• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Hey guys!  I am shipping my first piece of original art and I am wondering the best way to do it?  The artist that shipped it to me kind pressed it in between a bunch of cardboard and taped it up.  It worked, but seems like there may be an easier way.  Help if you can, thanks!

17 minutes ago, Jonnywadd said:

Hey guys!  I am shipping my first piece of original art and I am wondering the best way to do it?  The artist that shipped it to me kind pressed it in between a bunch of cardboard and taped it up.  It worked, but seems like there may be an easier way.  Help if you can, thanks!

The most bullet-proof way is probably two pieces of oversized masonite taped around the edges.

Or you can go with a cardboard sandwich and place that in an oversized box with padding. The box should take the hits.

Be sure to put the art in a poly bag to keep the rain off.

cardboard is fine, but make sure to use multiple layers and that the cardboard goes in different (perpendicular) directions to make it stiffer.  I myself use dollar store foam boards since Canada Post is more expensive, so foamboard helps keep it light but still stiff

Malvin

4 hours ago, Jonnywadd said:

I've had art damaged  that was shipped to me by a dealer using cardboard sandwich method. I've also had art arrive perfectly fine using that process. I've never had anything go wrong with the masonite, or some similar material, method and I wish everyone would ship using some form of that strategy. Unfortunately, it isn't often that the buyer has a choice in shipping decisions.

The usual argument against masonite (and in favor of cardboard layers and foam board) is that masonite can break and it will damage the art and it is much heavier.

That said, Heritage has used masonite for the pieces that I have bought from them. 

I haven't seen anyone use masonite in over 10 years.  :preach:

A Heritage piece from 2015 was packaged in multiple layers of cardboard...very thick stuff that extended far beyond the edges of the page, which was sealed in a polybag with a backer board.  The polybag was tapped in the center of the interior layers of cardboard.  The entire package was fully sealed with tape and the art was very well-protected...overall the packaging was very professional.  I was impressed...even though I didn't merit the masonite treatment... :insane:

1 hour ago, TMNT said:

Quick question: how do you ship an already framed piece to prevent glass from shattering and protect the frame?

my advice is that you don't.... or get a professional packer that will guarantee their work

Malvin

Stripe the glass in multiple directions with blue painters tape to prevent shattering, don't be stingy as to quantity. It's easily removable too and won't leave gumminess behind. Lots of bubblewrap at the corners and edges to prevent frame marring/dents/scratches, etc. You can also use cardboard 'corners' for the corners if they are easily available to you. Go with an oversized box, leaving plenty of room for that bubblewrap, and try to find a single cardboard sheet to cover the face of the work, an extra layer of protection against piercing, shattering. Have sent and received hundreds of framed glass pieces like this NEVER a problem.

Recently Heritage shipped me a smaller framed glass piece and they applied an entire sheet of sticky blue plastic to the glass.

I did also receive a masonite piece, still in my garage, but cannot recall what piece it was. I think it was Marie Severin colored WF 21 Russ Cochran piece (also framed).

Well I'm stepping into the OA world as it seems like with more and more Silver Age Artists leaving us this will be the only way to get a piece of their work/signature on books/theme I love. I was wondering if there is a list of dealers/sellers to stay away from that people thru their years of experience would tell new people Buyer Beware or don't deal with. 

37 minutes ago, 3319comics said:

Well I'm stepping into the OA world as it seems like with more and more Silver Age Artists leaving us this will be the only way to get a piece of their work/signature on books/theme I love. I was wondering if there is a list of dealers/sellers to stay away from that people thru their years of experience would tell new people Buyer Beware or don't deal with. 

If you read this forum much, you'll see a lot of stuff about Cool Lines. I personally have never had any dealings with them so I can't say anything first hand.

Though I've had no business dealings with them the guys with the worst reputation are known as Cool Lines Art, the Donnelly Brothers, and on ebay valnsteve.  Google is your friend.

Also,ACE & DIC List have been updated on Terry Maltos' Comic Art Community ( http://comicartcommunity.com/ ) website for commission experiences. See below for links. an 

48 minutes ago, wood83 said:

The Donnelleys have an incredible inventory, but they also don't really want to sell most of their stuff. So it's priced astoundingly high.

So are they collectors or are they sellers? As well, why do they alter a lot of their original art?

50 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

So are they collectors or are they sellers? As well, why do they alter a lot of their original art?

Although I'm sure there are pieces in their stock they want to keep, I don't know any collectors that like to alter art like they do. Seems like solely a (questionable) sellers tactic. 

One thing I have been curious about is the recourse you have for buying OA (or anything really) from places like Heritage or CLink. Everyone knows both sides of the horror stories on eBay, but as a buyer you basically have a lot of power to redress issues. What about Heritage? If you get a piece that is damaged in shipping is there a return policy? What if a piece wasn't described correctly (has a paste up panel, undisclosed damage, etc.).

Thanks,

Chris