• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

I agree ... generally ... many ardent art collectors acquire more art than they can fit onto allocated wall space. I am planning a collection wall this year but even with the space I have created I will not get my entire collection on the wall. I am hoping to come up with a system that will allow me to rotate artwork but even so, some art will always be in a portfolio on my desk. Art should be enjoyed and wall space is the preference of many but I can't fault anyone for having stuff in portfolios as that is where I have most of mine and I flip through and enjoy it very regularly.

It's a shame for so many wonderful pieces to be sitting in a binder in one's closet.

There are those for whom this hobby is a passing fad and there are those for whom it is an obsession. What you said may seem perfectly rational to you but most of the collectors I know are FAR from perfectly rational when it comes to collecting comic art. I know that if I wanted to frame everything I have (or want) I could never afford a house big enough. Probably would go broke on frames alone!

For me the most important advice I have "learned" since starting in this hobby is to watch what you buy. When I first started out I would buy everything I could find with Thanos or Squadron Supreme on it no matter how small the panel or who the artist was. Then I would get on a certain artist kick and buy everything I could that they touched regardless if I loved it or not. Those $40-100 pages start to really add up and if you just save up and get a piece you really love then it will make it oh so much more worth it. Its hard pulling the trigger on that first $1000 page. If your not carefull you will be like me stuck with 200 pages and getting ready to sell most of them to finance the ones you can be really proud of.

Can anyone comment on the availability of OA from the British comic book 2000 A.D., specifically the early 80s period?

How is the market for this material? Is the demand far greater than the supply? Is much of it even around (meaning, not destroyed, lost, etc.)? What about the covers?

We all know that alot of superstar artists cut their teeth on 2000 A.D. -- Brian Bolland, Kevin O'Neill, Dave Gibbons, Glen Farby, Simon Bisely, etc., etc.

And then there's the whole Alan Moore/Grant Morrison/Neil Gaiman thing as well, which, I think, would also increase demand.

Personally I'm also a big fan of Gibson, Ezquerra and Belardinelli.

Finally, can anyone recommend any British (or European) OA sellers who deal in 2000 A.D. artwork?

Hihi, I'm new here.

I've been lurking here scrounging for advice on how to obtain some artwork and I finally got my first piece! I purchased a sketch and a final ink drawing.

I am trying to figure out how to frame it. I figured I would bring it to a reputable framer and have him help out, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice in terms of what quality of glass/materials I would need, etc?

Since I have both a sketch and an ink drawing, should I put them both in one frame? Both in separate frames? Store the sketch and frame only the ink?

Edited by ksn

I have a noob question I'm hoping someone can help me with... is it bad form to try to negotiate with a dealer after he's given you his best price?

For example, I've emailed a dealer about a few pieces I'm interested in -- they add up to about $2000. I ask him what his best price is for the lot and he comes back with $1775 (about 10-11% off). Is that it or is that price still open to negotiation? I do want these pieces and so I don't want to insult him and/or drive him away but I also want to get the best price.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

With a dealer, negotiation is ok as long as you stay fair and if he doesn't want to go lower, decide what you want to do. (Remember they are in the game to make money) If you buy then ask him to remember you next time. A lot of dealers will also consider trade if you have something they might want.

I have a noob question I'm hoping someone can help me with... is it bad form to try to negotiate with a dealer after he's given you his best price?

For example, I've emailed a dealer about a few pieces I'm interested in -- they add up to about $2000. I ask him what his best price is for the lot and he comes back with $1775 (about 10-11% off). Is that it or is that price still open to negotiation? I do want these pieces and so I don't want to insult him and/or drive him away but I also want to get the best price.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

It's totally reasonable to ask him to go lower, or rather to come back with what you can offer. I've gotten some stuff for about half what the dealer was originally asking (of course, not all the time). Just be respectful (not obsequious) and honest, and you should be fine. Remember, it's a business transaction. he's not doing you a favor by selling you art, and you're not doing him a favor by buying it.

There are indeed some thin skins in the hobby, unfortunately. I'd recommend reading over your email before sending, to make sure there's nothing in it that could be misconstrued. I like the tone of my communications to be pretty casual, so I have to peruse them thoroughly to make sure the recipient doesn't think I'm being rude or sarcastic.

ok, here is a question for you all.. What is the best way to mount a piece of art into a frame. I know the use of matting is what everyone does but as of right now, I cant go down to a frame shop and have it done. anywhere else I can get it, either the material and do it myself or some already cut and sized stuff?