• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

I don't think he did !

Some "GUYS" can be really touchy..or do they misunderstand on purpose any kind of humor posted on the board ??

On this thread all is needed is a good advice and no one needs a lesson or a fight !

my 2c

I don't think he did !

Some "GUYS" can be really touchy..or do they misunderstand on purpose any kind of humor posted on the board ??

On this thread all is needed is a good advice and no one needs a lesson or a fight !

my 2c

I think it would behove the newbie art collector to remember that any monkey with fingers can type advice. As with any advice, information, etc, always consider the credibility of the source.

I think it would behove the newbie art collector to remember that any monkey with fingers can type advice. As with any advice, information, etc, always consider the credibility of the source.

Yeah sure... I'd think that any monkey with a brain should know that already .... :baiting:

Also I'd add it is sometimes very hard to figure the credibility of the source when for instance a description is misleading in a respected auction house or website, not speaking of ebay ..

:banana:doh!

Yeah sure... I'd think that any monkey with a brain should know that already .... :baiting:

I hope you know I didn't mean you. I've seen your CAF gallery (worship)

:whee:

Thanks !!! Still we shouldn't judge someone by his collection, at a time my aim was to have one Starlin page on each major character he did, hope to have one Kirby etc ..hopefully it grew real strong but I'm a lucky person !

:foryou::foryou::foryou:

I don't think you judge someone solely by his/her collection, but it does play a factor. Say you have two people giving you conflicting views on some aspect of the hobby -- one has a CAF gallery full of sketch cards by guys you've never heard of, and the other has a gallery of nice, representative, quality pieces of art that you admire. Who's going to have more credibility with you?

Also, the more somebody's collection mirrors your own tastes, the more you're going to be inclined to pay attention to their posts. Of course, you could have a great gallery, but actually be a twisted spoon who barbecues puppies, but as long as I don't know that, I'm going to be inclined to value the information you present.

Guess you're right (thumbs u

Love the " twisted spoon who barbecues puppies " I'd never been able to say it like that !!! :headbang:

Hopefully plenty of the people in the hobby are nice persons and sharing the art is a wonderful thing for both side ! I remember back in the days when seing a couple of original comic art pages was so rare ( I'm french ... ) now I can browse all night and purchase all day ( wish I did ), discuss trade and dream about my favorite pieces from my fellow CAF members ...

Is shipping OA any different than shipping a comic book - basically have the art in a Mylar between cardboard with some other protection?

Aside from investing in some Mylars, is there anything else that I should do or be worried about with regard to storing the art (for example some safes cause the staples to rust on comics)?

Aye Aye Sir

Art is bigger than comic size so you need stronger box or package, keep in mind if the art is damaged you can't replace it !!

Also I like to see the art totally sealed in the pack as I ship oversea I don't want the fishes to start their OA collection with my precioussss..

In the same idea I feel it is quite dangerous to insure and declare high values, better pay a big fine than getting robbed and refunded ( a refund will never heal the loss of a one of kind )

here's a link : http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=99566 for what it's worth ..

And in regards to storing..PROTECT YOUR ART by all means !!!! but know that it will never be enough unless you be running a true museum ..

my 2K 2c

Hey Romain, Since you are French , can you give us Americans a few tips on buying from European collectors and dealers. I tend to shy away from deals out of the U.S. because of money transfers , customs, etc. and have missed more than a few good opportunities because of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Normally everybody can use paypal and I'd recommend that for overseas transaction unless it is a huge amount of money therefore it's better to use bank transfert / wires but that can be slow ..that solves the currency issue.

If you're dealing with a collector ( especially younger one ..) remember french don't always speak good english so be cool is the best advice, the dealers not so many in OA you shouldn't have any problems with, I guess !

Of course make sure you deal the piece in $ or euros ( unless we do transactions between europeans we generally speak in $ ourselves in regards to the comics and comicart )

I'm speaking for the US comic art which I know better but that shouldn't be any different for the European comic art either ..?

I recommand to avoid regular mail and even the tracked ones as one can't trust the french mail !!!! it is far more expensive but I advise private carriers !

two links to find OA in Paris : http://www.editions-deesse.com/comics/comics.html ( the vintage old school first and best provider in France )

http://www.galerie9art.com/ ( more recent but quite decent )

Also never hesitate to ask your french friend here if you have any questions, PM or through CAF I'd be very happy to answer !!! :cool:

Finally I'm on something myself but it's too soon to tell ..... :headbang:

Last tip : if you come to France, know that you can go to UK by train !!! BTW : http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com/ (thumbs u

Is shipping OA any different than shipping a comic book - basically have the art in a Mylar between cardboard with some other protection?

Everyone has their own way of shipping securely. Some are better than others.

I ALWAYS ship with a rigid toploader. (The same thing as a trading card toploader, only sized for 11x17) They're a little expensive, but good to have for peace of mind (and this is a guy who worries about the parcels I've shipped as much as the parcels I'm waiting on). Never gone wrong for me so far.

Andrew

Edited by thethedew

A coupled of clichés that ring true in art collecting.

Never burn your bridges + you lure more flies with honey.

You don't know who is going to come across a piece you would love, and I've had so many people offer me pieces over the years because it came time to sell and they knew I was looking for X or Y. The hookups through friendships made via collecting have been invaluable to me.

Being a jacktard would have assured that would never have happened.

Be nice, or at least pleasant as much as pissble, even if the other party is less so.

Could pay dividends later on.

As I tell newbies at our company, "Be nice to everyone; you are going to work for them or sell to them before it's over."

The thought applies here, too. "Be nice to everyone; you are going to sell to them or buy from them before it's over."

Newbie here also embarking on the pricey journey of collecting OA :) This thread has a lot of good advice that I will definitely follow, big thank you to all the veteran members that posted.

I do have one question though (which might be a really dumb one). Although I have only been reading comics for ~8 years, there are couple pages that I instantly fell in love with, but had no idea at the time that it is possible to own the original art of it. If I were to look for a specific page, or even just a page in a certain issue, how likely is it to find the person who owns it? Assuming that the artist is not in possession of it anymore, how would one go about searching for the page?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions regarding this!

Newbie here also embarking on the pricey journey of collecting OA :) This thread has a lot of good advice that I will definitely follow, big thank you to all the veteran members that posted.

I do have one question though (which might be a really dumb one). Although I have only been reading comics for ~8 years, there are couple pages that I instantly fell in love with, but had no idea at the time that it is possible to own the original art of it. If I were to look for a specific page, or even just a page in a certain issue, how likely is it to find the person who owns it? Assuming that the artist is not in possession of it anymore, how would one go about searching for the page?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions regarding this!

If its not on comicartfans.com then you may be out of luck.

Some collectors are private about their collections and don't share them online (or they aren't online themselves).

You could check with the artist. Depending on the contract agreement art can be divided up between the pencil-er and inker, and sometimes even the colorist! So your page may be for sale under the inkers name, or the inker may take it to cons to sell but not have it online.

Once it gets sold, if the seller doesnt post it on CAF or somewhere then its lost to the ether until they (or their heirs) decide to sell it, in which case keep an eye on HA, ebay, CLink and other sites...

I've been trying to collect all the pages from my first Green Lantern comic, so far I have 4 of the 5 pages that have come to market and three of them are from the backup (which were in the possession of the backup's inker up until 5 months ago when he needed the cash and sold a lot of 10 pages thru heritage). There's a 5th page that was on CAf and now posts to ebay from time to time, but the price has been to high so far, so I wait....

persistence, and dutifully checking the sites is the only way sometimes to find what you are looking for...

If the comics you have been reading for the past 8 years were current comics I'd say your chances of finding (buying may be another task unto itself) the OA are pretty good.

Now that you've decided which title/artist you'd like to collect, leave no stone unturned. Of course a CAF search always comes first.

If the specific page isn't there are other pages from the book posted?

Other artwork from the artist?

Does one collector seem to "specialize" in that title/artist? Ask that collector, politely, for some assistence. 99% are more than willing to help.

Post a WTB thread in the OA sales forum

As was said, vigilance, persistence and patience will pay off