• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Both of you make great points (hey Malvin!) and I’ll take them into account. Appreciate your thoughts!

And no truer words have been spoken.. the pain of regret is definitely amplified in this hobby of ours.

Edited by T Shen

On 11/3/2018 at 9:44 PM, T Shen said:

I obviously find it easier to do so if a piece is posted on the internet but just feel awkward when I’m face to face with the artist/seller. Anyone care to share their experience?

I am the exact opposite. I have no problem asking when face to face, (even on single items!) but find it difficult when a piece is posted on the net. It feels awkward because I can't see their reaction or feel them out.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:24 PM, Shemp said:

I am the exact opposite. I have no problem asking when face to face, (even on single items!) but find it difficult when a piece is posted on the net. It feels awkward because I can't see their reaction or feel them out.

The other danger is that if the piece is really good, someone else may be offering a higher amount and you get effectively outbid. I had that once, so unless I know something has been around a while, I generally offer the requested amount. Even then, I might break that rule if the price still seemed high.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:41 AM, Rick2you2 said:

The other danger is that if the piece is really good, someone else may be offering a higher amount and you get effectively outbid. I had that once, so unless I know something has been around a while, I generally offer the requested amount. Even then, I might break that rule if the price still seemed high.

Oh yes of course. I should’ve clarified as I would really only offer a lower amount for something that’s been around for a little. I wouldn’t dare to risk haggling on pages from new books that have just been released for the risk of losing out on it.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Coming from somebody who just wrapped up their first year in the hobby I will add that many of the mistakes are great because it helped me learn what to do and not to do and what I like and what I don't like. Having said that I spent a lot on multiple pages that I kind of liked and could have purchased maybe a few of ones that would have been outstanding to have. Also short-term flips for profit is a horrible idea. 

I love it and don't see myself slowing down anytime soon. Feel like I graduated from a freshman to a sophomore this year. :)

Hopefully you stayed in the shallow end of the spending pool and your freshman year tuition was not too expensive. 

So question for all. I have an original commisson on art board drawing that is 9x12. I originally wanted to frame it. But I have no place to hang art. So I was wondering what is best way to protect the piece still without framing it. Like get some sort of slab like thing, bag and board like a comic etc.....

1 hour ago, Webhead2018 said:

So question for all. I have an original commisson on art board drawing that is 9x12. I originally wanted to frame it. But I have no place to hang art. So I was wondering what is best way to protect the piece still without framing it. Like get some sort of slab like thing, bag and board like a comic etc.....

A large mylar sleeve or toploader is a good way to go.  If you add more pieces later, consider getting an Itoya portfolio.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, Webhead2018 said:

Depending on how nice and rare a piece, for my best pieces I get a mylar with an acid free backing board.  I put microchamber paper between the art and the board.  I bought all of this stuff from bagsunlimited.  Then I put this in an acid free storage box.  I am going away from the itoya portfolios.

39 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Were these directly in the light?  Was it in a frame?  Do you have more details about how this was stored?

Unfortunately, I don't have more information about the conditions they were displayed in, but are just two recent examples I came across.

4 hours ago, Peter L said:

Depending on how nice and rare a piece, for my best pieces I get a mylar with an acid free backing board.  I put microchamber paper between the art and the board.  I bought all of this stuff from bagsunlimited.  Then I put this in an acid free storage box.  I am going away from the itoya portfolios.

And keep it in a dark, dry place.