• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 8.0 anyone?

24 posts in this topic

Big jump, Murph! $12,000 vs potential $25K to $30K dependent on whether a REAL or "gift" 9.0 .

And for that matter, if you're going to AUCTION a VF AF15, how about at least a clear, focused, bright, COMIC-SCALE-SIZED IMAGE??? Be nice to have some kind of idea on what the book looks like. You can only tell so much from miscropped, postage stamp sized images.

Most of the AF15s I've sold have gone in the $10K range. That seems to be the upper limit of affordability for the average comic collector if he's hell bent on owning one and a seller is willing to take time payments. If not for the time payments, the average Ebayer (maybe 98% of all Ebay comic hobbyists) could NOT afford to come up with the scratch. At a rate of $1K per month, it's do-able for most that want one. Once you step up into the $25,000 range, you're in progressively rarified atmosphere and have eliminated all but 1 to 2% from accessibility.

I'll never understand why people don't SUPER SIZE pictures in their auctions.

No doubt, and frankly, ebay's "Super Size" is more like regular fries. Like Hammer said, you need at least a "comic book sized" scan to have any idea what the book looks like. Ebay's super size might show some defects on a G, VG, or even Fine book, but they're not big enough to distinguish between a 9.0/9.2/9.4, etc.,. Aren't they something like $0.75 per auction? For less than $5 a month, you can get more webspace than you would need to run 50-60 auctions simultaneously, with HUGE scans. Oh well, they make it easy, and that makes it sucessful I guess??

The SCAN sells the book. The more detail available, the better. As a seller you want BOTH the positives AND negatives to show and should use the description to call attention to these attributes in the image. Negative attributes are just as important to be seen in an auction, as Positive. Grading is a DEDUCTIVE skill, not Additive. Every book starts out flawless, and the amount and severity of each flaw deducts cumulative points from what started out, theoretically, unflawed. When the parcel is opened by the buyer, you want the book to be represented accurately or the only one enriched by the transaction is PayPal and/or the Post office, for a round trip, back to the seller. I've found auctionwatch to be the best hosting company. I can store an UNLIMITED amount of scans there and pay one charge of $12.95 monthly and using their site is fool-proof. Fast and easy. Mostly, I store my scans there at a size of 200KB. This seems to yield the best results on Ebay and produces an image of approx. 1.5 times comic scale.

I completely agree with you and Mister Comics.. that is why I *always* ask for a front cover and back cover scan (esp if CGC cuz I will have to pay through my nose). If they don't meet my request, I delete them off my watching list.