• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it open season for CGC to grade any magazine?
2 2

107 posts in this topic

I wish there would be more info n magazine grading. I want to grade some Metal Hammer UK magazines, just because I like the covers, but with so little info on the website I have nno idea if it is possible.

Well they grade underground comix with hardcore content, no problem. I was a tad embarrassed when I presented my copy of Rory Hayes' C*nt Comics to a female employee of CGC at a Wondercon a number of years ago. She didn't even bat an eye and we had a nice little chat about it as we completed the paperwork. Maybe it's photo representation there's a problem with when it comes to hardcore?

Edited by wpbooks

When I inquired at Wonder Con about CGC's magazine grading, they told me outside of comic book related magazines, including indie press, they only do a few titles that are non-comic related, but will grade based on signature series submissions, so if you get any magazine featuring a celebrity to autograph, they'll grade that magazine.

14 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Any updates on CGC grading non-comic magazines?

http://www.cgcmagazines.com/

While the list of magazine titles eligible for certification by CGC Magazines will be expanded, CGC presently accepts submissions of only the following magazines:

Sports Illustrated – All issues August 16, 1954, to present
Playboy – All issues December 1953 to present

Edited by RedRaven

16 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Any updates on CGC grading non-comic magazines?

Greetings, fellow magazine enthusiasts! From what I've been able to ascertain, one of the issues with doing some of the non-comic related magazine titles is the amount of research involved. For instance, while certain titles meet the size and page count criteria, they pose a significant time constraint when assessing things like inserts, numbering, variant covers, special editions, et cetera. Believe me, there are some books that I'd like to see incorporated into CGC's portfolio, but as of now, the people involved with certifying these books are already very, very busy. But never say never...   :)

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Greetings, fellow magazine enthusiasts! From what I've been able to ascertain, one of the issues with doing some of the non-comic related magazine titles is the amount of research involved. For instance, while certain titles meet the size and page count criteria, they pose a significant time constraint when assessing things like inserts, numbering, variant covers, special editions, et cetera. Believe me, there are some books that I'd like to see incorporated into CGC's portfolio, but as of now, the people involved with certifying these books are already very, very busy. But never say never...   :)

I forgot all about the counting of pages aspect. Yikes.

On 7/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, The Lions Den said:

Apparently the Playboys have some pretty impressive

Wonder how they are treating missing subscription cards from Playboys etc?  Personally I think they mean nothing.  I have a sweet copy of the first Esquire thats begging to be graded as well as many high grade old Vogues, pulps, Bolles and GG covers of various mags.  Grade em as if they were comics.

Just now, oakman29 said:

Jumping the gun on that Madam President journey! She belongs in prison after the Bengazi  fiasco.

It was recalled hence the collectibility. 

I’m going to find high grades (7.5 or higher) of these two at some point for CGC. The hunt is on!

39A57151-16F1-457E-BC67-AABB174C5F02.jpeg.157882a84e84298cc10d5a25a2aab8db.jpeg

B802F418-2810-48A7-8990-8F01994A51C4.jpeg.0a0e7d324a8212f79c35c26a0200cc78.jpeg

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

It was recalled hence the collectibility. 

I’m going to find high grades (7.5 or higher) of these two at some point for CGC. The hunt is on!

39A57151-16F1-457E-BC67-AABB174C5F02.jpeg.157882a84e84298cc10d5a25a2aab8db.jpeg

B802F418-2810-48A7-8990-8F01994A51C4.jpeg.0a0e7d324a8212f79c35c26a0200cc78.jpeg

Those are awesome.