• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

Hi all, wondering if someone can suggest where I can buy frames for OA similar to the ones that "Frame It Again Sam" made/sold. I own one of his frames and they are really good, convenient and affordable imo, but it seems he's no longer in business...

Thank you.

A lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, likely because they've made the mistake themselves: don't go to chains like Michael's, unless you're dealing with a relatively low-priced piece you don't care too much for. Find a framer who deals in original art, really knows what he/she is doing, and frames archivally and acid-free. And NEVER drymount. You typically want archival hinges like mulberry hinges, and 99%+ UV glass (I always go museum but that's expensive.) If you don't pay mind to how something is framed and just go the cheapest route, the art WILL be damaged. 

you never want any sort of adhesive on the art,ever, It cannot be removed. You want the art placed in small corner holders that are themselves secured to the mounting surface so that the art can be removed without any damage. Would you want to scrape a piece off the mounting surface? I don't.

47 minutes ago, Bird said:

you never want any sort of adhesive on the art,ever, It cannot be removed. You want the art placed in small corner holders that are themselves secured to the mounting surface so that the art can be removed without any damage. Would you want to scrape a piece off the mounting surface? I don't.

Corner mounts work for lighter pieces, but mulberry hinges are superior and what museums use. While uncommon, corner mounts can give out over time and the piece can drop/get jacked up. With mulberry hinges, gravity is working with you. They can also be removed without residue when done properly. 

Re: drymounting -- you're glueing the piece down to something. If you ever hear a framer use this term for art, run. 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

Didn't want to create a new topic for this question so I figured this was the best place to ask.  When you go to a dealer site and they list a piece of art "on hold", does that mean its being negotiated or that there is a payment plan in place?  Or are they waiting to release it to purchase?

26 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

Didn't want to create a new topic for this question so I figured this was the best place to ask.  When you go to a dealer site and they list a piece of art "on hold", does that mean its being negotiated or that there is a payment plan in place?  Or are they waiting to release it to purchase?

It usually means that it has been sold and the dealer is just waiting on the payment to arrive or clear.

Like Alex, I've purchased a piece on timed payments and it showed "on hold" until payment was complete. I've also purchased a piece on timed payments that showed as "for sale" the entire time I was making my payments (although the dealer assured me that it was "mine"). I much preferred the "on hold" situation!

Yeah, any art that I was in a time payments situation should not be listed as “for sale” IMO. It makes people think the art is available and you get the feeling that the dealer might be willing to bump you if a better deal came along. As long as the buyer is meeting the terms set forth by the dealer the art should be listed as “on hold” IMHO. I bought a piece this way and the showed as on hold the entire time I was making payments.

On 6/26/2017 at 10:05 AM, JadeGiant said:

Yeah, any art that I was in a time payments situation should not be listed as “for sale” IMO. It makes people think the art is available and you get the feeling that the dealer might be willing to bump you if a better deal came along. As long as the buyer is meeting the terms set forth by the dealer the art should be listed as “on hold” IMHO. I bought a piece this way and the showed as on hold the entire time I was making payments.

If you agreed on terms, a final price and installments....and you are adhering to those terms, you have a sales contract. If they break the contract, you can sue them for damages. You may want to put into your agreement to pay for the piece a stipulation that it must be listed as "on Hold" or pulled entirely from their website unless you do not make your payments on time. 

One of my pet peeves is a dealer keeping SOLD pieces up on their website. Now, it's one thing to use certain marquee pieces you've sold as advertising. But, run of the mill stuff should be pulled from your web inventory when sold. It's only fair to the person who bought it, and it doesn't mislead people.

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

One of my pet peeves is a dealer keeping SOLD pieces up on their website. Now, it's one thing to use certain marquee pieces you've sold as advertising. But, run of the mill stuff should be pulled from your web inventory when sold. It's only fair to the person who bought it, and it doesn't mislead people.

One of my pet peeves is when the dealer keeps the piece he sold to ME on his website. Regrettably, these are not the high dollar super pages that could count as advertising. 

With a little nudging, they've all come down (in time) but it would be so nice if a nudge wasn't required.

17 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

I have been collecting OA for about 5/6 months now and...

Maybe when I look back on this post in a year, I will laugh at this list, but this is my experience right now.

Actually very good post and observations. Having been at this for near twenty-five years...I wouldn't disagree with any of your points or add materially to them. The common thread is look twice before you leap. Yes that's the big one right there. Everything else branches off getting that one right (more often than not, anyway!)

4 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Expect your taste to change as you collect longer.

Oh yes that's a big one. It helps if what you've been buying up to a major 'change' point is popular, that makes it easier to "sell to buy". Very important if you're finding that your ever-refining tastes are moving you up to ever-higher price brackets :)

On 6/29/2017 at 11:29 AM, Sooners151 said:

The one aspect I didn’t touch is investment.  There is no way I can talk to that being in the hobby only 6 months, and to me, not what I’m looking to get out of it.

Thanks again to the community here!

You saved the best for last. Well written observations - you are well ahead of the learning curve for many that spend a lot of time in this hobby. Welcome!

15 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

You saved the best for last. Well written observations - you are well ahead of the learning curve for many that spend a lot of time in this hobby. Welcome!

Thanks!!

I've have my run collecting this and that, and while I've made a few bucks at times when I do decide to sell something, for the most part I break even or might lose a little bit.  What really attracted me to the OA hobby was not only could I satiate my collecting needs, but also have appreciable works that I can display nicely around the house.  A lot of people that visit don't even realize (as I didn't) that you can acquire the original work, so always a nice conversation starter.    

I think it's very interesting that in the six weeks or so that I've been seriously shopping for my first piece of OA (after around a year of slow research) I have basically not even thought about comic books.  I've been binge listening to Felix's podcasts in the car and at my desk and have to say I'm a little freaked out by how invested I've become without even owning a page yet.  I've heard/read about this phenomenon a few times, but didn't think it'd happen to me because I love my books and I love the hunt, but there's some kind of magic elixir that has me under a spell.  I'm still hesitating pulling the trigger mainly because I'm still not sure what the hell I want.  There's a lot of good stuff available, but I don't want to buy to just buy.  I want focus and purpose.  I'm also still fumbling around the context that comes with these pages.  I may see a page that, from an artistic sense, presents very well but I find myself compelled to research the story to find out about the page and greater story arc if I'm not familiar.  This is not an issue I've faced to such a degree with my fine art endeavors.  

Pretty sure this is nothing new to most of you, but I find the need to vent somewhere.  I almost started a journal to document what is looking more and more like a transition from books to art.  What the hell? :)