• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metropolis *spooned* me
2 2

575 posts in this topic

Right now, the thread is a bit soft. Seems a perfect time for pullage. Once it achieves sufficient length, it will no doubt be in even a better position for pullage.

Where did your avatar go?

I can see it.

any reason you did not ask for a scan of the actual book before ordering?

Will Metro typically do this on request? It's been a while, but I seem to recall requesting a scan previously and not having a very receptive response to my request...I'm sure it depends on the value of the book and the customer history, but I didn't think they would honor every request for scans. :(

I ordered a Mary Marvel #17 in 7.0 from Metropolis. It was a stock photo, a Davis Crippen copy.

At any point during the transaction, did you confirm whether the posted scan was the actual book you were buying?

I'd be curious to hear accounts from both sides before passing judgement.

Based on your account of things, it does seem like poor seller form for a book in that price range to not use an actual scan representing it in the listing, and worse, using the scan of a Crippen copy instead of what was actually being sold.

To the op, have you actually contacted Metro to try to resolve this problem? It isn't clear from your post.

If not, Its not always a great idea to come on here and blast sellers without trying to resolve the issue first.

I have no horse in this race. Just trying to point out that this thread could easily fall into a familiar and ugly pattern.

Wttb.

This is my first post, the first thing that has moved me. I saw a post from someone asking basically "does Metropolis deliver on the grades promised." I ordered a Mary Marvel #17 in 7.0 from Metropolis. It was a stock photo, a Davis Crippen copy.

For the most part they failed. It had a nice cover. What they did not disclose was heavy foxing along the right edge and staple rust that had long ago spread to the cover and inner pages.

In my opinion, it graded a 5.5.

To return it, I would have to forfeit the initial $10 shipping charge plus whatever it would cost me to return it.

I decided not to return it. I love my copy of Mary Marvel.

Metropolis, I hope the karma sets in on you.

did you contact them over the issue before you came here to bitch about it?

Why don't people contact vendors for resolution before complaining in public?

I knew that the posted scan was not the actual copy but I trusted their grading. Mary Marvel #17 is a wonderful cover and story with aunt agatha and Mary riding on a broomstick. She is about to lose her house to a crooked banker.

Instead of using her physical strength, Mary uses her natural intelligence to help her aunt.

There was no way that I was going to return this copy.

But I overpaid based on their assessment of the grade. I welcome their response.

I knew that the posted scan was not the actual copy but I trusted their grading. Mary Marvel #17 is a wonderful cover and story with aunt agatha and Mary riding on a broomstick. She is about to lose her house to a crooked banker.

Instead of using her physical strength, Mary uses her natural intelligence to help her aunt.

There was no way that I was going to return this copy.

But I overpaid based on their assessment of the grade. I welcome their response.

A scan please.

Will Metro typically do this on request? It's been a while, but I seem to recall requesting a scan previously and not having a very receptive response to my request...I'm sure it depends on the value of the book and the customer history, but I didn't think they would honor every request for scans. :(

They always have for me, on multiple books, as cheap as $100. I have bought maybe 10 things from them over the last 12 years, all under $1k...

Edited by mattbird

They always have for me, on multiple books, as cheap as $100. I have bought maybe 10 things from them over the last 12 years, all under $1k...

That's good to know, doubt I would ever spend over a hundred $ for a book that I couldn't see first, slabbed or no. (thumbs u

Let me see if I have this straight:

1) You contacted Metropolis to buy a book.

2) You don't ask for a scan of said book, even though you see it's just a stock picture.

3) You then receive said book, and disagree with the grade.

4) They offer a refund, but you really want to keep the book, despite it upsetting you enough to come here and complain about it.

5) Now you start a thread to complain about the grading of a book, despite the fact that it couldn't be so bad since you are going to keep it.

Are you serious?

I mean, this is just completely and abjectly stupid on the buyer's part. You were lazy or careless in not asking for a scan, we have no idea what the book looks like, and now you are here demanding a response from Metro.

I'd rather jump off a cliff than be a full time dealer and deal with like this.

Edited by Foolkiller

Did a little detective work, as is my wont, and because it helps me avoid real work (Steve? Is that you? Uhoh)

Anyway, I checked up on this -- he's right, there was no scan, which is not unusual, since at the time we were drowning in unscanned books and have since caught up, which is nothing short of a miracle. I don't have a record of him having requested one, but this was sold back in 2009, so I may just not have searched properly. I'm disappointed he hadn't contacted us right away, as we could have resolved things pretty quickly, as this was a raw book. We accept returns for any reason on raw books within 10 days of the customers' receipt of the book, just for the record. Without a scan of the book, I can't say for sure what the issue might be, I'm afraid.

Also, folks, you can always contact us with problems directly! Email, phone call, carrier pigeon. We won't bite, unless it pays well. I check my email with almost psychotic frequency, so I usually respond pretty quickly. And as for scans, we have someone working full time on nothing but scanning books, so even $2 cheapies are getting scanned for the site. We're adding 300-500 books a week to inventory, which means we're invariably behind a bit, so email or call if you don't see a scan for a book you're interested in, we'll try to get it pulled and scanned as fast as possible. The only exceptions are books which are off-site or consignments for which we have to badger the seller, but 95% of what's unscanned on the site, I can get you an image pretty quickly by request.

I think that should answer everything. I am now crawling back under my desk for a well-earned nap. Play quietly.

Frank

Metropolis

orders@metropoliscomics.com

212 260 4147 x10

2) You don't ask for a scan of said book, even though you see it's just a stock picture.

4) They offer a refund, but you really want to keep the book, despite it upsetting you enough to come here and complain about it.

5) Now you start a thread to complain about the grading of a book, despite the fact that it couldn't be so bad since you are going to keep it.

Are you serious?

I mean, this is just completely and abjectly stupid on the buyer's part. You were lazy or careless in not asking for a scan, we have no idea what the book looks like, and now you are here demanding a response from Metro.

Spot on Brian. I wonder who the OP really is hm

Are you serious?

And apparently, the book was sold two years ago, so this not only qualifies as old news, but one of the worst cases of holding-a-grudge-for-years, when-in-fact, you-are-the-one-at-fault, that I've ever seen.

Are you serious?

Spot on Brian. I wonder who the OP really is hm

+1