• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere before.

I'd like to get a commission but I'd like to have the right materials before I begin. 
-What paper do people recommend for commissions? I'm assuming the answer is smooth bristol but there seem to be different weights online (300/400/500) and I'm wondering which is most ideal for a quality pencil/ink commission that would maybe be colored at a later date. If there's a different, better paper I'd love to hear thoughts, as well as a specific brand to use.
-How thick should the paper be?
-Are there resources to get custom sized paper? I'd prefer 14x20 paper but it appears as though none of the places I've searched have that size specifically so I assume you'd need to buy a larger size and have it cut down, but I'm not sure where to get it cut.

Thanks for any help provided!

On 9/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, SergeAnt said:

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere before.

I'd like to get a commission but I'd like to have the right materials before I begin. 
-What paper do people recommend for commissions? I'm assuming the answer is smooth bristol but there seem to be different weights online (300/400/500) and I'm wondering which is most ideal for a quality pencil/ink commission that would maybe be colored at a later date. If there's a different, better paper I'd love to hear thoughts, as well as a specific brand to use.
-How thick should the paper be?
-Are there resources to get custom sized paper? I'd prefer 14x20 paper but it appears as though none of the places I've searched have that size specifically so I assume you'd need to buy a larger size and have it cut down, but I'm not sure where to get it cut.

Thanks for any help provided!

Usually the artists provide the paper/Bristol board, and different sizes affect the price. If you go to a show, you can get them to draw on what you have.

Seems as 300 smooth Bristol board is a nice option for pencil as well as ink work. You can pick up the pads at Michael’s or hobby lobby. The higher the number 400 or 500 the more expensive the paper but it seems to except ink a better especially if the artist is using nibs, but prob not necessary if they use markers or pens for inking.

Michael’s has a 11x14 pad that might work nicely for you -

Strathmore 300 Series Bristol Smooth Pad (20 sheets)

I think the 500 series paper is often sold as large single sheets, not as pads. you may would need to cut them down to more manageable sizes.

Edited by gumbydarnit

Commission by mail - the artist will supply the paper.

Sketch at a con - the artist may supply the paper, but always bring some. 

If you want to start a sketchbook, you should read the hidden text in the first post on this thread: 

4FCB15CD-149A-4789-B407-E2E4E10EBD38_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.62a0510314932a51b2272cf004495975.jpeg

Paper weight as shown on the covers of these pads refers to the weight of 500 sheets (a ream) of this paper. Heavier is generally better, but it can also waste money. It depends on the art. For watercolors, heavier reduces bleed through.

On 12/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, Noob19 said:

This is probably a really basic (noob?) question but why do I often see reverse outlines of figures on the back of comic art boards? Does it have to do with "light boxing"? Here's an example (with thanks to Heritage) on a Ron Garney JLA cover I plan to bid on...:

front.jpeg.f74ad2bf6692604477716cae79a79277.jpegback.jpeg.606c7a125b8c92d2373387b03136823f.jpeg

It's just preliminary sketches done on the back of the board as opposed to a separate board to save paper, it's reversed so that they can reference the prelims while drawing the finished pencils on the other side of the board (and yeah probably using a lightbox) and have it all oriented the way they meant. Some artists just like doing their prelims that way, another artist who's known for doing this a lot is Fernando Pasarin (and his prelims are usually really big and thorough), and there are others, it's not too uncommon.

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/22/2023 at 11:51 AM, Noob19 said:

This is probably a really basic (noob?) question but why do I often see reverse outlines of figures on the back of comic art boards? Does it have to do with "light boxing"? Here's an example (with thanks to Heritage) on a Ron Garney JLA cover I plan to bid on...:

front.jpeg.f74ad2bf6692604477716cae79a79277.jpegback.jpeg.606c7a125b8c92d2373387b03136823f.jpeg

Some more examples of this, I have an Elektra page by Sean Chen where he did his prelims on the back of the same board, I also have a few Terry Dodson pieces with prelims on the back, and used to have an Adriana Melo piece with prelims on the back. So it's completely normal (and to me it's a pretty neat bonus) to find

image.thumb.png.b12ecd22c8fadd8a11967e002e34e2c8.pngimage.thumb.png.ac29fb21e64128cbc8556b012d77a701.png

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, Noob19 said:

I was told that it's an easy way for artists to double check anatomy. Sometimes when you do the reverse anatomy flaws are more apparent.

Malvin

On 3/16/2024 at 10:23 AM, GreatEscape said:

Link

Dave Cockrum UNCANNY X-MEN #95 page with entire team and death of Thunderbird, a very memorable scene.

IMG_2845.thumb.jpeg.3ecc7a2bcf84ed9dfbcb2e83493755d0.jpeg

Did you post this in the right thread or are you trying to make the newbies feel bad? Great page congratulations!