• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inadequate packaging = cracked CGC slab... A case study

79 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a CGC-graded comic online, and when it arrived the CGC case was cracked. Has this ever happened to you?

As I see it, the problem was the way it was packaged. The seller put a thin layer of cardboard around the CGC case, and wrapped it in packaging paper. None of this was my request -- I did not know he would send it this way, and I would have been fine with a more costly method of shipping.

Here's the way it was packaged:

joepalooka-packaging.jpg

You can't see it in the photo, but the slab is cracked up the lower backside, in several spots on the bottom, and a little but up the lower frontside.

I wrote to the seller and very politely told him the situation. I did not make a request for a discount or anything, but I did mention that as a result of the packaging, I would need to send the slab into CGC to have it re-holdered. He responded:

"Sorry to hear about the book, you can send it back for a refund if you like."

I then said that was beside the point, since my concern was with the packaging and the CGC slab, not the actual comic (which I am happy with). He then wrote:

"I have sent out probably 100 CGC books this past year packaged the same way yours was and have not received another complaint about my packing methods. If you are upset about the Post Office treating your package with disregard, I'm sorry." (He also offered to refund the $11 for re-holdering the CGC slab, which seems quite reasonable. But the part about putting all blame on the post office is.....questionable.)

I'm just curious -- what do you all think of this packaging method? Adequate? The seller thinks so, but me and my cracked CGC case disagree.

Also, and more importantly: What is the best low-cost method to package and ship a CGC slab? What are the best materials, and where is the best place to get inexpensive materials to do such? (If there is another thread that has all this information, linking there would be cool too, but I'm curious to hear a variety of responses and methods.)

"I have sent out probably 100 CGC books this past year packaged the same way yours was and have not received another complaint about my packing methods. If you are upset about the Post Office treating your package with disregard, I'm sorry."

lol

It used to seem like every time some ebay m0r0n would send me some under-packed CGC, this was their exact excuse.

My favorite one was the clown who duct taped 2 CGC cases together (taking the duct tape off left residue all over the cases) and then mailed them in a manila envelope. He told me that he had mailed 100s of CGCs just like that and many people had complimented him on his packing technique (he had a feedback of about 10, all purchases).

Personally, I try to mail CGCs in a short/long priority box combo. You wrap the CGC in bubble wrap and then place it in the short box. The short box then goes into the long box and you put peanuts at both ends to create space. Damage to cases is usually to the corners.

Dooh,

I believe that the seller's packing job was quite lame and unacceptable IMO. Now granted, it doesn't matter how many packages the seller has sent that way..if one gets busted (which was yours), he should make any and all attempts to rectify your situation (which he sorta did) and prevent said problems in the future.

When I ship books, they're wrapped several times with bubble wrap and put in a box. I'll fill in the gaps with either newspaper/paper grocery bags or packing peanuts. It's just to make sure the book doesn't shift around during shipping. I probably overkill the packaging but haven't lost one yet!

Cheap place would be Walmart IMO or Sams or something like that...USPS offers free boxes if you ship Priority but insurance is a little higher than Fedex. Probably a wash at the end of the day...

dB

Personally, I try to mail CGCs in a short/long priority box combo. You wrap the CGC in bubble wrap and then place it in the short box. The short box then goes into the long box and you put peanuts at both ends to create space. Damage to cases is usually to the corners.

That's how I've done it too -- the slab is padded/nestled diagonally into a short box, then the short box goes in a slightly larger Flat Rate box with a bit more padding (plastic bags, foam peanuts, whatever's on hand) to fill the remaining space.

And sorry for the damaged slab, that is a bummer. You can just look at the guy's packing materials and know it's going to be a krap shoot whether the slab makes it through the mail OK or not. Not smart...

I usually ship slabs in the CGC boxes that I get with the bubble wrap, etc. I also have used Scotch bubble wrappers that I buy at Target. One slab fits nicely in one of them and then they can be placed in boxes with peanuts, newspaper, bubble wrap, etc. They are also good for storing slabs so they don't get scratched.

Graded books should be double boxed
I don't worry about it on the receiving end, since I usually crack everything out anyway. ;)

Agreed. Lame and unacceptable. When a book arrived damaged (about 1 in 10 times), I will usually leave neutral feedback recommending that they package more carefully. The only way they seem to pay attention or learn is if you mess with their feedback.

Two of the last three books that I purchased on the boards arrived with cracked slabs.

CGC slabs need lots of bubble wrap around the edges and fit snugly into the priority box. Then a second slightly larger box ( box 1095 -order from the website they don't have them on hand anymore) to place the standard box in with lots of newpaper to keep the smaller box from shifting around.

I've never had a slab cracked with bubble wrap and double boxing.