• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect December Auction

181 posts in this topic

It went relatively cheap, too. There've been a lot of less expensive Mile Highs this month.

I was looking at the Weird Science 10. It's only 8.0, but I don't think I've ever seen a MH EC up for auction. Speaking of which, any idea where most of those are?

I won this instead. Realize it's not a 5.5 with that long crease(4.5?) but now only need 3 to complete my 1954 Actions and it does have those White pages! Wish I could be strictly an investor but having too much fun collecting.

act1.8364a.jpg

No idea. I've got that one on my watch list, too, just because it is a Mile High EC. I'm curious how well it will do compared to the Gaines copies.

That's an interesting question. I would think because you a) never see the MH ECs and b) the Gaines copies come up for auction frequently that there would be a significant premium over what a Gaines copy would bring in the same grade. However since most GFCs are better than 8.0, I don't know how much of that you'll be able to see from this auction.

I've always assumed that most of the MH ECs are locked away in a single private collection, but that's pure speculation. Sure hope they come to market someday!

That's a pretty Action! Not an easy time period to find copies that look that attractive.

No idea. I've got that one on my watch list, too, just because it is a Mile High EC. I'm curious how well it will do compared to the Gaines copies.

That's an interesting question. I would think because you a) never see the MH ECs and b) the Gaines copies come up for auction frequently that there would be a significant premium over what a Gaines copy would bring in the same grade. However since most GFCs are better than 8.0, I don't know how much of that you'll be able to see from this auction.

I've always assumed that most of the MH ECs are locked away in a single private collection, but that's pure speculation. Sure hope they come to market someday!

I can't cite specific past sales for reference but I don't see the Church or any other pedigree copy going for more than a Gaines copy in similar grade unless it happens to be qualitatively better in some regard. For example, if the Gaines had cr-ow pages and the other pedigree had white pages you might see a premium.

The market for EC pedigrees is special due to the uniformly high quality & quantity of the GFCs.

I can't cite specific past sales for reference but I don't see the Church or any other pedigree copy going for more than a Gaines copy in similar grade unless it happens to be qualitatively better in some regard. For example, if the Gaines had cr-ow pages and the other pedigree had white pages you might see a premium.

The market for EC pedigrees is special due to the uniformly high quality & quantity of the GFCs.

They're certainly unique as pedigrees go. I agree with you for most pedigrees, but for my money if I was comparing Gaines and MH copies of the same book in the same grade, I'd go with the MH every time. But that's just me 2c

There are 11 copies graded higher than the MH and I assume most of them are Gaines copies. I would think a non-Pedigree copy of the book would be pretty cheap. If it goes for more than $200, I think it is because it's a Mile High.