• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paul747 said:

Hi,

Can someone please explain if "Rendered in ink over graphite on Marvel Bristol board" is original art? or art on blue lines? I see this more and more and it seems like they can recreate any piece this way? I don't know much about it and truly want some info, they are selling like original cover art?  thanks.

Parsing the sentence yields the following:

1. A Marvel board was used.
  2. A pencil drawing was placed on it (graphite)
  3. The drawing was inked (rendered in ink)

Is it original art? Well, that sorta depends on your definition.

In general, we use the term "original art" to mean:

1. Published pages from a comic book (original comic [book] art)
  2. Commissioned pages from published comic artists (commissions) featuring comic book characters
  3. "Quick" sketches by published comic artists (sketches) featuring comic book characters

Art of comic related characters by unpublished artists is more correctly referred to as "fan art" or "original fan art."

Marvel boards are not rare and they can be manufactured so the presence or absence of a Marvel board doesn't mean much.

So, is what you are seeing original art? I'd say yes because recreations are art. Are they "original comic [book] art" as defined above? Nope. They are (usually) commissioned recreations though some may be done on speculation by an artist.

Does this help?

14 hours ago, paul747 said:

Hi,

Can someone please explain if "Rendered in ink over graphite on Marvel Bristol board" is original art? or art on blue lines? I see this more and more and it seems like they can recreate any piece this way? I don't know much about it and truly want some info, they are selling like original cover art?  thanks.

It means nothing more than it says: inked over pencils on a board with a Marvel imprint. It would have to identify artists as penciller and/ or inker to know more about what it means. If it is published, it may indicate it, or be obvious from the condition or content. If not, email the seller and ask. Also, try making sure it isn’t fake. 

Edited by Rick2you2

16 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Parsing the sentence yields the following:

1. A Marvel board was used.
  2. A pencil drawing was placed on it (graphite)
  3. The drawing was inked (rendered in ink)

Is it original art? Well, that sorta depends on your definition.

In general, we use the term "original art" to mean:

1. Published pages from a comic book (original comic [book] art)
  2. Commissioned pages from published comic artists (commissions) featuring comic book characters
  3. "Quick" sketches by published comic artists (sketches) featuring comic book characters

Art of comic related characters by unpublished artists is more correctly referred to as "fan art" or "original fan art."

Marvel boards are not rare and they can be manufactured so the presence or absence of a Marvel board doesn't mean much.

So, is what you are seeing original art? I'd say yes because recreations are art. Are they "original comic [book] art" as defined above? Nope. They are (usually) commissioned recreations though some may be done on speculation by an artist.

Does this help?

What are Blue lines? In this instance the art has blue lines, it is being called original but looks like a computer print out of the art that the artist goes over and finishes? if it is called original "published art" what stops them from going over blue lines again on another piece?

53 minutes ago, paul747 said:

What are Blue lines? In this instance the art has blue lines, it is being called original but looks like a computer print out of the art that the artist goes over and finishes? if it is called original "published art" what stops them from going over blue lines again on another piece?

It depends on what the blue lines are. Sometimes, the original is computer generated, and inking is over the computer generated blue lines (which don’t show up in print). Sometimes, there are original pencil drawings that are scanned in, and the inker inks those blue lines. For older pieces, however, there were pencillers who pencilled using blue pencils, and the inks are over genuine pencils.  Basically, you should ask for details if you can’t otherwise find the answer.

Few random questions:

1) Why do newer original art pages not have conversation bubbles?

2) What is everyone's thoughts on artists (popular or ones unheard of) doing tributes (mainly cover tributes).  I have found many artists online (international ones, specifically) creating tributes to some pretty awesome covers, but not sure how I feel about it.  They do look really nice!

2 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

People suck and will always do less work for the same money, when the market lets them get away with it.

2 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

2) What is everyone's thoughts on artists (popular or ones unheard of) doing tributes (mainly cover tributes). 

Total garbage. I want originality in Art not tracings of somebody else's art (which may or may not have been Art to begin with even).

1 hour ago, vodou said:

People suck and will always do less work for the same money, when the market lets them get away with it.

Total garbage. I want originality in Art not tracings of somebody else's art (which may or may not have been Art to begin with even).

Awesome, thanks for your input.

I totally agree especially on your 2nd point - just doesn't seem authentic.

Just cause they may homage this or that cover. Doesn't mean artist is going to trace original at that be it. they may do it all free hand and put there own flair on things or swap on or out characters or setting. Take a look on the 2020 sketch cover for the asm#129 homage cover I had Steven butler do totally change things up yet keeping flair of original cover with his changes and that was all free hand and then ink.

5 hours ago, vodou said:

I want originality in Art not tracings of somebody else's art (which may or may not have been Art to begin with even).

Curiously enough, I’m wrestling with something like this. An inker on a cover did the original digitally. He is now offering to recreate his own original off the digital pencils (or sell me a monoprint). While I know how I feel about option no. 2, I’m debating the value of that recreation to me. I’m leaning against, but still undecided.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, brownies8701 said:

Few random questions:

It's because the lettering is now applied digitally which lowers costs and production time. It is disappointing. Some have been known to have the speech bubbles recreated and attached to an acetate overlay to restore them.

Originally, the penciler did his thing and passed it to the letterer do to his thing who passed it to the inker to do his thing. Now, any piece or all of that process is done digitally. Boards with everything petered out in late-80s through the early 90s. It's a rare book with letters on the page today.

Here's a history of lettering:
Early Years: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/history-of-comic-lettering-early-years-to-1940/
Middle Years: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/history-of-comic-lettering-1940-to-1990/
Later Years: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news-columns/history-of-comic-lettering-1990-to-present/

If you really enjoy the topic, check out Todd Klein's blog. It's fascinating especially the articles about Ira Schnapp, the world's greatest letterer and logo designer (IMHO).

Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Hey all you Oa folks. I had a question I wonder if any one can help me out with. What's the best storage/display options for art pieces on vellum paper vs backboard, art boards, and other papers?

Storage or display? 

For storage, most people like Mylar top loaders. People also store them in Itoya albums.  For better protection and review, you can put them in top loaders, and then put the top loaders in Itoya’s (which is what I do with the better stuff)(the lesser material goes into Itoya’s). But, there are other approaches.