• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inadequate packaging = cracked CGC slab... A case study

79 posts in this topic

You can usually buy decent sized boxes for about $1-$1.50 a box from a cardboard manufacturer.

I know it sucks to pay the $1-$1.50 per box (plus packaging materials) but it saves a lot of time and effort.

Short of freebie boxes I don't know of any other alternative.

Canadapost does have a box little smaller in 2 dimensions than the USPS Box 1095, but I think they charge something ridiculous like $5+ per box. I'll check it out today when I visit the post office.

I used to use the same boxes. They were great because they had lots of room. Now I buy boxes in quantities of 100 and pay about $1 or $1.50 a box from a local cardboard manufacturer. I also get all my bubblewrap and styrophoam peanuts from them in bulk.

Illegal?

I think he used the Priority box as his inner packaging, wrapping it in brown paper for mailing.

How in the world this could be illegal is beyond me, regardless. If I reuse a Priority box as internal packing, that's 100% acceptable. If they want to go through every package to make sure people aren't reusing Priority boxes, well, good on them.

Now, using a Priority box as your outer packaging in a way that is not acceptable by Priority standards...that I can see. I expect your package would just either sit in limbo or be refused altogether, but you're not going to Post Office jail or nothing

Illegal?

I think he used the Priority box as his inner packaging, wrapping it in brown paper for mailing.

How in the world this could be illegal is beyond me, regardless. If I reuse a Priority box as internal packing, that's 100% acceptable. If they want to go through every package to make sure people aren't reusing Priority boxes, well, good on them.

Now, using a Priority box as your outer packaging in a way that is not acceptable by Priority standards...that I can see. I expect your package would just either sit in limbo or be refused altogether, but you're not going to Post Office jail or nothing

Isn't the point of the free boxes to get people to use the Priority Mail method?

I can see how using the box for cardboard would be circumventing the purpose the box was intended for and therefore illegal.

The post office supplies boxes for free for the single use of shipping via priority rate. If they do catch a package not shipped via priority mail but using their material, I believe the receiver of the package is charged the priority rate. Media mail packages are subject to inspection but it looks like this seller skirts the issue by sending it parcel post. I wonder if he got caught once before using MM.

From what I understand even used priority mailer are subject to being charged. I don't like the policy and I end up throwing away the priority boxes which to me is a waste. I like to recycle my packages and at the very least use the boxes to sandwich pack the comics/books. It is another reason why I dislike priority mail.

Its actually illegal to use those Priority boxes as pieces of cardboard like he did. If you are upset with the seller, forward that photo to his local Post Office and ask for a Postal Inspector to look into it.
I never knew this.

The post office supplies boxes for free for the single use of shipping via priority rate. If they do catch a package not shipped via priority mail but using their material, I believe the receiver of the package is charged the priority rate. Media mail packages are subject to inspection but it looks like this seller skirts the issue by sending it parcel post. I wonder if he got caught once before using MM.

From what I understand even used priority mailer are subject to being charged. I don't like the policy and I end up throwing away the priority boxes which to me is a waste. I like to recycle my packages and at the very least use the boxes to sandwich pack the comics/books. It is another reason why I dislike priority mail.

sure, used Priority packages that are reused as exterior packaging...sure. I'm talking about saving old Priority boxes and using them as the interior packaging. CGC case, wrapped in bubble wrap, stuck in medium Priority box, then that placed in larger Priority box with peanuts on either side.

Illegal? Nah. Interior box was already used once for its intended purpose, so the contract with the user is satisfied and the box at that point is just extra cardboard

sure, used Priority packages that are reused as exterior packaging...sure. I'm talking about saving old Priority boxes and using them as the interior packaging. CGC case, wrapped in bubble wrap, stuck in medium Priority box, then that placed in larger Priority box with peanuts on either side.

Illegal? Nah. Interior box was already used once for its intended purpose, so the contract with the user is satisfied and the box at that point is just extra cardboard

I never used the word illegal. From the OP picture that box does not look used. It looks like it was a new box and he cut it for the purpose of using it as packing material. Should the brown paper covering get ripped during transit and the PO sees the box, I believe the PO will send a bill for postage due via priority rate.

On a side note, taking packing material that is free and using it in a manner that it wasn't intended is kind of stealing. In the long run it cost us all with higher shipping rates. Boxes are so easy to come by and stores are more than happy to give them away.

Recently, I've begun to see eBay sellers using BCEMylar "Graded Comic Mailer" boxes to mail CGC slabbed books.

graded_comic_mailer.gif

LINK

These offer inadequate protection. Out of the two that I have received, one slab was severely cracked and the other had micro-cracks in the case.

Two of the last three books that I purchased on the boards arrived with cracked slabs.

Several of the last raw packages I purchased on the boards had ding'd books because of inadequate packing, too.

Unfortunately, just a slice of humanity here. It's shocking that there are board members that don't know how to pack. :P

I get where you're coming from now. I hadn't thought of that angle. I just assumed someone would cut up a new box.

Having said that, the average USPS postal worker would have no way of knowing whether it was previously used or not unless it had some postal markings on it.

I don't mean to add salt to your wound but did you request it to be shipped in a box and packed a certain way? Is this the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Palooka-23-Harvey-Comics-1948-CGC-9-4-Good-Girl-Art-Cover-GGA-Awesome-Book-/380383972573?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5890a6ccdd

If so, don't you think that $4 for shipping is just too cheap for a properly packaged CGC book?

Yeah, usually when I see "economy shipping" or "free shipping", little bells in my head go 'ding ding' to not try this method. I've had books shipped to me in padded envelopes that are 'protected' by cereal box cardboard. I just bought some books from the 40's a few days ago, and I was quick to PM the seller, I would pay for priority in a box with insurance.

Great.. I just won a slab off eBay for $25 with free shipping.. You guys are making me nervous to think of what it's going to look like. Going coast to coast.

Here comes the manilla envelope :baiting:

:gossip: If people are concerned, they should offer a little bit extra to cover the "better" handling....

Great.. I just won a slab off eBay for $25 with free shipping.. You guys are making me nervous to think of what it's going to look like. Going coast to coast.

:gossip: If people are concerned, they should offer a little bit extra to cover the "better" handling....

(thumbs u

The slab I won earlier this week was going to be sent media mail. I requested an invoice for priority shipping.

The slab I won earlier this week was going to be sent media mail. I requested an invoice for priority shipping.

:cloud9:

I'm always afraid I'm gonna get one seller that takes it the wrong way after I win and get mad. I used to ask before, but oddly I never one the auction in the long run. So, I usually wait now and just make it out of the blue(80's reference) "You know, the Thanksgiving holiday is really gonna bog down the mail..."

Recently, I've begun to see eBay sellers using BCEMylar "Graded Comic Mailer" boxes to mail CGC slabbed books.

graded_comic_mailer.gif

LINK

These offer inadequate protection. Out of the two that I have received, one slab was severely cracked and the other had micro-cracks in the case.

Agree completely. (thumbs u I received a slab in one of these boxes, and was afraid to reuse the box to ship out a different slab.

You could pretty easily damage a slab packed in one of these boxes just using your bare hands, so common sense says it's not a packing method built to consistently withstand USPS wear and tear. I'm sure it works 'sometimes', but why take chances?