• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the Innocent, Love & Death, Parade of Pleasure and more!

133 posts in this topic

And if you thought SOTI was a tough book to find... just try finding a copy of Parade of Pleasure. Also published in 1954, it was the British equivalent of SOTI. Last I knew, Overstreet's info on the book wasn't completely accurate. There were two printings in the 50's: one in the UK and one in the US, and each with a different publisher. This is the UK printing published by Derek Verschoyle. Both of these printings are exceedingly tough to find (I rarely like to use the word "rare" because it's so overused in this hobby and because I've seen things like McFarlane's Spider-man #1 described as "rare".) If you've been looking for this book, then you already know how tough it is to find any copy in any condition. You can buy a copy of SOTI any day of the week if your pockets are deep enough, but original copies of POP just don't show up for sale.

There was a softcover reprint of this book a year or two ago from Pure Imagination. However, that reprint didn't include any of the original illustrations from this book. The only way to read what was said about these comic illustrations is to buy an original.

Side note: the chapter on pinup magazines includes a Marilyn Monroe photo and a story of Irving Klaw and Bettie Page.

This copy is in solid condition, and it actualy has the dust jacket. You can see in the photos that the dust jacket has some condition problems. A previous owner decided to stop the paper loss at the spine and edges by adding extensive transparent tape to the dust jacket. So the dust jacket isn't the best, but the jacket alone is SOOOO tough to find in any condition. I tried to take enough photos that you get a good idea of the condition of both the book and the DJ. If you have questions or would like more photos, just let me know. Yours for $450

Why is this still here? :takeit:

^^

Thanks!

Wow! That cleans out the last of the items from my first day of posting... I'll be listing a few more items tonight.

Ladies Home Journal, November, 1953. Five months before Seduction of the Innocent was published, Ladies' Home Journal published "What Parents Don't Know About Comic Books", excerpted from SOTI. This article was widely read and helpedfuel the anti-comics hysteria of the early 50's.You can sometimes find copies of this magazine for sale, but rarely do you find inexpensive copies. This one's cheap, and whenyou see the condition you'll see why. FC is detatched and in two pieces. BC is missing entirely. However, the interior including the Wertham article is intact. $20

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_01.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_02.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_03.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_04.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_05.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_06.jpg

Ladies_Home_Journal_November_1953_07.jpg

Another copy of Parade of Pleasure.

Here's my only spare of the POP reprint. It was sold to me as "like new", but the eBay seller then shipped it in a

padded envelope with no additional support. So now it's about a VG-ish. Note the bend at the spine. Cover price is $25. Yours for $15. SOLD

Parade_of_Pleasure_SC_01.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_SC_02.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_SC_03.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_SC_04.jpg

Volumes 1 and 2 of the Photo Journal Guide to Comic Books by Ernie Gerber, still in their original shrinkwrap. Okay, so this has nothing to do with SOTI except for maybe the fact that Phantom Lady #17 is on the cover. But it's a really cool two-volume set and it's essential reading for anybody interested in GA books.

These suckers are heavy, but they will qualify for Media Mail if that's what you want. I'll pack securely with sufficient bubble wrap. Way below initial cover price at just $40 for the set. SOLD

Photo_Journal.jpg

After the Code was in place, T.E. Murphy wrote this article "Progress in Cleaning Up the Comics" for Reader's Digest. This copy has

some condition problems: somebody sliced out about 8 small passages from the text, but those cutouts do not affect the comics article. I also

found three places where ballpoint pen was used to circle words, but again this does not affect the comics article. $5 SOLD

Readers_Digest_February_1956_01.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_02.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_03.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_04.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_05.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_06.jpg

Saturday Review of Literature, April 9, 1955

After Seduction of the Innocent was published and after the Senate hearings, Dr. Wertham didn't just fade away. He continued his crusade against comics even after the Code was in place.

The thing was, after the code was in place, comics had been neutered to the satisfaction of most parents, and Wertham's continued criticisms didn't get much national attention.

In this 1955 issue of the Saturday Review of Literature, Wertham criticizes the recently "cleaned up" comics with this article subtitled "What Parents Still Don't Know About Comics". $25 SOLD

Saturday_Review_of_Literature_1955_01.jpg

Saturday_Review_of_Literature_1955_02.jpg

I think that'll have to be all the new items for tonight. More this weekend as time permits.

Stay tuned! Upcoming items include another copy of Seduction of the Innocent, and at least one of the recently-discovered "lost SOTI" comic books (a comic book that was referenced in SOTI, but which is not noted as SOTI in Overstreet).

See you back here soon... same bat time, same bat channel.

After the Code was in place, T.E. Murphy wrote this article "Progress in Cleaning Up the Comics" for Reader's Digest. This copy has

some condition problems: somebody sliced out about 8 small passages from the text, but those cutouts do not affect the comics article. I also

found three places where ballpoint pen was used to circle words, but again this does not affect the comics article. $5

Readers_Digest_February_1956_01.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_02.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_03.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_04.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_05.jpg

Readers_Digest_February_1956_06.jpg

:takeit:

Saturday Review of Literature, April 9, 1955

After Seduction of the Innocent was published and after the Senate hearings, Dr. Wertham didn't just fade away. He continued his crusade against comics even after the Code was in place.

The thing was, after the code was in place, comics had been neutered to the satisfaction of most parents, and Wertham's continued criticisms didn't get much national attention.

In this 1955 issue of the Saturday Review of Literature, Wertham criticizes the recently "cleaned up" comics with this article subtitled "What Parents Still Don't Know About Comics". $25

Saturday_Review_of_Literature_1955_01.jpg

Saturday_Review_of_Literature_1955_02.jpg

:takeit: