purchased it?

I'm not sure the brand matters too much as long as the materials are archival, but it seems like most portfolios out there are Itoyas.

7 hours ago, zagain said:

I use Itoyas, too. 

Lately, however, I have taken the habit of removing some of my OA from my portfolios and placing it in what I assume are the hard mylar envelopes which are sold at shows. Then, I place them behind my home desk for viewing. When I get tired of one, I rotate it out. They do not have backers, by the way. Presumably, this is safe storage, but if not, I would like to know. 

11 minutes ago, zagain said:

So, something like this one?

Most people prefer to also get 1 size larger than the art they are storing, so it lays more flat.

I have 1 11x17 portfolio that's full, with all 11x17 pages in it, and i'm planning on replacing it, because it bows like a mother with all the pages in it full.  And eventually the art will get warped.

2 hours ago, zagain said:

So, something like this one?

I like those for the fact that you can replace the Itoya label with your own print out and label the contents.  

A little pricier, but I also like PRAT Portfolios when I have a group of pages I'd like to keep together and not have to put them in a 48 page portfolio. Like a complete story for instance. 

4 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Most people prefer to also get 1 size larger than the art they are storing, so it lays more flat.

I have 1 11x17 portfolio that's full, with all 11x17 pages in it, and i'm planning on replacing it, because it bows like a mother with all the pages in it full.  And eventually the art will get warped.

That's very helpful.  So, you would get 18 X 24?

14 hours ago, zagain said:

That's very helpful.  So, you would get 18 X 24?

Most of my pages fit nicely in the 11 x 17 size, but when when some of have been too snug, I put them in an 18 x 24. The problem I have with the bigger size is that they don't sit neatly when I open up the portfolio like they do with the 11 x 17. So, you may want to buy two.

By the way, if you get into this hobby, I guarantee you that you will fill both books--and then some.

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Most of my pages fit nicely in the 11 x 17 size, but when when some of have been too snug, I put them in an 18 x 24. The problem I have with the bigger size is that they don't sit neatly when I open up the portfolio like they do with the 11 x 17. So, you may want to buy two.

By the way, if you get into this hobby, I guarantee you that you will fill both books--and then some.

Awesome -- thank you!  I found one on Amazon if it helps anyone else in the future.  I wasn't totally sure what the next size up was.

Although I have a ton of stuff framed and up, I already have quite a few more pieces that I can use to start filling up one of these books.

Didn't really want to start a different thread for this, so I'll ask here. Does Fanfare ever have any sales? I recently came across some Immonen pages I'm interested in, but they are from several years ago and i have other financial obligations atm, so not exactly priority for me right now. Thanks 

4 hours ago, awayne83 said:

Didn't really want to start a different thread for this, so I'll ask here. Does Fanfare ever have any sales? I recently came across some Immonen pages I'm interested in, but they are from several years ago and i have other financial obligations atm, so not exactly priority for me right now. Thanks 

Everyone is always having a sale! Send in a reasonable offer and negotiate. Asking prices are often plucked right out of thin air. Then, the art sits waiting for someone to come and liberate it at saner prices.

The only way I would pay asking is if I am requesting a payment plan or to put a deposit down on something to hold it for a month or so. You generally can't have your cake (discount) and eat it too (payment plan).

Edited by BCarter27

I made the mistake of buying on speculation based on what others like VS buying for my own enjoyment, what I like. As a result, I have a lot of good art that I like, but also a lot of artwork that I bought thinking there would be market demand for the characters or artists (which, to date there is not an increased demand from when I purchased them) to resell or trade 'em.

As a result, I think, trying to look at the enjoyable hobby as a business to be monetized ruined the enjoyment.  Sure, there were some pieces that actually did go up very well, which I sold, but if I stuck to my original plan which is why I got into the hobby, of buying stuff I liked, I think my collection (and bank account) would be a lot better looking.

2 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

I made the mistake of buying on speculation based on what others like VS buying for my own enjoyment, what I like. As a result, I have a lot of good art that I like, but also a lot of artwork that I bought thinking there would be market demand for the characters or artists (which, to date there is not an increased demand from when I purchased them) to resell or trade 'em.

As a result, I think, trying to look at the enjoyable hobby as a business to be monetized ruined the enjoyment.  Sure, there were some pieces that actually did go up very well, which I sold, but if I stuck to my original plan which is why I got into the hobby, of buying stuff I liked, I think my collection (and bank account) would be a lot better looking.

Let me add that you should probably buy what you like with the assumption you will never get your money out of it (even if you eventually do).

10 hours ago, BeholdersEye said:

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Let me add that you should probably buy what you like with the assumption you will never get your money out of it (even if you eventually do).

This thread is titled "New to OA Collecting..." so Rick's advice is appropriate to that, but I'll add that many a fortune has been made rejecting that assumption by ex-New folks ;)

6 hours ago, vodou said:

This thread is titled "New to OA Collecting..." so Rick's advice is appropriate to that, but I'll add that many a fortune has been made rejecting that assumption by ex-New folks ;)

I'm wondering in the years ahead how many of those made fortunes will be lost. Tulipmania anyone?

17 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I'm wondering in the years ahead how many of those made fortunes will be lost. Tulipmania anyone?

One could say that of anything...just like there's a glut of lawyers out there :devil:

It's all in the details and how one manages their "fortune".

Apologies if I've posted this here or in the scanner thread before...

Microsoft ICE. A great Windows application for stitching together DPS, 2-up, and other large art scans-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/

Edited by BCarter27

On 3/1/2018 at 12:03 PM, BCarter27 said:

For all you shippers out there-

https://airfloatsystems.com/product/printpad-lined/

This might be good for those high dollar pieces.

FYI, I bought one of these and used it for a trade recently for shipping in both directions. It was very easy to use and very durable. Can't recommend it enough!

I would also consider drop-shipping one to a seller for a high dollar purchase.

Edited by BCarter27