• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COMICS for CANCER 2011 Charitable Auction Announcement

25 posts in this topic

See the artwork below! All proceeds will be donated to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

At this year's Boston Comic Con, some of you might have seen or spoken to my wife and sister-in-law, or me, passing around fliers or soliciting for contributions for Comics for Cancer. I originally had anticipated an end-of-October launch, but as that time came, it just did not feel right (you will soon see why).

The flier consisted primarily of 2 parts: a story of why I was bothering the exhibitor and an aspiration to start something new in the memory of my mother.

Briefly, in the early part of the winter of '09, my mother was diagnosed with stage 3-C colon cancer. By August of 2010, the cancer had spread from her colon to her lungs, and then to her brain and bones. She was able to see her youngest child (me) get married on August 28th. Shortly thereafter, the cancer spiraled out of control and she passed away on October 27, 2010.

My mom was something else! I would get packages of comics in the mail and I wish you could have seen her face when the book came dinged up or not as I was hoping - you could almost feel her anguish! My mother and father took me to the first NYCC. At that con, and ever since then, she always questioned why I did not collect the original artwork as I "could always buy the comics - look at how many there are here!" I am still looking for that Black Panther page that she wanted me to buy and I was too stubborn to get...

That being said, I thought I would attempt to collect and sell for charity sketches and/or original artwork. This year has been my first attempt at doing so.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend any other shows besides Boston this year. I want to thank, with all my heart, everyone that contributed and gave their support to this cause.

I am planning on listing these on Ebay on December 4th, but I would always listen to anyone's opinion here.

I want to give a special thank you to Jon Hughes who actually told me about this website and the resource that it could be. For that, and for your support in all of this, I thank you!

For the more technical stuff: I am NOT a 501©(3) corporation and any donation given cannot be claimed as a donation on your taxes. I am in the process of doing so, however (I participated in my law school's not for profit business clinic to learn more about filing). Additionally, I have provided all of the blanks and comic materials. I will also donate $10 if, for some reason, an item does not sell. Additionally, I will pay for all paypal fees that are generated - the final amount will be the donated amount.

Now for the art!