• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it open season for CGC to grade any magazine?
2 2

107 posts in this topic

I'm confused on just what they would grade. At first I thought it was only comic mags/graphic novels but then saw they added Sports Illustrated and Playboy (?) to the mix. I today saw a graded Monsters of Filmland. I've been wanting to do Starlog, Fangoria, and various Men's Interest mags. Would they do other adult magazines? What about digest sized?

I'm confused on just what they would grade. At first I thought it was only comic mags/graphic novels but then saw they added Sports Illustrated and Playboy (?) to the mix. I today saw a graded Monsters of Filmland. I've been wanting to do Starlog, Fangoria, and various Men's Interest mags. Would they do other adult magazines? What about digest sized?

They have graded After Hours which is a girly magazine that happened to be published by Warren. And also the aforementioned examples of Sports Illustrated and Playboy. So it really does seem to be open season. The only definitive answer would have to come from CGC; has anybody asked?

Hustler no1 9.8 White Pages? :sick:

Graders Notes: Interested, interested. Very interested, very interested. And then suddenly I lost all interest in the magazine, about 2/3 of the way through.

Cream to off-white purges?

Unable to verify pages as they are stuck... :sick:

My experience from being involved with Sig Series is that it is a little hit or miss, some might even say arbitrary. There have been three magazines that I am aware of that were rejected for Sig Series for reasons that i am not entirely sure I can quantify. They were science fiction type magazines that were being submitted for authors like Larry Niven.

I have never heard of a Warren or a Marvel/Epic mag being rejected, so that is what I stick to, if I possibly can. Fangoria, Cinezone etc. seem to be fairly safe bets as well. The farther you get out from these "mainstream" titles, the more risk of rejection there is.

After Hours is one that comes to mind. I know the last issue was a prototype for Famous Monsters but the first three issues are mainly 50's girlie magazines. Couple that with Playboy and I get the impression it's ok to submit some of my cheesecake mags, many more popular than After Hours. Would love to submit some of my Bettie Page and M. Monroe covers.

They probably have to have a built database of info for the label notes otherwise they would be stalled at encapsulation. Sure, they could just put the issue #, month & year, but if they leave out what's special about the issue, you know they'd catch hell.

Montrealfilmguy readies his Starlog collection and his Cinefex collection..

Ok we're ready. :whistle:

And someone releasing a horror/scifi mag price guide is long overdue.

Last one is from 2000.

Sure, why not?....just get them signed..

Esquire works too....

BridgesEsq_zps9248328a.jpg

and Bananas..

BananasStarsky006_zps73f0a5e9.jpg

Sound of Music Program Book?

SOMKids008_zps56c63ba6.jpg

and your Starlogs...

StarlogAnderson009_zps43abd8da.jpg