• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay 99-cent auctions: Hedy, Millie, Tessie, Nellie & other Marvel GGA titles

1 post in this topic

Last night I posted about 45 auctions on eBay, all with 99-cent starting bids. These are 5-day auctions (I had wanted to do 7-day but couldn't finish in time) that will end the evening of Sunday, Nov. 20.

All the comics are golden-age titles from Timely/Marvel/Atlas, in the genre of teen, romance, and comedy -- basically the Marvel equivalents of Archie type comics. (Some could be considered partially "superhero" in cases where there is a Powerhouse Pepper story...)

Nearly every name or title is represented, including: Hedy De Vine, Millie the Model, Tessie the Typist, Nellie the Nurse, Cindy, Margie, Patsy Walker, Rusty, Oscar, Willie, Jeanie, Georgie, Teen Comics, Gay Comics, Comedy Comics, and Joker Comics. There are even some Miss America magazines (also Marvel), one of which has photos of a young Bettie Page.

This is some real cute material, with ample '40s-style pinup GGA but in an innocent style. Many of the comics contain Harvey Kurtzman "Hey Look!" pages and Basil Wolverton art, including his Powerhouse Pepper character.

Here is a link to my auctions (eBay name: doohickamabob), and here is a photo that shows some of what's being auctioned:

marvel-spread2.jpg

Thanks for looking!