• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Ehh I didn't show it to her yet.

Not sure if she even knows who the Powerpuff Girls are. 

oh so its for you.............................:eek:    

lol

10 minutes ago, buyatari said:

lol   lol 

:takeit:

No, definitely after my time and not for me.

I know nothing of this tv show. 

I don't judge...... :whistle:

Powerpuff Girls are freaking rad!

As for the values on work like this, I've not got a clue, I have to confess. I watched the cartoon, and I'm not ashamed of it. But ever collected any of the art. I'd think the prices may have dipped with their popularity from a decade and a half ago, but I really don't know.

I can only imagine the covers done ink on board rather than inked separately would be more than done this way, like on most books.

31 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

As for the values on work like this, I've not got a clue, I have to confess. I watched the cartoon, and I'm not ashamed of it. But ever collected any of the art. I'd think the prices may have dipped with their popularity from a decade and a half ago, but I really don't know.

I can only imagine the covers done ink on board rather than inked separately would be more than done this way, like on most books.

While I do buy cartoon covers like this for my daughter from time to time I doubt I'm buying this one. She is too young to know the characters.  

Specifically, I was curious how any cover value would change if it was drawn on two sheets as opposed to one. 

So pick any cover that drawn on one sheet of paper you feel that you have a good idea of value for and now split it up on two pieces of paper. Is it worth more, less or the same?

49 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Me too would be a pure nostalgia buy if I went after it. Remember watching it when I was younger along with a few other cartoons. I actually regret not going after a lot of Samurai Jack pages from issue one that adapted the first episode that sold a while back.

15 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Specifically, I was curious how any cover value would change if it was drawn on two sheets as opposed to one. 

So pick any cover that drawn on one sheet of paper you feel that you have a good idea of value for and now split it up on two pieces of paper. Is it worth more, less or the same?

In that case, that's a topic that's been touched on a bit over the years... I'm sure there are at least a dozen more kicking around on here. At the end of the day it depends on the combination of everything. Who's the penciller, who's the inker? What's the title and how were most of the covers on that title handled? As with most things OA related. There is only one at the end of the day (MOST of the time) and that means it's all on a sliding scale, and depending on who is doing the calculating. But these threads might give you some thoughts on where people are falling...

On 6/4/2018 at 9:00 AM, ESeffinga said:

Looks to me like the original pencils on the art board are in non-repro blue pencil. Including a few whiteout touchup spots. This was then inked on a tissue (or possibly velum) overlay. So as best I can tell, original blueline pencils on board. All original inks on the tissue/velum overlay.

This is one of those working methods that give me pause when buying online, just because without good scans it can be hard to tell the exact truth of the production. In hand it would be easy to make out if the blue pencils were the originals, or just a blueline copied onto a production board. But what makes me think it's the original pencils is, why bother inking on an overlay, if the board was just a copy? That is, unless he didn't have the original pencils on hand, and didn't want to risk a flub on the only copy of the pencils he had?

Pretty certain the inks are original. Pencils look like they could be, and there's definitely whiteout on that pencil board, but it's harder to say with certainty, given how uniform they look in the scans. That's my best guess without an in-hand examination... in hand, you'd probably know right away.

Can't someone just ask Clink for a better description/clarification?

14 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

I wish.

Now there's a germ of an idea for a website. Dedicated professional artists and writers would be asked to post general information about their schedules and activities, along with cross-references to their own websites or those of their agents. That way, information could be easily found by the community.

Didn't want to create a new topic for a simple question so figured the newbie thread is a good place to post.

I know older OA where the artist used markers is notorious for fading.  Is that also the case with modern copic markers?  I know Mark Brooks at Artgerm use a lot of copics.  Just curious.  Thanks!

Edited by Sooners151

20 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

Did want to create a new topic for a simple question so figured the newbie thread is a good place to post.

I know older OA where the artist used markers is notorious for fading.  Is that also the case with modern copic markers?  I know Mark Brooks at Artgerm use a lot of copics.  Just curious.  Thanks!

My understanding is the Copics will also fade

Malvin

On 4/6/2018 at 12:27 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Let me add that you should probably buy what you like with the assumption you will never get your money out of it (even if you eventually do).

This is a general question for everyone and not just for Rick2you2, but what other stuff do you collect?  I want certain pieces of OA, but money is obviously a limiting factor.  It's hard to convince myself to by a 4 figure piece that would cost almost as much as a down payment on a new car, or a mid to high grade IH181, or is valued at more than my entire collection of comics.  The car at least provides utilitarian value, the IH181 will bring me some value eventually should i re-sell, and the comics provide entertainment over an extended length of time.  I realize that some pieces will hold value if from superstar artists (Batman: Hush comes to mind).  (And by "hold value", I mean they're not likely to lose 80% of the value over my lifetime).  But for the other 99% of modern OA that hits the market each week, how much demand is reasonably out there.  For example, if someone were to buy the cover of The Sentry #1, I just can't imagine there being a large market of buyers 30 years down the road.  I just feel like certain books are meaningful to us in the here and now.  A new collector 30 years from now will find meaning in the books of the future and less so in some of the drek of today (unless it's a key book/artist of some kind).  I dunno, I'm new and naive to all of this, and most importantly, too poor to buy the stuff I wish I could have.

Your questions on value retention in comic book are valid. I would not tie my IRA to OA with the possible exceptions of a very small group of artists. It should be considered an expense. Ditto for comics.

As for what I collect - air miles, comics, and comic art.

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

This is a general question for everyone and not just for Rick2you2, but what other stuff do you collect?  I want certain pieces of OA, but money is obviously a limiting factor.  It's hard to convince myself to by a 4 figure piece that would cost almost as much as a down payment on a new car, or a mid to high grade IH181, or is valued at more than my entire collection of comics.  The car at least provides utilitarian value, the IH181 will bring me some value eventually should i re-sell, and the comics provide entertainment over an extended length of time.  I realize that some pieces will hold value if from superstar artists (Batman: Hush comes to mind).  (And by "hold value", I mean they're not likely to lose 80% of the value over my lifetime).  But for the other 99% of modern OA that hits the market each week, how much demand is reasonably out there.  For example, if someone were to buy the cover of The Sentry #1, I just can't imagine there being a large market of buyers 30 years down the road.  I just feel like certain books are meaningful to us in the here and now.  A new collector 30 years from now will find meaning in the books of the future and less so in some of the drek of today (unless it's a key book/artist of some kind).  I dunno, I'm new and naive to all of this, and most importantly, too poor to buy the stuff I wish I could have.

You have good instincts, although, I wouldn't call it drek. The professionals who do it work hard and produce quality illustrations. Some are better; some are fan favorites, but if it is published, it has to have some artistic merit.

Regarding value, I think this is a hobby which will eventually go into decline as the number of comic book buyers drop. Either the price on the older stuff will decline in value eventually or sit, unsold, at a high price. You can already see that in the sales price stagnation and turnover of less popular artists or subjects from the 1970's (even while others keep increasing). By way of example, how many active China doll and marble collectors are still busy? That's been a topic before. 

My suggestion is that you stay away from the stuff you wish you could have if you could afford it because that's the thinking which can lead to a financial wreck. I don't buy things except from "play money".

To answer your other question, my collectible hobbies tend to be cyclical. Previously, I bought construction industry memorabilia (no, it is not a recognized collectible hobby).