• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

This will actually help answer the previous question and share a cool way to display art. 

I recently bought some displays for art and wanted to share.

I screwed them into an interior wall, so no temp shifts and there is no natural light in the room. They are easy to hang. I bag and board the art and then once in the frame, it's ready to view and easy to switch out. 

DSCN5046.JPG

DSCN5045.JPG

DSCN5044.JPG

4 hours ago, Drewsky said:

This will actually help answer the previous question and share a cool way to display art. 

I recently bought some displays for art and wanted to share.

I screwed them into an interior wall, so no temp shifts and there is no natural light in the room. They are easy to hang. I bag and board the art and then once in the frame, it's ready to view and easy to switch out. 

DSCN5046.JPG

DSCN5045.JPG

DSCN5044.JPG

Thanks mate (thumbsu

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, awayne83 said:

Didn't really want to start a different thread for this, so I'll ask here. Does Fanfare ever have any sales? I recently came across some Immonen pages I'm interested in, but they are from several years ago and i have other financial obligations atm, so not exactly priority for me right now. Thanks 

Well, based on what Tom told me when I was in his shop looking through art, and trying to negotiate prices, he said that it totally depends on the artist. Generally, they are not willing to sell their pages for anything less than the listed price. I think that is particularly true for Stuart Immonen (and if you are talking about a Star Wars page, that is probably the case). As he explained it, the artists are perfectly content to hold onto their pages, rather than sel them at a reduced rate. And I think a guy like Immonen, who has a pretty steady art income, that is probably the case. But, it never hurts to ask.

19 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, based on what Tom told me when I was in his shop looking through art, and trying to negotiate prices, he said that it totally depends on the artist. Generally, they are not willing to sell their pages for anything less than the listed price. I think that is particularly true for Stuart Immonen (and if you are talking about a Star Wars page, that is probably the case). As he explained it, the artists are perfectly content to hold onto their pages, rather than sel them at a reduced rate. And I think a guy like Immonen, who has a pretty steady art income, that is probably the case. But, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for the reply! 

3 hours ago, awayne83 said:

Could someone direct me to where to buy Amanda Connor art? Looks like at one point she was with Albert Moy, but i couldn't find any pages

I spoke to her and jimmy palmiotti 2 week ago in Calgary comic con,
she don't bring any original art
and explain to me they are in the process to post their  art for sale online
they give me the business card with the site information
but when I search the link,  the page was not ready.

It look like its going to take a while to be ready,
but eventually is coming.

Sorry I don't keep the info after that...

2 hours ago, MagnusX said:

I spoke to her and jimmy palmiotti 2 week ago in Calgary comic con,
she don't bring any original art
and explain to me they are in the process to post their  art for sale online
they give me the business card with the site information
but when I search the link,  the page was not ready.

It look like its going to take a while to be ready,
but eventually is coming.

Sorry I don't keep the info after that...

Thank you! At least i know it's not out there somewhere and i just can't find it. I will keep an eye out for announcements then

Anyone know what is going on with Heritage? Are we back into shilling again?

i bid on one piece and was watching another in this last big auction.  The Longshot page by Art Adams that I bid on, it had no reserve.  Now it is up for auction in the next big HA.  It says “Not Sold” on the piece where I bid on it. The Not Sold explanation says that it did not meet reserve.

another piece that I was watching was a Conan 23 page.  This one sold as well.  But it is up for sale in the next big HA as well.

i was only eyeballing about 20 art pieces.  So for 2 of these 20 to be back up for auction, is scary as hell to me.

Anyone noticed this or have any input?

Thanks

Allen

27 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

Anyone know what is going on with Heritage? Are we back into shilling again?

i bid on one piece and was watching another in this last big auction.  The Longshot page by Art Adams that I bid on, it had no reserve.  Now it is up for auction in the next big HA.  It says “Not Sold” on the piece where I bid on it. The Not Sold explanation says that it did not meet reserve.

another piece that I was watching was a Conan 23 page.  This one sold as well.  But it is up for sale in the next big HA as well.

i was only eyeballing about 20 art pieces.  So for 2 of these 20 to be back up for auction, is scary as hell to me.

Anyone noticed this or have any input?

Thanks

Allen

Also, pretty sure that the FF Art Adams splash from this last HA was in the Feb auction?  Could someone confirm that?

Also, for the record, personally I don’t care if people shill their items as long as they have to pay the 19.5% or 10% or whatever the commission is, if they win it back.  But i seriously doubt this person/s are paying 19.5% and immediately re-listing the item for sale in the next auction.  That would defy logic.

Allen

5 minutes ago, Doc67 said:

Also, pretty sure that the FF Art Adams splash from this last HA was in the Feb auction?  Could someone confirm that?

Also, for the record, personally I don’t care if people shill their items as long as they have to pay the 19.5% or 10% or whatever the commission is, if they win it back.  But i seriously doubt this person/s are paying 19.5% and immediately re-listing the item for sale in the next auction.  That would defy logic.

Allen

Allen,

There was an active post a couple of years back about a dealer engaging other bidders to bid on his behalf if a piece didn’t sell for a pre-determined amount. If one of the said bidders were to win the auction, then the dealer would arrange a trade of other piece(s) in exchange for the auctioned piece. Whether this is morally right is personal, but this is not too dissimilar from the fine art world where dealers will engage a similar tactic on their own represented artists to ensure the value of their artists’ work maintains a certain level.

Like it or not, this is probably still going on b/c in the current Comiclink auction I did extensive research on an artist and the recently realized auction results for his covers & covers for a particular series. I was prepared to pay 3x for an example of this series by the said artist (which is owned and consigned by a dealer). Early on, I saw that the bid was incrementally bid up until it reached my max & it just stayed there for most of the auction. Maybe everyone that was interested had the same calculus as I did, but it still raises doubt given this dealer dynamic.

As a collector, we either have to accept this dynamic in the secondary market or strictly purchase from the primary market (new art) which may or may not align with your collecting goals.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:07 AM, chico_suave_58 said:

Allen,

There was an active post a couple of years back about a dealer engaging other bidders to bid on his behalf if a piece didn’t sell for a pre-determined amount. If one of the said bidders were to win the auction, then the dealer would arrange a trade of other piece(s) in exchange for the auctioned piece. Whether this is morally right is personal, but this is not too dissimilar from the fine art world where dealers will engage a similar tactic on their own represented artists to ensure the value of their artists’ work maintains a certain level.

Like it or not, this is probably still going on b/c in the current Comiclink auction I did extensive research on an artist and the recently realized auction results for his covers & covers for a particular series. I was prepared to pay 3x for an example of this series by the said artist (which is owned and consigned by a dealer). Early on, I saw that the bid was incrementally bid up until it reached my max & it just stayed there for most of the auction. Maybe everyone that was interested had the same calculus as I did, but it still raises doubt given this dealer dynamic.

As a collector, we either have to accept this dynamic in the secondary market or strictly purchase from the primary market (new art) which may or may not align with your collecting goals.

My father used to tell me that the best way to play office politics is to not play office politics. Just do your job the best you can.

The same with bidding. Figure out what you are comfortable spending, and don’t go over it (by more than a little, no one is perfect). Then it doesn’t matter if someone is shilling or not. 

Can someone with a better understanding of the art process please explain this piece to me please?

It does appear to be two separate pieces with one perhaps on acetate. Are they both original artwork? 

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FPreviewCode%3D2018june%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dpowerpuff%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item_1257718&id=1257718&itemType=1

Looks to me like the original pencils on the art board are in non-repro blue pencil. Including a few whiteout touchup spots. This was then inked on a tissue (or possibly velum) overlay. So as best I can tell, original blueline pencils on board. All original inks on the tissue/velum overlay.

This is one of those working methods that give me pause when buying online, just because without good scans it can be hard to tell the exact truth of the production. In hand it would be easy to make out if the blue pencils were the originals, or just a blueline copied onto a production board. But what makes me think it's the original pencils is, why bother inking on an overlay, if the board was just a copy? That is, unless he didn't have the original pencils on hand, and didn't want to risk a flub on the only copy of the pencils he had?

Pretty certain the inks are original. Pencils look like they could be, and there's definitely whiteout on that pencil board, but it's harder to say with certainty, given how uniform they look in the scans. That's my best guess without an in-hand examination... in hand, you'd probably know right away.

Edited by ESeffinga

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Looks to me like the original pencils on the art board are in non-repro blue pencil. Including a few whiteout touchup spots. This was then inked on a tissue (or possibly velum) overlay. So as best I can tell, original blueline pencils on board. All original inks on the tissue/velum overlay.

This is one of those working methods that give me pause when buying online, just because without good scans it can be hard to tell the exact truth of the production. In hand it would be easy to make out if the blue pencils were the originals, or just a blueline copied onto a production board. But what makes me think it's the original pencils is, why bother inking on an overlay, if the board was just a copy? That is, unless he didn't have the original pencils on hand, and didn't want to risk a flub on the only copy of the pencils he had?

Pretty certain the inks are original. Pencils look like they could be, and there's definitely whiteout on that pencil board, but it's harder to say with certainty, given how uniform they look in the scans. That's my best guess without an in-hand examination... in hand, you'd probably know right away.

The art that I collect is older than this with the ink and pencils on the same page.

How would a piece like this be valued? Would a cover done in two isolated pages be worth more, less or the same as a cover done on one piece of paper. 

Edited by buyatari