• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BAFFLED!!!

15 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So, I am writing this as I am curious to find out what the heck is going on!

I set-up at the Fan Expo in Toronto and was trying to "dump" a lot of my comics from the "speculation days"; 1988-1992. I left the hobby in 1992 and didn't return until I joined here in '05.

Anyhow... I have multiples upon multiples of all the books that came out between 85 and 92... some 50+ copies of certain issues. I was selling at the show for 50% off of the already low prices on the books. ALL are in great shape... most were never even opened. They were bought, put in a bag and board and have been sitting in wait at parents' place for decades!

One such title is the original Predator series. i had a few requests and sold a few copies. Again, great looking copies and I had them @ $5.00 with 50% off... do the math! Well, between that show and the Montreal show, I was doing a little research on pricing and noticed that there was a graded Predator #1 at auction that I believe was one of our own who was selling it. The final price was $125!!! :o I was rather shocked... Congrats to the seller (thumbs u

So, it got me to thinking; what are the top 20 books from that era to have slabbed? Obviously they would need to be 9.8's. I ask because I found it bizarre that someone (more than one obviously) was willing to pay that for the book! Is it strictly a label chasing thing? Because let me tell you, I had about 10 (minimum) sitting in the bins that were EASY candidates, and didn't sell!

If it has been asked before, I apologize for being oblivious to the fact...

So, if you wish to participate, what would you consider the top 10 or 20 books from the CA to slab for selling purposes? I think it would be interesting to see what peoples thoughts and actual sales figures reflect.

Thanks in advance!

John :popcorn:

TMNT #1 and Albedo #2 off the top of my head. Comico Primer, some DHP with a 1st appearance of someone or other (shrug)

New Mutants 98 of course

I know he asked for the top 10 or 20, but I think it'd be more interesting to list books that are like the Predator #1. Books that you can find in the $5 or under box at shows, that sell for bigger money graded.

I don't think anyone is "BAFFLED" by TMNT #1 being valuable.

So I'll add G.I. Joe #93 as a book in this category. It gets overlooked by some dealers because the other issues near it are worthless, but to Joe collectors its a key (Snake-Eyes's face is revealed).

Here are a few in the same vein as the Predator...

DHP #24 - 1st Aliens

DHP #36 - 1st Aliens vs Predator

DHP Annual #1 - 1st Buffy the Vampire Slayer + Hellboy

Airboy #5 - Dave Stevens

Death Rattle #8 - 1st Xenozoic Tales

Xenozoic Tales #1

Megaton #3 - 1st Savage Dragon

Incredible Hulk #340 - classic Todd McFarlane cover

Iron Man #282 - 1st War Machine

Bone #1 - 1st Bone

John Byrnes NExt Men #21 - 1st color Hellboy

Batman: Vengance of Bane #1 - 1st Bane

Harbinger #1

Magnus #0

Magnus #12

Rai #3 and 4

Check what you have vs census and then GPA. You'll probably be surprised at what some of these can go for in 9.8

It's a select customer your looking for, but a lot of them are on this forum.

That list Aggiez put together is good start.

Howard the Duck #33 (1986 - Final Issue) sold for $150 in February of this year.

The only previous sale was in 2010 for $332!

There's also a thread around here discussing Copper Books with low census totals. Also a good place to look.

So I'll add G.I. Joe #93 as a book in this category. It gets overlooked by some dealers because the other issues near it are worthless, but to Joe collectors its a key (Snake-Eyes's face is revealed).

What does he look like?

Honestly? It was a let down in my opinion. They hyped it up for so long about how disfigured he was that I always pictured it much worse in my head.

Here is a scan of the page from #93 if you want to see Snake-Eyes face.

Snake-EyesFace.jpg

What does he look like?

Honestly? It was a let down in my opinion. They hyped it up for so long about how disfigured he was that I always pictured it much worse in my head.

Snake-EyesFace.jpg

Thanks for posting that!! Just today my friend and I were at work and being nostalgic and looking at the old GI Joe issues. I think I stopped collecting around issue 70 or so.

I always wondered if they showed his face or not. I was under the impression it was burned/melted. Didn't he get blasted in the face with an explosion in a helicopter or something? At least that's what I remember from the semi-origin issue they did with him and Storm Shadow (and Stalker too I believe).

I was also shocked at the price on issue #21. Is this because it's the first Storm Shadow (my first guess) or because it's a "silent" issue with no words?

What does he look like?

Snake-EyesFace.jpg

Thanks for posting that!! Just today my friend and I were at work and being nostalgic and looking at the old GI Joe issues. I think I stopped collecting around issue 70 or so.

I always wondered if they showed his face or not. I was under the impression it was burned/melted. Didn't he get blasted in the face with an explosion in a helicopter or something? At least that's what I remember from the semi-origin issue they did with him and Storm Shadow (and Stalker too I believe).

I was also shocked at the price on issue #21. Is this because it's the first Storm Shadow (my first guess) or because it's a "silent" issue with no words?

Mostly because it's the "silent" issue. But also because of Storm Shadow. (thumbs u