• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it open season for CGC to grade any magazine?
2 2

107 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2018 at 10:58 AM, The Lions Den said:
On 7/26/2018 at 5:56 PM, ThothAmon said:

Any updates on CGC grading non-comic magazines?

Greetings, fellow magazine enthusiasts! From what I've been able to ascertain, one of the issues with doing some of the non-comic related magazine titles is the amount of research involved. For instance, while certain titles meet the size and page count criteria, they pose a significant time constraint when assessing things like inserts, numbering, variant covers, special editions, et cetera. Believe me, there are some books that I'd like to see incorporated into CGC's portfolio, but as of now, the people involved with certifying these books are already very, very busy. But never say never...   :)

Well, it looks they they are also grading back issues of the first Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:

Books:Overstreet, Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #1 First Print (RobertOverstreet, 1970) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

This copy here just sold for an absolutely stunning $9,000 in the just completed Heritage Auction the other day.  :whatthe:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks they they are also grading back issues of the first Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide:

Books:Overstreet, Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #1 First Print (RobertOverstreet, 1970) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

This copy here just sold for an absolutely stunning $9,000 in the just completed Heritage Auction the other day.  :whatthe:

IMG_4072.PNG.8270582f22e53e690f60482d7ba93127.PNG

On 11/23/2011 at 11:08 AM, Jaded Savage said:

I'm confused on just what they would grade. At first I thought it was only comic mags/graphic novels but then saw they added Sports Illustrated and Playboy (?) to the mix. I today saw a graded Monsters of Filmland.

The one I simply can't understand is Eerie Magazine #1 by Warren Publishing???  ???

All of the other issues show up in their population census report.  Yet nothing at all for the first issue or was it something to do with the high possibility of counterfeit copies.  If this is the case, then shouldn't this also apply to other books like Cerebus #1 which is also prone to having counterfeit copies out there.  hm  (shrug)

On 11/30/2018 at 7:56 AM, cstojano said:

I'd love some CGC SS TSR artist signed Dragon magazines... I haven't seen a graded Dragon though. 

Yeah, no kidding. I'd like to have one done with Larry Elmore for sure. :headbang:

21 hours ago, Skylath said:

Yeah, no kidding. I'd like to have one done with Larry Elmore for sure. :headbang:

I asked about witnesses at Gary Con, no dice. Apparently these smaller cons aren't cost effective for the big names to attend, and this is where the TSR folks can be found. 

On 1/7/2019 at 9:51 PM, lou_fine said:

The one I simply can't understand is Eerie Magazine #1 by Warren Publishing???  ???

All of the other issues show up in their population census report.  Yet nothing at all for the first issue or was it something to do with the high possibility of counterfeit copies.  If this is the case, then shouldn't this also apply to other books like Cerebus #1 which is also prone to having counterfeit copies out there.  hm  (shrug)

Do you have one?

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:
On 1/7/2019 at 9:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Do you have one?

Yes for Cerebus, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately lol with the supposed counterfeits out there) nada for Eerie. :frown:

That is why I have been saving some of these scans, but looks kind of risky to take the plunge.  I believe I have the one for CL saved somewhere, although it was from several years ago, if I remember correctly.  hm

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Yes for Cerebus, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately lol with the supposed counterfeits out there) nada for Eerie. :frown:

That is why I have been saving some of these scans, but looks kind of risky to take the plunge.  I believe I have the one for CL saved somewhere, although it was from several years ago, if I remember correctly.  hm

You have to find one with some kind of provenance.

4 hours ago, cstojano said:

I asked about witnesses at Gary Con, no dice. Apparently these smaller cons aren't cost effective for the big names to attend, and this is where the TSR folks can be found. 

Last time I was at Chicago comic con, Larry Elmore was there

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You have to find one with some kind of provenance.

Not sure if any of the ones I saw on the Heritage and CL auction sites had any provenance.  They just seem to have a written description with some type of disclaimer qualifier such as the following example:  

Publisher: WARREN 
Page Quality: Off-White to White Pages 
Seller's Grading Comments: COMICLINK GRADED. FIRST PRINTING. 
End Date: 1/20/2010 11:25:40 PM
ComicLink Comments:
There is said to have been only 500 copies published of this elusive first print/first edition of Warren's Eerie #1. More of a pamphlet then a comic magazine, Warren produced this 5 1/4" x 7 1/4" book quickly to earn the rights to the name. Because of its cheap printing format, at least 2 unauthorized editions are known to exist. Even though authenticating this comic has uncertainties, there are some tell-tale signs of the first printing done by Warren. There is no blue coloration of any kind found on the staples of this example, the second printing is said to have 1/4" blue stripes on the staples. Secondly, on page 18 panel 5 the bald headed man is clear and discernible on later printings, where as, in the original the bald head is not visible because it blends in with the black shadows. This example exhibits no bald head in the panel. Finally, determined by looking at the house on the lower right-hand corner of the first page of the first story, the lines on the roof of the house are sharp and unbroken. Later printings are said to have broken lines on the roof.

The offered example has been reviewed by ComicLink and by the best of our abilities we have determined that this is a first printing - first edition. CGC does not certify this book because of its inexpensive publication methods and ease of counterfeiting. Therefore it is impossible to verify that any one example is truly the first print and ComicLink cannot guarantee its authenticity with 100% certainty. The offered example has been preserved nicely with supple Off-White to White pages and has been graded at 9.4 NM by ComicLink.

Looks like I had some type of losing bid on this copy here as I was rather wary of CL's qualifier and was not really willing to go too high on the book.  I believe the Heritage copies had pretty much the same description, but didn't have the same qualifier and went for a whole lot more money.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

The issues with Eerie 1 are pretty well known.  Even the most experienced dealers won’t say they can detect a first printing with certainty.  Having spoken with many of the “old guys” that have been buying and selling for 40-50 years, I won’t pursue the book.  Eerie 2 is the first magazine in the run and I don’t consider Eerie 1 a magazine.  2c

On 9/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

I have a NM Hustler #1 from 1974.  Can I send it in for grading?

On 9/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, wikked said:

Nudity on the cover, so no?

They grade some explicit covers on comic books... and the Hustler 1 is not "explicit" in my view.

5 hours ago, Yorick said:
On 9/2/2018 at 3:37 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

I have a NM Hustler #1 from 1974.  Can I send it in for grading?

On 9/2/2018 at 5:57 PM, wikked said:

Nudity on the cover, so no?

They grade some explicit covers on comic books... and the Hustler 1 is not "explicit" in my view.

I guess a perfect example would be Crackajack Funnies #5 from way back in sexless days of October of 1938.  :gossip:

Overstreet even has a listing that states "Nude woman on cover (10/38)".  :whatthe: