19 19

792 posts in this topic

207 posts
On 2/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, BCarter27 said:

People, keep your art out of the sun... particularly the color stuff--

NVcR9poy_2502191617341gpadd.jpeg

338fcb875b37076ca5f530a4551db43b.jpg

AlH86koh_1105182020491gpaiadd.jpg

Were these directly in the light?  Was it in a frame?  Do you have more details about how this was stored?

207 posts
On 3/9/2019 at 4:39 PM, Webhead2018 said:

So question for all. I have an original commisson on art board drawing that is 9x12. I originally wanted to frame it. But I have no place to hang art. So I was wondering what is best way to protect the piece still without framing it. Like get some sort of slab like thing, bag and board like a comic etc.....

Depending on how nice and rare a piece, for my best pieces I get a mylar with an acid free backing board.  I put microchamber paper between the art and the board.  I bought all of this stuff from bagsunlimited.  Then I put this in an acid free storage box.  I am going away from the itoya portfolios.

1,355 posts
39 minutes ago, Peter L said:

Were these directly in the light?  Was it in a frame?  Do you have more details about how this was stored?

Unfortunately, I don't have more information about the conditions they were displayed in, but are just two recent examples I came across.

1,144 posts
4 hours ago, Peter L said:

Depending on how nice and rare a piece, for my best pieces I get a mylar with an acid free backing board.  I put microchamber paper between the art and the board.  I bought all of this stuff from bagsunlimited.  Then I put this in an acid free storage box.  I am going away from the itoya portfolios.

And keep it in a dark, dry place.

1,355 posts

People don't get your art signed after the fact. Just don't. It's not worth the risk.

IMG_2176.thumb.jpg.d29b368e0531b3371327bd3d337af849.jpg.b0129eaeb3031bb23befed7130a92a75.jpg

And it you MUST get the art signed, let it only be the penciller and inker. AND HAVE THEM DO IT IN THE MARGIN! GAH!

3,757 posts
15 hours ago, Doc67 said:

DO NOT consign your art to Heritage to pay for auction winnings!  Consign to Comiclink and pay for the Heritage bill with the advance from CLink.

Not about Allen specifically, an overall comment on the hobby: Consigning forward to pay for things you can't afford today, wow, never crossed my mind to be so fiscally imprudent. You've either got the juice or you don't. Wow.

634 posts
2 hours ago, vodou said:

Not about Allen specifically, an overall comment on the hobby: Consigning forward to pay for things you can't afford today, wow, never crossed my mind to be so fiscally imprudent. You've either got the juice or you don't. Wow.

I don’t get it. If I want something at an auction and don’t want to spend more money - what’s wrong with sending other pieces, getting an advance and paying for the new art? How is that fiscally imprudent? Selling something to buy something else? If that’s the case - being in any hobby is fiscally imprudent?

3,757 posts
49 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I don’t get it.

All hat, no cattle.

1,144 posts
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

I don’t get it. If I want something at an auction and don’t want to spend more money - what’s wrong with sending other pieces, getting an advance and paying for the new art? How is that fiscally imprudent? Selling something to buy something else? If that’s the case - being in any hobby is fiscally imprudent?

Well, pretty much, most hobbies involving collecting and buying things is not fiscally prudent. They are not as fluid as stocks or bonds,and there is a big gap at-a particular point in time between what you can sell it for and what you bought for. Lots of attempted flips probably flop. 

Well, whadayaknow? I just hit a 1000 posts.

Edited by Rick2you2

634 posts
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Well, pretty much, most hobbies involving collecting and buying things is not fiscally prudent. They are not as fluid as stocks or bonds,and there is a big gap at-a particular point in time between what you can sell it for and what you bought for. Lots of attempted flips probably flop. 

Well, whadayaknow? I just hit a 1000 posts.

Well I totally agree! Being involved in the hobby is being fiscally prudent. It’s a luxury to participate.

If someone likes a piece that comes up for sale usually people try to sell something they are okay parting with. If you happen to win the piece before you can sell - then why not send in your piece for an advance ( assuming you are happy with what they evaluate your piece at)?

Not everyone is sitting on a wad of cash - but maybe some art.

Edited by RICKYBOBBY

7,051 posts

From my experience...

If you see a piece you love but feel it’s too expensive, it likely is. You may see it year after year. But year after year the price will continue to move up and you’ll still feel it’s too expensive. Seems to be the way things are going lately. Some pieces are always out of reach.