• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

I just received a double page splash that is taped together in the back. There's no problem with me slicing the tape in the middle so I can fit both pages individually in my portfolio is there?

30 minutes ago, Nuttzo said:

I just received a double page splash that is taped together in the back. There's no problem with me slicing the tape in the middle so I can fit both pages individually in my portfolio is there?

To each their own, but I'd get a bigger portfolio.

43 minutes ago, Nuttzo said:

I don't see an issue, but I usually keep taped DPS together, even in a sleeve/portfolio.  Can you put it together and you can see both sides? not at once of course.

Malvin

3 hours ago, Nuttzo said:

If I separate them I can still see them in the portfolio at once with a slight gap between them. Or I can just fold it and see one page at a time.

I have done exactly the same thing on several of them. Tape is not “vintage”.

8 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have done exactly the same thing on several of them. Tape is not “vintage”.

Just remember, those portfolio’s are not Mylar and are not intended for permanent storage. I use them anyway on my less expensive stuff, and I keep them away from light in a dry place. The better stuff gets placed in Mylar sleeves and then placed in large Itoya’s, assuming I can find a large enough one. Oversized pieces remain a problem.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just remember, those portfolio’s are not Mylar and are not intended for permanent storage. I use them anyway on my less expensive stuff, and I keep them away from light in a dry place. The better stuff gets placed in Mylar sleeves and then placed in large Itoya’s, assuming I can find a large enough one. Oversized pieces remain a problem.

I have been placing them in 11x17 toploaders and then into the 13x19 portfolio pages.

I've enjoyed looking at various jam pieces here and elsewhere. Is this still a thing? What are the ins and outs? What size paper is typical? Any difficulties getting artists to contribute? Any things to ask specifically or avoid asking specifically from contributors?

19 hours ago, RBerman said:

I've enjoyed looking at various jam pieces here and elsewhere. Is this still a thing? What are the ins and outs? What size paper is typical? Any difficulties getting artists to contribute? Any things to ask specifically or avoid asking specifically from contributors?

Jams are still a thing. My biggest suggestion is to think it out before you start. Know what you want in terms of characters and layout. Find an artist that will layout the entire piece and likely do the first finished piece on the jam. Decide what characters, poses, do you want artists to pencil and ink each character or just pencils and one inker finish the entire piece? Paper size is up to you. Some artists will be difficult or even impossible to get on a piece, do your homework. 

Jams look great when done well but all it take is one stinker to ruin a good piece. They can be fun and rewarding but can take a lot of work. 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

Jams are still a thing. My biggest suggestion is to think it out before you start. Know what you want in terms of characters and layout. Find an artist that will layout the entire piece and likely do the first finished piece on the jam. Decide what characters, poses, do you want artists to pencil and ink each character or just pencils and one inker finish the entire piece? Paper size is up to you. Some artists will be difficult or even impossible to get on a piece, do your homework. 

Jams look great when done well but all it take is one stinker to ruin a good piece. They can be fun and rewarding but can take a lot of work. 

Good observations. Obviously a single inker gives a more unified result, but I'd rather have each artist's style come through on pencil and ink. Does having the first artist do layout assume that all of the artists (and characters) are known in advance? I envisioned an additive process with different artists on different occasions being invited to add a signature character to the work, so that the final result would depend on who's available and willing to contribute. I'm leery of shipping the piece repeatedly all over the country (or world) and would probably solicit participants at conventions. Is that an effective approach?

2 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Good observations. Obviously a single inker gives a more unified result, but I'd rather have each artist's style come through on pencil and ink. Does having the first artist do layout assume that all of the artists (and characters) are known in advance? I envisioned an additive process with different artists on different occasions being invited to add a signature character to the work, so that the final result would depend on who's available and willing to contribute. I'm leery of shipping the piece repeatedly all over the country (or world) and would probably solicit participants at conventions. Is that an effective approach?

Not many do a single inker from my observations with the possible exception being when the jam is only pencils and the inks are done via blue line. I tend to agree with you that I would want the individual artists style to come through with the inks (but then again some pencilers are not as good inkers, ... something to think about). 

There are 2 approaches - have a layout established for all future artists to follow. Start without a layout and wing it - I think this can be problematic as you will likely run into issues where an artist is really only thinking about what they are asked to do and may make it more challenging for future artists. I find the wing-it approach to work better when it is a headshot jam and not a team-oriented piece. If you do a layout, I would ask the artist to just block in the figures and not draw them tightly. Some jam layouts are essentially done and ready for inks - I think this might lead to less creativity from future artists. Maybe not but that's my thought. 

Covid will give you plenty of time to think out your approach if you are not wanting to mail. With no conventions on the slate, you don't have many options. Good luck and post your progress if you like. I think there are some jam threads on here somewhere. I would seek them out and pick the brains of those who have done them. 

Here's another thread on the topic in the Statue Forum

My approach was:

• Get an idea that you can express in a couple of sentences - a theme if you will
  • Gather reference for the characters and they way they should look - there must be a million Hawkman outfits, e.g.,
  • Find an artist to do the layout - I can recommend Matthew Clark - talented, fast, trustworthy
    • Having the layout artist do the first character is optional in my opinion.
  • Make a list of potential artists - if you have your heart set on a specific few, that's okay, but it makes the project even harder
  • Chase it

I doubt that I would let my jam leave the convention to be done at home (sketchbooks even more so).

It doesn't hurt to have common supplies - pencils, erasers, handful of color markers if you want to color it a bit, etc.

Here's the one that I have done. The full story can be read by clicking on the image.

image.thumb.png.b1b77b0cd8adf5e4798ee8785a13a3ce.png

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 8/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Here's another thread on the topic in the Statue Forum

My approach was:

• Get an idea that you can express in a couple of sentences - a theme if you will
  • Gather reference for the characters and they way they should look - there must be a million Hawkman outfits, e.g.,
  • Find an artist to do the layout - I can recommend Matthew Clark - talented, fast, trustworthy
    • Having the layout artist do the first character is optional in my opinion.
  • Make a list of potential artists - if you have your heart set on a specific few, that's okay, but it makes the project even harder
  • Chase it

I doubt that I would let my jam leave the convention to be done at home (sketchbooks even more so).

It doesn't hurt to have common supplies - pencils, erasers, handful of color markers if you want to color it a bit, etc.

Here's the one that I have done. The full story can be read by clicking on the image.

image.thumb.png.b1b77b0cd8adf5e4798ee8785a13a3ce.png

Great advice, as usual Alex! 

The SF link goes to a JLA page on CAF

On 5/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, Noob19 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but are there portfolios/display folders at nicely fit 11.5x17 art pages? Frustrated that I now have a couple pieces on 11.5x17 board in my small collection that don't fit in my 11x17 Itoya. Is the only solution to move up to 13x19 or 14x17? 

For those who have been seeking this, Itoya is now making a portfolio designed to hold an A2 size. It will, I believe, hold a twice up, but I'm not sure if it will hold one in a top loader. These are the dimensions and designation. As I recall, it was around $65-70.

IA-12-A2 16-1/2″ x23-3/8″ A2 size

11 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

For those who have been seeking this, Itoya is now making a portfolio designed to hold an A2 size. It will, I believe, hold a twice up, but I'm not sure if it will hold one in a top loader. These are the dimensions and designation. As I recall, it was around $65-70.

IA-12-A2 16-1/2″ x23-3/8″ A2 size

Blicks now has it for about $50.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Blicks now has it for about $50.

This is also a larger size (offhand don't have specifics) that holds full 18x24".

I use them for all the dumb Shep and Mondo screenprints I flip like mad to pay for more: real art :)