• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

This is 100% untrue. 

Any light will cause harm. All to varying degrees. Artificial lights are not all created equal.

After something like a full-spectrum UV bulb (which most people never have at home, barring some kind of terrarium or fish tank) the worst common bulbs are Fluorescents. They are the absolute worst. Followed by various incandescent bulbs. The least damaging light source are LED bulbs, as they carry the most limited spectrum light, and are the least harmful to art. That said, not even all LEDs are the same. It’s worth doing a little research and giving care to what you light the room/house with.

I switched our whole house over to LEDs a couple years ago now. Wouldn’t go back.

The Smithsonian limits light exposure to the Star Spangled Banner and the Declaration of Independence every day. The lighting is super dim for a reason.

Watercolor and marker are the most likely to feel the effects of fade. That said, a copic marker commission of Nightcrawler or a modern art page are hardly the Declaration of Independence. I’ve happily had several watercolors hanging in my home 2 decades, with no discernible effects. Any fading that may have happened (indistinguishable at a glance) is well worth 20 years of every day enjoyment.

I keep these pieces on walls that get no direct sunlight. Beyond that, no weirdo contraptions. No super light blocking curtains. No over the top protections. They are in my hallway. I pass them every day. Every day. Just happy to see them every time I walk past. It’s been what, 7300+ days?

I’d rather enjoy them than have them be archival pristine and have only seen them 1/10th as often or less.  

But that’s just me.

You clearly know more than I do. I stand corrected.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:04 AM, ESeffinga said:

I’ve talked about how much I cut my collection back, and how rigidly I try and control and curate it.

The knock on effect to that, is that there is a LOT of art that I greatly enjoy seeing, but just physically, mentally or financially can never own and/or manage. My outlet for this has been art books. I have a room full of them. I really love a great art book day. Is it as much fun as a new original art day? Honestly sometimes it can be. And more importantly, it is a brilliant solution to many issues. The only one it doesn’t solve is space.  Boy those books sure do add up quick. :)

Books are a menace! Art books, comic history books, biographies, reprints, etc. A space eating menace!

10 minutes ago, alxjhnsn said:

Books are a menace! Art books, comic history books, biographies, reprints, etc. A space eating menace!

100% correct. But the alternative is digital on a screen...NO THANK YOU.

I'm sticking with physical objects :)

2 hours ago, vodou said:

100% correct. But the alternative is digital on a screen...NO THANK YOU.

I'm sticking with physical objects :)

Me, too. The exception for me is what I call "airplane fodder." The stuff I read on planes and don't want to physically carry or keep forever.

Which medium fades more quickly? pencil-only art or inked art? Everything from my collection is from 2010, onward, so I imagine most of the artists were using archival quality inks and materials, but I'm not sure their life-expectancy. How quickly have some of your pieces faded when exposed to minimal light, and once they start, does the fading get exponentially worse despite whatever you do?

On 10/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, Mike R V said:

Which medium fades more quickly? pencil-only art or inked art? Everything from my collection is from 2010, onward, so I imagine most of the artists were using archival quality inks and materials, but I'm not sure their life-expectancy. How quickly have some of your pieces faded when exposed to minimal light, and once they start, does the fading get exponentially worse despite whatever you do?

Graphite particles don't really "fade". Inks would be more likely to, but are certainly more resistant than color. Based on all of the examples, I think the first thing you will see with a B&W inked piece is paper tanning. Modern acid-free Bristol is certainly more archival than older materials, but sun damage is still a concern. Rotate your wall pieces every few months or at least keep them out of direct sunlight and use museum plexi.

Edited by BCarter27

On 10/31/2019 at 1:40 PM, BCarter27 said:

Graphite particles don't really "fade". Inks would be more likely too, but are certainly more resistant than color. Based on all of the examples, I think the first thing you will see with a B&W inked piece is paper tanning. Modern acid-free Bristol is certainly more archival than older materials, but sun damage is still a concern. Rotate your wall pieces every few months or at least keep them out of direct sunlight and use museum plexi.

How long does it take before damage is noticeable?

I think like I have a good set up, but paranoia often gets the best of me. My art on display is all framed with archival material and museum glass (or glass with equivalent light protection. The room the art is in has black out curtains and I have a dehumidifier running in the room most days.

I'd like to to learn more about the aesthetic qualities of comic oa, things the artist is doing on the page, learn why I like the work I like and gain a better appreciation for what goes into the craft of comics. Does anyone know of any good resources for learning more about this, books or websites or anything else that have been helpful? What terms would I even search for to find more info about this?

38 minutes ago, NewCollector101 said:

Does anyone know of any good resources for learning more about this, books or websites or anything else that have been helpful? What terms would I even search for to find more info about this?

http://scottmccloud.com/2-print/1-uc/index.html

http://scottmccloud.com/2-print/3-mc/index.html

13 hours ago, NewCollector101 said:

I'd like to to learn more about the aesthetic qualities of comic oa, things the artist is doing on the page, learn why I like the work I like and gain a better appreciation for what goes into the craft of comics. Does anyone know of any good resources for learning more about this, books or websites or anything else that have been helpful? What terms would I even search for to find more info about this?

Cross-posting my reply from the other thread...

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud is a great book, done in a simple and easy to follow way. It's more fun than a textbook, using the very medium he is discussing. Gary Martin and Steve Rude's Understanding Inking is a solid book as well, for understanding some of the nuts and bolts of how inking is not just a form of drawing outlines for a pencil piece, but the dynamic changes it can make to a single image. There are countless books on general art composition, theory and philosophy. I like Molly Bang's book How Pictures Work, if you want to get into a real understanding of composition

McCloud and Martin's books are great! I have to check out the Molly Bang book.

36 minutes ago, NewCollector101 said:

I think I'm gonna start with the Scott McCloud book and go from there.

I'd also add Terry Moore's drawing book as well as the magazines from Two Morrows. Rough Stuff, iirc, had a great column by Bob McLeod where he would break down sample pages and show you how to rework them. It was fascinating. And of course, their Comic Artist and Modern Masters series are just gold through and through!

https://twomorrows.com/

On 1/17/2020 at 8:54 AM, NewCollector101 said:

https://comicbookinvest.com/category/original-art-aficionado/page/9/

On 1/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, NewCollector101 said:

As a word of caution, don’t let what you read change your personal aesthetics and convince you to buy something which doesn’t really resonate with you. No matter what I have read or heard, I just can’t get a personal appreciation of Jack Kirby’s work. And that includes reading his biography. I would not be happy later if I bought one of his pieces, or paid that kind of money for it. Also, don’t confuse pricing with quality. A lot of the higher pricing is driven by nostalgia, not just quality. Personally, I think that Tom Mandrake’s work on the Spectre is particular under-valued by the market, even though it checks off all the boxes I like to see in a piece. So, be careful what you read.

I purchased two pages (one Hellraiser by John Van Fleet, and one from Marshall Rogers' "Safe Streets" from Bizarre Adventures) in which the text balloons and and captions are on a piece of tracing paper taped to the top edge of the original art. The tracing paper is not pristine, with some cracks and folds, but the underlying art is fine. Obviously leaving it "as is" preserves both pages most reliably, but then the art pages are quite obscured. Is there an accepted way to separate the pages and then store the text page so the art can be seen? The three options are "cut the tape" or "fold the tracing page behind the art page" or "never mess with original art."

Is it recommended to use silica bags or any other desiccant when storing work? If it makes a difference, I have my pages in mylar sleeves with backing boards & microchamber paper, stored in a flat file box.