• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, Andahaion said:

Would anyone here offer to comment on Jim Lee's various Superman art?  I know what I like, but am relatively new on the OA circuit and would appreciate some context from a holistic perspective.  "For Tomorrow" seems to be regarded as one of his artistic high points, but "Unchained" is beautiful also and appears to have a lower entry point.  I suppose I'm trying to balance several factors that will guide my decision on which to pursue and it's helpful to hear different views (especially from veterans).  

Happy to take responses here, via PM, or over the phone if anyone is so inclined.  I'm a relatively nice person. :) 

I have a DPS from Superman Unchained and it is probably my #1 piece in my collection, absolutely worth every penny. If you find one you really like with artwork that really pops I don't think you can go wrong.

fyuyk3SV_1304141925371.jpg

On 11/16/2017 at 9:19 AM, kbmcvay said:

I have a DPS from Superman Unchained and it is probably my #1 piece in my collection, absolutely worth every penny. If you find one you really like with artwork that really pops I don't think you can go wrong.

Since you asked, I think the caliber of the illustration is excellent. You can really feel the water.  Similarly, his use of variously sized small panels to convey time movement is very good, along with the unbalanced size of the panel overlay to the whole of the underlying image  And, I am always a fan of of pop-outs, particularly clever ones like the last panel. If I were going to criticize, I would say that the inset panel border is dull. While some contrast with the splash is needed, it should blend a little more creatively with the splash.  

I'm considering purchasing some art directly from Mick Gray and was wondering if anyone had done so previously would care to share their experience?  I've checked online and no flags come up on my end, but thought it a good idea to check here.  I'm happy to take responses via personal message.

26 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

I'm considering purchasing some art directly from Mick Gray and was wondering if anyone had done so previously would care to share their experience?  I've checked online and no flags come up on my end, but thought it a good idea to check here.  I'm happy to take responses via personal message.

I bought from him years back and had no issues at all.  He's been selling a long time and I've never heard anyone run in to issues with him, either on this forum or on the Yahoo Comicart-L list.

4 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Mick is a local to me (we'll be in the same restaurant from time to time). I've bought from him at conventions, but not online. He used to be active on eBay, but not so much, me thinks. Anyway, he's a straight shooter. His intention is to sell art; he has no real reason to jerk anyone around. He's also an original art collector though not as hardcore as us here. He gets it.  I have no reason why you wouldn't have a successful transaction with him. 

Thanks for the replies everyone, it is certainly appreciated.  Mick has been great, very responsive and polite, which is pretty much all I want.  The art I'm interested in is on two boards; Gleason pencils and then Gleason blue lines inked by Mick.  I'd receive both, which is good.  I've only purchased ink over pencils, so this is sort of new territory.  I love the book/story, so thinking I might go forward and I suppose frame both pieces side by side.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I know most of you prefer inks over pencils, but I'm hearing this situation is becoming more and more the norm with regard to art being produced for today's books.  Thank you again for the replies :)

Mick is a great guy from what I know. I talked him a while back about pretty much the last piece Kirby drew in 94 which he Inked. 

There is obviously a lot of controversy whether or not Kirby was drawing back then but he spoke to Kirby about his inking on this page and he said it reminded him of Royers inks. Great story and nice splash page .. any one know more about Kirbys work on Phantom Force?

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=55320

RickyB 

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

Scanning tips-

If you want to send a scan for printing purposes, scan it to a 600 dpi TIFF or PSD. That way, the publisher will have enough resolution that they can blow it up for a detail view, if they want.

If you want to scan for your own records, scan it to a 300 dpi JPG with Max Quality (12 setting in Photoshop). Yes, this is lossy JPG compression, but it is cranked so high it won't be discernible from a lossless TIFF and you will save some file space.

Then, take this high-res JPG and resize it down to a 150dpi JPG to upload to CAF, etc. This will still be large enough that people can open it up to 2x-4x zoom to inspect details on it (depending on their monitor size.) You can use about an 8-10 setting in the JPG quality in Photoshop.

Don't save it as a PDF. Unless you know what you are doing with the PDF image compression, you will be mashing it down with lesser-quality JPG settings inside the PDF.

If you don't care about file space, scan it at a 600 dpi TIFF or PSD, and then save a web-display copy at the aforementioned 150 dpi JPG.

11 hours ago, NoFunComics said:

Hey guys I thought I'd stop by and introduce myself to this part of the boards I just recently acquired my first piece (down below) and wanted some advice on what are some good places to find pieces.

Batman #16 page 3.png

Welcome! Great piece!

These are going to be your best three links-

http://comicarttracker.com

http://comicartfans.com

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/45-original-comic-art-marketplace/

Also, follow your favorite artists on social media to get pieces fresh off the drawing board.

Last, go to Artists' Alleys at convention and chat people up!

Edited by BCarter27

I would add that the Comic Art List on Yahoo groups is an interesting place to follow.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/comicart-l/info

You also want to join so that you can setup a special CAF gallery and post in the "Best of ..." session each year. This gallery is known as your "Lowry" and is named after a late and lamented pioneer comic art collector - Bruce Lowry. You can learn more about the comicart-l here.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, NoFunComics said:

Hey guys I thought I'd stop by and introduce myself to this part of the boards I just recently acquired my first piece (down below) and wanted some advice on what are some good places to find pieces.

Welcome! Here's a bit more info on acquiring OA: 

https://comicbookinvest.com/2016/12/16/original-art-collecting-102/

I'm a newbie to the OA collecting and I can tell you that there is a lot of knowledge on here.  What I would say is that I read this and some of the other post on here and it has helped.  But, I would say, dont put a lot of stress into your first purchase.  I got to meet Mark Brooks, very nice guy, so I purchased some of his art though an online dealer.  I regret one purchase, but I'm happy with the other.  I then meet a couple other artist, very nice, but out of my price range for nice pieces.  I just met Andy Kubert, great guy so I stretched and purchased 3 pieces that Im very happy with.  

So I would say as a beginner, dont stress the purchase and also dont over analysis it.  Buy something and see how it is.  One of the Mark Brooks I will probably end up trading up for something, but as for the rest, especially purchasing directly from Andy, is a great memory to have.  Just my thoughts.

On 1/17/2018 at 5:06 PM, alxjhnsn said:

That's a hoot. I took a look to see what I could learn and find my own notes referenced. Made me laugh.

From the article: "Without doubt, the most knowledgeable and active OA collecting community is the CGC Forum OA section."

Always liked an Attaboy, so I thought I would pass it on.