• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Another Itoya collection: I tried putting Bristol pages in both sides of each sleeve, but that tended to make the covers bulge outward, and I don't want to bend the individual pages through long storage like that.  Should I:

A) Not worry; that doesn't happen.

B) Put only one page in each sleeve, and that should do it.

C) Put pages in both sides of every other sleeve, and then cut out the unused sleeves if I don't want all those blank pages

D) Other

29 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Another Itoya collection: I tried putting Bristol pages in both sides of each sleeve, but that tended to make the covers bulge outward, and I don't want to bend the individual pages through long storage like that.  Should I:

C) Put pages in both sides of every other sleeve, and then cut out the unused sleeves if I don't want all those blank pages

D) Other

I put them on both sides of each Itoya page, but I store them flat. Anything really valuable or delicate (commissions drawn on paper, for example) first goes into its own top loader before being placed into an Itoya. So far, no problems.

16 hours ago, RBerman said:

D) Other

A. Or B if you're feeling a Spider-tingle about A.

I received a page in the mail that has a large crease through it (post office's fault), I was wondering if anybody has any advice for flattening it? Everything I can find on google seems to recommend ironing it, which makes me a little nervous.

20200223_124356.jpg

Edited by NC101

you can iron it or put it in a press but if you have a lot of itoyas stick it in there, put this one on the bottom and wait a year and it will be fine. You might not even know it was ever there after enough time passes

16 hours ago, NC101 said:

I received a page in the mail that has a large crease through it (post office's fault), I was wondering if anybody has any advice for flattening it? Everything I can find on google seems to recommend ironing it, which makes me a little nervous.

There are probably some Youtube vids out there about how to steam it before putting it under pressure. These come in handy! --

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=rinzler+star+wars+making+of+(hardcover%2CHC)&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_odkw=rinzler+star+wars+making+of

22 hours ago, NC101 said:

I'd go with weight as well and see if it bothers you after a while

On 2/23/2020 at 3:21 PM, Bird said:

you can iron it or put it in a press but if you have a lot of itoyas stick it in there, put this one on the bottom and wait a year and it will be fine. You might not even know it was ever there after enough time passes

Personally, I have no problem with it, but some people on another thread claimed that for comics, at least, this qualifies as "pressing" and hence, restoration. I don't consider it restoration.

I am interesting in a page but am hesitant as it would be the first 'expensive' page I have ever purchased. It is an Adam Hughes Page but it seems odd to be the DC label and cumber is on the sheet? Is this normal? When I see newer work the art is essentially a virgin cover.

ADAM HUGHES - Wonder Woman #156 cover, Wonder Woman in chains! vs Devastation

19 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

I am interesting in a page but am hesitant as it would be the first 'expensive' page I have ever purchased. It is an Adam Hughes Page but it seems odd to be the DC label and cumber is on the sheet? Is this normal? When I see newer work the art is essentially a virgin cover.

No. Not typical at all. You have a right to be suspicious.

The DC logo extends beyond the borders of the cover, leading me to think it is a fake. It doesn’t even look like the logo was pasted on. I suspect it is a copy.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 2/27/2020 at 9:18 AM, ignimbrite said:

Seller, venue, and price might shed some light.

The presence of the issue number, DC symbol, and comics code logo does seem odd. Perhaps it's a mark in favor of authenticity that the DC button extends beyond the border of the printed comic onto the white space though? I'd certainly ask for an up-close photo to verify whether those elements are pasted on or are printed on.

19 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

That does shed some light

I would strongly recommend due diligence on the sellers and you won't find a shortage of threads on this very forum. 

The first thing I would do is reach out to Adam and Allison to get there opinion

16 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

OK, things are making more sense. The masthead is on an overlay. For instance, they also list issue #155's cover by Hughes without the masthead overlay:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=280837&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room

And with the masthead overlay:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=304299&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room

Their Adam Hughes cover for #195 has all the masthead elements clearly shown as separate elements, including the UPC code:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=304301&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room

The elements are also pasted on this AH JLA cover:

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=299501&ArtistId=410&Details=0&From=Room

Hello everyone,

I think I’m in the right place because I have OA questions and I’m a complete newbie about it outside of a few blank cover sketches I’ve acquired at conventions. 

I’ve been collecting comics for 9 years now (as an adult, I also owned comics as a child but wouldn’t consider that kid a “collector”), and after having a couple of blank cover sketches done, I found that I loved having sketches that were mine. I think I was amazed by how my poorly articulated requests were converted into impressive works of art.

Now that the seal has been broken, I find myself interested in acquiring pages and jam pieces to add to my collection. As a big fan of going to conventions and meeting and chatting with the creators, I have some questions about OA at cons.

1. What do you use to carry your purchases and works-in-progress around at conventions? I saw that Itoyas are the most common recommendation for storing art, but are they equally viable for transport around a show floor or should look into something more secure, if there is anything like that at all?

2. If I’m expecting to meet an artist I’m a fan of at an upcoming show, is it alright to reach out to them or their rep about bringing a certain piece to the show with them? I know we often have a “never hurts to ask” attitude in the world of comic collecting, but I’d like to build relationships with these people over time and not complicate that by overstepping boundaries during our first interaction.

3. This may be the wrong spot on the boards, but, specifically for jam pieces, is there a roughly accurate way to determine what an artist will charge for a jam piece contribution? I see quite a bit of commission information on websites and reps’ websites, but seeing as how a jam requires a portion of an 11x17 page and not the entire thing, I’m curious what I should expect price-wise as I embark on my first piece.