• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to OA Collecting, Advice, tips?
9 9

1,154 posts in this topic

I agree with everybody that has said go slow and tend to stick to particular interest areas. I bought a bunch of female pinups over the years that I have just fallen out of love with. Ebaying a bunch of them now. Some I will make money on, others I will lose money on, but this will allow me to thin the collection and get the art to others that would appreciate it.

I think most people would say ComicArtFans.com as the go to place for OA. Heritage just released an iPad app for their catalog that I really like.. it made it pretty easy to view the OA from the current auctions. eBay is so-so with looking for OA. Like most of eBay you have to sift through a bunch of junk to get to what you want.

Where is the best place to browse for OA? Ebay?

To me it depends on what you are looking for. Ebay is good for stuff under $500, and I once heard someone opine that ebay's limit is $1000, if you want to sell don't expect more than that. So if you want to buy art for more than $1000, I wouldn't be on ebay only. But I have long habitualized myself to check the new auctions on ebay EVERY DAY. The scroll through takes only a few minutes if you check every day or so and you won't miss much. I guarantee I have Starman pages that I got through ebay and BIN that others never knew were even for sale. Boy that was awkward phrasing!

I agree CAF is the place to check, set up keywords and they do the work for you. They don't have every dealer, but have the bigger ones.

Then troll the net and see what you catch. I am making time payments on a piece I will likely enter in the CAF Best of 2012 that I found through the dealer list in the marketplace on this board. I clicked on every link in the thread and found comic art source. I had never heard of comicartsource before but Adan has been easy to work with and I will soon have a Nowlan Strange Tales cover - only because I am diligent about finding any art out there that is in my wheelhouse. Well, because of that and because Adan is easy to work with, as I said.

Others have tried to start clearinghouse type websites but they don't seem to take hold. I have an idea for one as well, and my wife is a web designer and a good one at that, but I still probably won't do it. (shrug)

Is production art similar to original art? Bit confused with some of the are on Ebay that says production art like this one Ebay Production Art ? Is this considered an original and what exactly do they use them for? I would like to purchase one just to frame on the wall but don't want to pull the trigger until I know what I'm buying.

Thanks

Is production art similar to original art? Bit confused with some of the are on Ebay that says production art like this one Ebay Production Art ? Is this considered an original and what exactly do they use them for? I would like to purchase one just to frame on the wall but don't want to pull the trigger until I know what I'm buying.

Thanks

That page has nothing to do with the creation of a comic book. That seller makes those overlays himself via xerox.

Even real production art is usually a color proof or some derivation of that....

Thanks

That page has nothing to do with the creation of a comic book. That seller makes those overlays himself via xerox.

Even real production art is usually a color proof or some derivation of that....

That's absurd! The lettering on a separate overlay? If you're going to run a scam, at least learn a little bit about the era you're trying forge. This actually represents copyright infringement, but is so small time, I doubt Marvel would even care.

I think most people would say ComicArtFans.com as the go to place for OA. Heritage just released an iPad app for their catalog that I really like.. it made it pretty easy to view the OA from the current auctions. eBay is so-so with looking for OA. Like most of eBay you have to sift through a bunch of junk to get to what you want.

http://www.splashpageart.com/

Quick questions for OA owners / dealers -

Is artwork for particular issues tied to the strength of that issue?

For example, if issue sells for x times guide will should art be priced to sell / trade / purchase the same?

If not, how do you price the OA for trade / sale / purchase?

I find it intriguing because with comics there are usually ways to set the market but with OA, every piece is one-of-a-kind so...it seems difficult to know if you are getting a great deal...

Is there a difference between the terms Double Page Splash and Double Page Spread?

if its anything it'd be that the Double Page Spread has panels

jrjrasm26p14-15.jpg

where the Splash page is just one big image

def1dps.jpg

but to be honest they're probabily just the same

umyeahwhatevers - many factors drive OA pricing. Nostalgia is a big one, along with a hot artist or writer (which you can argue is also tied into nostalgia). I imagine the same factors drive comic pricing, so I there is likely a relationship. But there are no handy dandy factors that can be applied based on comic pricing, you just have to learn and know the OA market.

Reader - I agree with Maccai 3's definition of double page splash and double page spread, although those terms are used interchangeably alot.

Malvin

Re: Value drivers

I believe that value of comics and the OA that created them is driven by (in no order):

1) Character and changes to that character

2) Strong story line driving change

3) Strong art leveraging the capabilities of sequential art to tell the story

4) Nostalgia

To say it differently, value is created by strong characters in a moving story illustrated dramatically that we encountered at a point in our lives that made it speak to us.

Examples include: DKR, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, etc. In my specific case, the combination that really sticks was Shooter/Swan/LSH. Those are pages that really draw me in.

Re: Splash / Spread

I agree with Maccai3's definition:

* Splash - one image;

* Spread - multiple images dominated by a scene that covers two pages.

I also agree with Malvin; I believe that the difference is generally ignored to the detriment of effective communication in my opinion.

Hey guys

I'm new to comic art and this thread was very helpful. I just bought my first OA and I'll be taking it today to get it framed. My local framer is doing it with Musuem quality glass and materials and is having a 20% off sale this week! I can't wait to see the finished product.

I look forward to learning more.

AndyA

hi. new to the boards and just bought my first original comic art page. quite some helpful tips here. as what other advised i bought a page that i really loved. actually, its a 2-page splash page....i do have a question. does Frame It Again Sam sell frames that I can put my 2-page OA? How much is it?

hi. new to the boards and just bought my first original comic art page. quite some helpful tips here. as what other advised i bought a page that i really loved. actually, its a 2-page splash page....i do have a question. does Frame It Again Sam sell frames that I can put my 2-page OA? How much is it?

I would actually be a little careful about using frames from Sam's for OA. Is it UV glass? Is the backing acid free? If a mat is included is it acid free? If you care a lot about the pages, I would spend the money to get a decent frame.

Best advice I can give anyone entering the OA is this...

1) Buy the best image of the character that made the artist famous you can afford.

2) Don't wait, sitting around waiting will do nothing other than give someone else a chance to buy it before you.

3) Start big, not small. Thinking of selling your comics for OA? Do it, then refer to step 1.

4) Buy quality, not quantity! A Lot of guys like having a lot of something, a big pile of medicore art will do nothing for you when it comes time to sell. Big stuff sells, medicore stuff sits there and collects dust.

5) Protect your OA, put them in mylars. I've seen 30K+ pieces of art just sitting around unprotected just waiting to have a cup of coffee spilled on it.

6) Get insurance or put them in a vault. If you need them to be close to you, take HQ photocopies for your viewing pleasure.

7) Don't overly show it off. The less people see it, the better. It gets old seeing the same piece of art over and over again. When it comes time to sell, it'll be "fresh to the market". Impulse buying is the reason.

8) Make connections. People don't want thier prized art being sold to just anyone.

9) Find a way to fund the hobby...so get on that street corner!

10) If it's not fun for you or can't afford it, get out.

Best advice I can give anyone entering the OA is this...

1) Buy the best image of the character that made the artist famous you can afford.

2) Don't wait, sitting around waiting will do nothing other than give someone else a chance to buy it before you.

3) Start big, not small. Thinking of selling your comics for OA? Do it, then refer to step 1.

4) Buy quality, not quantity! A Lot of guys like having a lot of something, a big pile of medicore art will do nothing for you when it comes time to sell. Big stuff sells, medicore stuff sits there and collects dust.

5) Protect your OA, put them in mylars. I've seen 30K+ pieces of art just sitting around unprotected just waiting to have a cup of coffee spilled on it.

6) Get insurance or put them in a vault. If you need them to be close to you, take HQ photocopies for your viewing pleasure.

7) Don't overly show it off. The less people see it, the better. It gets old seeing the same piece of art over and over again. When it comes time to sell, it'll be "fresh to the market". Impulse buying is the reason.

8) Make connections. People don't want thier prized art being sold to just anyone.

9) Find a way to fund the hobby...so get on that street corner!

10) If it's not fun for you or can't afford it, get out.

Some great advice there! It took me a while to realize #3 and #2 resulted in me missing out on a few items I really regret now.