New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
20 20

919 posts in this topic

272 posts
1 hour ago, BuraddoRun said:

I have a question about some OA I've seen from around the 80's from Marvel. Some of the boards have been cut at the top and around the corners, but outside of the artwork box. Why was that done?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
On 5/25/2020 at 1:33 PM, Noob19 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before but are there portfolios/display folders at nicely fit 11.5x17 art pages? Frustrated that I now have a couple pieces on 11.5x17 board in my small collection that don't fit in my 11x17 Itoya. Is the only solution to move up to 13x19 or 14x17? 

For those who have been seeking this, Itoya is now making a portfolio designed to hold an A2 size. It will, I believe, hold a twice up, but I'm not sure if it will hold one in a top loader. These are the dimensions and designation. As I recall, it was around $65-70.

IA-12-A2 16-1/2″ x23-3/8″ A2 size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
11 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

For those who have been seeking this, Itoya is now making a portfolio designed to hold an A2 size. It will, I believe, hold a twice up, but I'm not sure if it will hold one in a top loader. These are the dimensions and designation. As I recall, it was around $65-70.

IA-12-A2 16-1/2″ x23-3/8″ A2 size

Blicks now has it for about $50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,580 posts
2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Blicks now has it for about $50.

This is also a larger size (offhand don't have specifics) that holds full 18x24".

I use them for all the dumb Shep and Mondo screenprints I flip like mad to pay for more: real art :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
1 hour ago, vodou said:

This is also a larger size (offhand don't have specifics) that holds full 18x24".

I use them for all the dumb Shep and Mondo screenprints I flip like mad to pay for more: real art :)

I suspect those are actually the same, with one set of measurements just a bit more precise. Either that, or Itoya doesn’t know it’s own stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,580 posts
4 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I suspect those are actually the same, with one set of measurements just a bit more precise. Either that, or Itoya doesn’t know it’s own stock.

Could be? What I can tell you is the prints are definitely 18x24" and they slide snugly in but ultimately they fit, so that would be the interior pocket dimension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, vodou said:

Could be? What I can tell you is the prints are definitely 18x24" and they slide snugly in but ultimately they fit, so that would be the interior pocket dimension.

The outer dimension (cover) is 17.5 x 24. The inner dimension is as Itoya stated above. You have the larger poster size which also exists.

Edited by Rick2you2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,226 posts

 When looking for original art some of us might go to the source itself, the artist. Sometimes they'll still have some pieces( but not always for sale) in their possession and others will have nothing left. In both cases though they might offer to do a commission instead the thing you were interested in. If you don't want a commission what do you think is the best way to reply letting them know you where only interested in their published work? Especially for artists who still have pieces that they don't want to sell but might in the future where saying no thanks might make them not want to sell to you in the future when they let pieces go? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173 posts
2 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

 When looking for original art some of us might go to the source itself, the artist. Sometimes they'll still have some pieces( but not always for sale) in their possession and others will have nothing left. In both cases though they might offer to do a commission instead the thing you were interested in. If you don't want a commission what do you think is the best way to reply letting them know you where only interested in their published work? Especially for artists who still have pieces that they don't want to sell but might in the future where saying no thanks might make them not want to sell to you in the future when they let pieces go? 

Coincidentally, I was in this exact situation just recently. The artist I engaged with said he wanted to keep all of his published comic art, but if the right offer came along, he might let something go. He also said he'd be happy to do a commission, even a recreation. I was pretty sure my offer wouldn't be enough (it wasn't), but I just politely told him the truth. I told him I was only looking for published works right now. But we both stayed cordial and even exchanged a few more emails back and forth. He told me about his entry into comics and something he's working on currently that isn't out yet. He seemed genuinely flattered that I reached out to him, and he said I could always reach out again in the future because he may be willing to let things go at some point. All in all, it was a very positive experience for both of us. My suggestion is to do what I did. Be polite and honest. You could always leave your door open as well, if you think your collecting wants may change. That is, you could say, "right now I'm focusing on collecting published works, but I may reach out in the future to see if you're still willing to do a commission."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,628 posts
12 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Coincidentally, I was in this exact situation just recently. The artist I engaged with said he wanted to keep all of his published comic art, but if the right offer came along, he might let something go. He also said he'd be happy to do a commission, even a recreation. I was pretty sure my offer wouldn't be enough (it wasn't), but I just politely told him the truth. I told him I was only looking for published works right now. But we both stayed cordial and even exchanged a few more emails back and forth. He told me about his entry into comics and something he's working on currently that isn't out yet. He seemed genuinely flattered that I reached out to him, and he said I could always reach out again in the future because he may be willing to let things go at some point. All in all, it was a very positive experience for both of us. My suggestion is to do what I did. Be polite and honest. You could always leave your door open as well, if you think your collecting wants may change. That is, you could say, "right now I'm focusing on collecting published works, but I may reach out in the future to see if you're still willing to do a commission."

Yup. The Watcher speaks truth. 
And don’t feel guilty about your decision, if you think you might. It’s just business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273 posts

Where is all the manga art? Is it segregated into its own auctions away from Heritage and ComicLink and the like, or just never sold?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
340 posts
2 hours ago, RBerman said:

Where is all the manga art? Is it segregated into its own auctions away from Heritage and ComicLink and the like, or just never sold?

Basically, it's nearly impossible to get a published page. You can still find nice artworks from time to time, mainly on Mandarake Auctions (they have several "Big Web" auctions a year where all the nice art is), and from time to time on Heritage or Artcurial. But prices are really high.

You can have more details about manga art here: https://comicarttracker.com/faq-en/collecting-original-comic-art/where-can-i-buy-manga-original-artwork ... and see some results for Mandarake Big Web auctions here: https://comicarttracker.com/mandarake-big-web-auctions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273 posts
12 minutes ago, NicoV said:

Basically, it's nearly impossible to get a published page. You can still find nice artworks from time to time, mainly on Mandarake Auctions (they have several "Big Web" auctions a year where all the nice art is), and from time to time on Heritage or Artcurial. But prices are really high.

You can have more details about manga art here: https://comicarttracker.com/faq-en/collecting-original-comic-art/where-can-i-buy-manga-original-artwork ... and see some results for Mandarake Big Web auctions here: https://comicarttracker.com/mandarake-big-web-auctions

Thanks. I got to wondering because there's a Lone Wolf and Cub piece in ComicLink. Probably fake then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
340 posts
1 hour ago, RBerman said:

Thanks. I got to wondering because there's a Lone Wolf and Cub piece in ComicLink. Probably fake then.

It's a commission on a shikishi board, so it can be a real one. A similar (but nicer) one sold in 2017 on Heritage for $2270 - https://comicarttracker.com/goseki-kojima-original-art-for-sale

Edited by NicoV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,580 posts
2 hours ago, RBerman said:

Probably fake then.

No. Because @NicoV wrote:

2 hours ago, NicoV said:

it's nearly impossible to get a published page.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173 posts
On 11/24/2020 at 8:51 AM, RBerman said:

Where is all the manga art? Is it segregated into its own auctions away from Heritage and ComicLink and the like, or just never sold?

 

On 11/24/2020 at 11:00 AM, NicoV said:

Basically, it's nearly impossible to get a published page. You can still find nice artworks from time to time, mainly on Mandarake Auctions (they have several "Big Web" auctions a year where all the nice art is), and from time to time on Heritage or Artcurial. But prices are really high.

You can have more details about manga art here: https://comicarttracker.com/faq-en/collecting-original-comic-art/where-can-i-buy-manga-original-artwork ... and see some results for Mandarake Big Web auctions here: https://comicarttracker.com/mandarake-big-web-auctions

I second Mandarake. They have the Big Web auctions that @NicoV mentioned , which you have to pay to participate in. But they have everyday auctions as well, and you can find good stuff in there, too. I found out about them when I was buying a lot of anime cels. They're dependable and fun to browse, and they sell a lot of cool stuff. They also have storefronts you can browse through.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/indexEn.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273 posts
6 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

 

I second Mandarake. They have the Big Web auctions that @NicoV mentioned , which you have to pay to participate in. But they have everyday auctions as well, and you can find good stuff in there, too. I found out about them when I was buying a lot of anime cels. They're dependable and fun to browse, and they sell a lot of cool stuff. They also have storefronts you can browse through.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/indexEn.html

Thanks! Looks like the fee for each auction is only $5, which at least is manageable. Interesting that selling manga pages is culturally forbidden, but selling anime cels is allowed. Nobody said humans were consistent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143 posts

Some websites like artcoholics.net or japaninmotion.com sell manga OA from little known and/or old titles.

I have no reason to believe they would be fakes considering the low prices.

I bought this one from artcoholics : https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1679589

Edited by Mycroft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
20 20