• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Our Army at War #83s!
2 2

161 posts in this topic

My copy just came in and I was shocked by the grade.

I am happier then a pig in :censored:

The guys on the boards said it would be a 1.0 and it came back ...

photo IMG_8463_zps5iuyqdrz.jpg

If I would have know I would have had the bad boy pressed :roflmao:

I found this one in the wild, all taped up and unwanted.

I didn't even look at the sticker price and went to the till and bought it.

Congrats on getting a sweet copy of the Action 1 of the war comics genre. 83 is a special key- a first appearance that was literally "years in the making." I remember getting my copy and thinking just how important the Rock is to the history of the comic book. It's wonderful that this book has found its rightful place among the greatest SA keys. 83 also happens to be the scarcest top 20 key book- not a book that a collector can find with ease.

A recent thread raised the question concerning where to start collecting war books?

It starts and ends with Our Army at War 83...

Best,

John

I agree with John on the scarcity of 83. When I was working on my OAAW run 83 just wasn't a book that was offered for sale often. Most issues were pretty easy to locate at fine or above, but the 83 was elusive, even back when 81 was considered the first Rock appearance (pre-Pedrin Guide in other words!). I'm happy with my vg/fn copy, even if it looks a bit puny next to my higher grade DC war keys.

Agreed on the 84 as well. For Rocks, the toughest in grade for me were 83, 84 and 88. 112 is tough in nice shape because of the black cover, and 115 for the same reason with the blue area on the upper part of the cover-I see a lot with color breaks and that blue really makes them stand out.

My copy just came in and I was shocked by the grade.

I am happier then a pig in :censored:

The guys on the boards said it would be a 1.0 and it came back ...

photo IMG_8463_zps5iuyqdrz.jpg

If I would have know I would have had the bad boy pressed :roflmao:

I found this one in the wild, all taped up and unwanted.

I didn't even look at the sticker price and went to the till and bought it.

Congrats on getting a sweet copy of the Action 1 of the war comics genre. 83 is a special key- a first appearance that was literally "years in the making." I remember getting my copy and thinking just how important the Rock is to the history of the comic book. It's wonderful that this book has found its rightful place among the greatest SA keys. 83 also happens to be the scarcest top 20 key book- not a book that a collector can find with ease.

A recent thread raised the question concerning where to start collecting war books?

It starts and ends with Our Army at War 83...

Best,

John

Thank you John

(thumbs u

Thanks to the one and only Gator I finally get to join this club. PQ closed the deal! Thank you sir! Still on vacation but had to post a blurry pic!

OAAW83_zpsdepbop5t.jpg

Wow- the scarcest OSPG Top 20 SA key with white pages! (thumbs u

The Action Comics 1 of the War Genre continues to hold its own among a sea of Silver Age Superhero keys - especially Marvel. No movie, no television series, no appearance in any car commercials, no Disney purchases Fox entertainment, and no licensed products (i.e. Sgt Rock underwear). This book stands on its own and like its "true first appearance" of the greatest war character in the history of comics, 83 is a true representation of what's great about this hobby. Not enough copies for flippers and the characters who buy up dozens of a particular Silver Age key (like their usual targets: Marvel SA keys) and manipulate the price. None of the "should I invest in this book if movie comes out or -script is floating around Hollywood talk. No mention of his appearing in an episode of Riverdale (might be cool if he did) so get a copy while you still can. 83 is a just a great key. 

11 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm so glad that I pulled the trigger on my copy years ago. It was a fraction of the cost of today's copies but still an expensive book for me at the time. 

2402132143551.jpg

Great copy! What's also incredible about this book is that Rock isn't on the cover. 

Here's one that just sold on C-Link exchange:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DArmy%2B83%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1306138

Finally found myself a copy - happy to be part of another rare club - this and my BK1 are my two books I’ll never part with. I just think what people have said in this thread are completely accurate - this is the action comics 1 of war comics and it’s a key that consistently sees gains in a land where every other book needs a movie or media gimmick to push it - sgt rock doesn’t need any of that - it’s a true grail and will continue to be one into the future - in fact it might be one of the last major silver age key issues that remains untouched by media. 

FA9A0752-D3D9-4F28-B605-047D6169E10D.jpeg

Edited by Robo99