• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inadequate packaging = cracked CGC slab... A case study

79 posts in this topic

Recently, I've begun to see eBay sellers using BCEMylar "Graded Comic Mailer" boxes to mail CGC slabbed books.

graded_comic_mailer.gif

LINK

These offer inadequate protection. Out of the two that I have received, one slab was severely cracked and the other had micro-cracks in the case.

Agree completely. (thumbs u I received a slab in one of these boxes, and was afraid to reuse the box to ship out a different slab.

You could pretty easily damage a slab packed in one of these boxes just using your bare hands, so common sense says it's not a packing method built to consistently withstand USPS wear and tear. I'm sure it works 'sometimes', but why take chances?

I too received a slab in one of these. I was surprised that my seller elected to use this box. It is woefully inadequate.

I don't mean to add salt to your wound but did you request it to be shipped in a box and packed a certain way? ....don't you think that $4 for shipping is just too cheap for a properly packaged CGC book?

Yes, I thought the shipping charge was strangely low, but I wasn't sure if that was because of how the seller planned to ship or if it was just low as an incentive to bidders (the same way "free shipping" is). Nonetheless I did send a message stressing that my main concern was safe packaging, and I wanted the item to be well-reinforced/padded.

You can usually buy decent sized boxes for about $1-$1.50 a box from a cardboard manufacturer.

I know it sucks to pay the $1-$1.50 per box (plus packaging materials) but it saves a lot of time and effort.

Short of freebie boxes I don't know of any other alternative.

Canadapost does have a box little smaller in 2 dimensions than the USPS Box 1095, but I think they charge something ridiculous like $5+ per box. I'll check it out today when I visit the post office.

Yep. $5.99 per at the post office. However, they told me you CAN get them free on-line through Ebay for certain. I will have to look into that...

You can usually buy decent sized boxes for about $1-$1.50 a box from a cardboard manufacturer.

I know it sucks to pay the $1-$1.50 per box (plus packaging materials) but it saves a lot of time and effort.

Canadapost does have a box little smaller in 2 dimensions than the USPS Box 1095, but I think they charge something ridiculous like $5+ per box. I'll check it out today when I visit the post office.

Yep. $5.99 per at the post office. However, they told me you CAN get them free on-line through Ebay for certain. I will have to look into that...

You can get FREE BOXES from the USPS. Order the1092 and 1095 boxes. The 1092 fits perfectly in the 1095. One CGC slab weighs in at just under 2 pounds. Free boxes, GREAT protection, and economical shipping!

You can get FREE BOXES from the USPS. Order the1092 and 1095 boxes. The 1092 fits perfectly in the 1095. One CGC slab weighs in at just under 2 pounds. Free boxes, GREAT protection, and economical shipping!

Some of us are not in the US.

:gossip:

But you could still get boxes for free. Doesn't 'free' make you want the boxes? Does it help that they come in handsome red, white and blue color scheme, with a stylized eagle's head logo? Still no?

move

move

If you do, I think you'll find New Hamphire the most Canada-like. Great-friendly people, cold climate, different language(no one can understand my New England accent) and top notch LCS's in the region. (thumbs u

move

If you do, I think you'll find New Hamphire the most Canada-like. Great-friendly people, cold climate, different language(no one can understand my New England accent) and top notch LCS's in the region. (thumbs u

hm

This sounds like a broken record...

But it's a legitimate concern. Twice now I've gotten broken slabs. The first time was the seller's fault for shipping in a padded envelope (after which, I too began asking about shipping packaging on eBay), but the second time was quite clearly the Post Office's fault. I'd post a picture of the box, but the picture clearly shows the seller's name and address on it and that just wouldn't be nice. It literally looked like they ran the package over. The comic was boxed and bubble wrapped with pretty tough bubble wrap. It was just unacceptable handling of the package.

Personally, I get this bubble wrap from where I work for free (they used to just throw it away) that is quite tough. I've seen a man jump on it and not pop it, so we then ran it over with a large forklift truck. Still didn't pop. I'm yet to get a complaint about damage to a package I've shipped using it. :wishluck: Wish I could get more of it, though. I have to hoard it because I never know when I'll get more.

This sounds like a broken record...

But it's a legitimate concern. Twice now I've gotten broken slabs. The first time was the seller's fault for shipping in a padded envelope (after which, I too began asking about shipping packaging on eBay), but the second time was quite clearly the Post Office's fault. I'd post a picture of the box, but the picture clearly shows the seller's name and address on it and that just wouldn't be nice. It literally looked like they ran the package over. The comic was boxed and bubble wrapped with pretty tough bubble wrap. It was just unacceptable handling of the package.

Personally, I get this bubble wrap from where I work for free (they used to just throw it away) that is quite tough. I've seen a man jump on it and not pop it, so we then ran it over with a large forklift truck. Still didn't pop. I'm yet to get a complaint about damage to a package I've shipped using it. :wishluck: Wish I could get more of it, though. I have to hoard it because I never know when I'll get more.

I received a CGC book in a padded envelope once and, of course, the case was cracked. I turned over the envelope and noticed the rubber marks left by a boot tread. The envelope said "DO NOT THROW" on it. I'm guessing one of the postal employees said "OK" and then stepped on it!

I also have gotten cracked slabs and from some pretty big names on Ebay.

When I ship slabs from my Ebay store they go out like this.

Each slab gets double mylar.

Then each slab gets 2 complete wraps in small bubble followed by 2 full wraps in large bubble.

This is then planked with rigid cardboard front and back that is extended one full inch beyond the slab edges.

That entire package is then boxed with additional bubble to make a snug fit and then boxed again with packing peanuts surrounding the inner box.

So far everyone seems to love my packaging :).

Great.. I just won a slab off eBay for $25 with free shipping.. You guys are making me nervous to think of what it's going to look like. Going coast to coast.

Here comes the manilla envelope :baiting:

Got this book today. Manila bubble mailer with poster board on each side of the slab.

Luckly no cracks.. It was media mail also.. Got here pretty quick.

But to be on the safe side I will take everyone's suggestions and communicate with the seller about how they are going to pack the slab.

I write "Please dent, crush and kick as hard as you can". Usually works.

:signfunny: Reverse psychology at it's best...

And keeps the pressing biz viable :banana: