• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ducky13 said:

Not new to OA collecting, but have a question none the less

With the explosion of comic book prices over the last 18 months is there a correlation to original art? 

I do know that high end art has really taken off on auction sites but what about lower end OA (under $1000)

Also is there a way to value your OA, to see price bumps or market corrections?

Its relatively easy to evaluate individual comics with apps, websites and ebay but OA is a little more subjective

Take for instance my Gary Frank Hulk 415 page, how would I find out the current value? (beside selling)

Should we open a topic "please price my original art page?"

My wife paid $500 for this 10 years ago, how would you evaluate rate of return on OA?

Screenshot_20210506-032206_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't watch all the price bumps and changes, but I do know there is no straight line or curve of increasing prices over time. It varies by artist and subject matter. Some things don't move at all (which is the same as dropping). Also, when prices are low to begin with, and the subject at hand is unique (each piece of art being different), a 50% market increase by an artist over a 10 year period, for example, can be hard to notice if not impossible to calculate.

My guess is that your wife picked out a piece that would do well in terms of appreciation. It's very nice with a good subject matter.

5 hours ago, Ducky13 said:

With the explosion of comic book prices over the last 18 months is there a correlation to original art? 

I do know that high end art has really taken off on auction sites but what about lower end OA (under $1000)

Its relatively easy to evaluate individual comics with apps, websites and ebay but OA is a little more subjective

Take for instance my Gary Frank Hulk 415 page, how would I find out the current value? (beside selling)

My wife paid $500 for this 10 years ago, how would you evaluate rate of return on OA?

Screenshot_20210506-032206_Samsung Internet.jpg

Great page. As most art in the last 10 years, this has gone up in value. I would read the Alex Johnson thread to do some research. 

Paging @alxjhnsn

3 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Was curious is there a thread to post oa pages like we do for sketch covers and commission pieces threads. If so what's the link to it?

“The official this week in your original art collection.” The next pin down.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:32 AM, Ducky13 said:

There is a thread on this board called "Pricing Comic Art - Update."

In the spoiler text of the first post in that thread, you will find a wealth of information on how to find prices for comic art, how to find comic art, and how/where to sell comic art. I hope it helps. Questions are welcome.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:42 PM, Werebear said:

Not exactly comic art, but comic-adjacent: What is the market like for a Frazetta remarked print or pencil sketch?

At the rate the market is going, even an ink illustration of Frank's will remain perpetually out of reach. I'm particularly fond of his big cat drawings. Any advice for his art would be appreciated. :)

There is a thread on this board called "Pricing Comic Art - Update."

In the spoiler text of the first post in that thread, you will find a wealth of information on how to find prices for comic art, how to find comic art, and how/where to sell comic art. I hope it helps. Questions are welcome.

You'll find help there.

What is your solution for smaller pieces? I now have a few nice pieces at sketch card sizes, from business card usual to 3x4 inches. Seems like the best thing would be to put them in a multi-slot page which can be loaded into a larger Itoya, rather than have a whole separate Itoya-like folder just for the few I have. Does anyone have a recommendation for loose images like that?

5 hours ago, RBerman said:

What is your solution for smaller pieces? I now have a few nice pieces at sketch card sizes, from business card usual to 3x4 inches. Seems like the best thing would be to put them in a multi-slot page which can be loaded into a larger Itoya, rather than have a whole separate Itoya-like folder just for the few I have. Does anyone have a recommendation for loose images like that?

I just throw them into a small Itoya. The size I picked holds color guides. Everything else sort of slides around.

On 9/18/2021 at 5:11 AM, vodou said:

Of all your 200 posts in three years...this above is my favorite. Thank you!

:devil:

Thanks for your comment. I think I'll discontinue any posts with you and I'd appreciate if you'd do the same with me. I'm sure it's not your intention but you're kind of acting like a stalker. Have a nice life. 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:48 AM, captain_em said:

Thanks for your comment. I think I'll discontinue any posts with you and I'd appreciate if you'd do the same with me. I'm sure it's not your intention but you're kind of acting like a stalker. Have a nice life. 

Lot’s of people engage in good natured kidding here, both give and take. I’ve taken out, and fouled up, my share of posts, and V is just having a little fun the same as other people. Think of it as a sign of acceptance to the group; you can better appreciate it later. V is good people.

Itoya seems to stop at 18x24 inches with their portfolios. I'm looking at a piece slightly larger than that.  Any suggestions for storage? I guess above a certain size, a binder with pages makes less sense, but I don't have space for a huge art cabinet, especially one to hold pieces larger than 18x24.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, RBerman said:

Itoya seems to stop at 18x24 inches with their portfolios. I'm looking at a piece slightly larger than that.  Any suggestions for storage? I guess above a certain size, a binder with pages makes less sense, but I don't have space for a huge art cabinet, especially one to hold pieces larger than 18x24.

It's not the cheapest thing but Baroque (Bottleneck Gallery) makes 24x36 for screenprints and also a larger one at 27x41

Comes with a zipper and strap too. 

https://www.baroqueportfolios.com/collections/all/products/deluxe-print-storage-portfolio

Vault Displays has a 24x36 but it's currently sold out.

https://vaultdisplays.com/collections/all-products/products/24-x-36-portfolio

I'm coming into a high value piece soon and am going back and forth on the best way to display it while ensuring its long term preservation.  I have a few expensive prints ($250 giclee) with remarks that i've bought in the past that I display framed/matted and behind museum acrylic glass.  These pieces are in a room where the blinds have been shut year round so there's no direct sunlight, only ambient lighting.  The only actual light affecting these prints are those from the EnergySaver LED bulbs from a floor lamp on the opposite side of the room (12 feet away) that is on roughly 6 hours each night.  (It's my office by day, game/computer/let me surf the CGC boards room by night).  I mention this, because the high value piece would be displayed under similar conditions.

With that preface out of the way, I'm unsure what long term effects LED lighting has on artwork, even when it's protected by 99% UV museum acrylic.  Obviously, the most fool proof thing would be to scan and print a hi-res copy and display that without concern, but sometimes that's hard to do since the local printers won't print copyrighted material.  Additionally, there's something mentally about knowing that the piece you're looking at is the original.  I guess I'm looking to see what approach you more experienced collectors take with the really expensive pieces in your collection.  Do those go in a portfolio tucked away, or should the art be perfectly fine given the conditions I mentioned?

(PS: live in an area where humidity isn't an issue and ambient room temperatures rarely venture into the extremes on either end of the spectrum if that makes a difference.)