• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

sometimes i hear people talking about pressing a comic book .. what is that exactly and does it affect grade count as restoration and affect value of comic ????
it could increase the grade and it isn't restoration.

.... well, according to CGC at least. Then again, they do earn plenty of money from resubs so they're hardly impartial. (shrug)

Impartiality aside, pressing is not restoration.

Well, it is a process that restores a comic to a previous appearance. By the standards of me and some others, it is restoration but by the standards of CGC, yourself and some others, restoring a comic to a previous appearance isn't restoration.

You're a good buddy, Doc but I don't think I'll ever understand the reasoning behind not calling it resto.

sometimes i hear people talking about pressing a comic book .. what is that exactly and does it affect grade count as restoration and affect value of comic ????

.... well, according to CGC at least. Then again, they do earn plenty of money from resubs so they're hardly impartial. (shrug)

Well, it is a process that restores a comic to a previous appearance. By the standards of me and some others, it is restoration but by the standards of CGC, yourself and some others, restoring a comic to a previous appearance isn't restoration.

You're a good buddy, Doc but I don't think I'll ever understand the reasoning behind not calling it resto.

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

If you want to call pressing restoration, then that's fine. You were born that way, and I can accept you for the person you are. But now, you have my reasoning behind me not calling it restoration.

Can we at least call it fixification?

No, it's pressing.

If nobody sees the comic pressed does it make a sound?

It doesn't make a sound regardless. Well, sometimes there's a ca-ching when the handle is released for the first time.

Can we at least call it fixification?

No, it's pressing.

If nobody sees the comic pressed does it make a sound?

It doesn't make a sound regardless. Well, sometimes there's a ca-ching when the handle is released for the first time.

Or a scream when a 40 pound block of hot metal slams into your fingers.

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

If want to call pressing restoration, then that's fine. You were born that way, and I can accept you for the person you are. But now, you have my reasoning behind me not calling it restoration.

Fair enough, I could counter your post and I'm sure you could counter back again so I guess we'll always have to settle for agreeing to disagree on this one. :foryou:

If you want to call pressing restoration, then that's fine. You were born that way, and I can accept you for the person you are. But now, you have my reasoning behind me not calling it restoration.

Fair enough, I could counter your post and I'm sure you could counter back again so I guess we'll always have to settle for agreeing to disagree on this one. :foryou:

Limey wuss.

Limey wuss.

Books have been pressed for ages, putting your comic under a cold press with mass weight is a form of pressing and it has been done for years. We all know if all you "anti-pressers" have an action 1 with 5 pressable defects. That book will be pressed.

Garry wouldn't press it. Nick wouldn't press it. I probably wouldn't press it, but I would have to think about it. The number one reason I would get it pressed, if I did, would be so Joey could benefit from advertising he pressed an Action #1.

Limey wuss.

....and you love me for it. :baiting:

Garry wouldn't press it. Nick wouldn't press it. I probably wouldn't press it, but I would have to think about it. The number one reason I would get it pressed, if I did, would be so Joey could benefit from advertising he pressed an Action #1.

I actually bought a lot of books with the idea of saving them from being pressed. I figured, since my comic collection was a lifelong project, the books would be safe since I believed that pressing would die down at some point.

Now that I'm forced to sell my collection, it kinda makes that ideal that I had a complete waste of time.

So if they had an 8.0 A1, and they could press it to a 9.2 to the highest graded copy they wouldn't? That's like saying the sky isn't blue.

I actually bought a lot of books with the idea of saving them from being pressed. I figured, since my comic collection was a lifelong project, the books would be safe since I believed that pressing would die down at some point.

Now that I'm forced to sell my collection, it kinda makes that ideal that I had a complete waste of time.

I wouldn't say that. I would say it was a noble endeavor. :foryou:

Well, the sky isn't always blue.

...... And I honestly believe that I could resist the temptation to press a book even with that kind of money at stake. At what point does anyone give up on the things they believe in?

So if they had an 8.0 A1, and they could press it to a 9.2 to the highest graded copy they wouldn't? That's like saying the sky isn't blue.

And it sounds to me like you are making assumptions about people whom you know nothing about.

A noble endeavour that was a complete waste of time? :P

Not if you enjoyed it. If it is/was important to you, then it wasn't a waste of time.

Not if you enjoyed it. If it is/was important to you, then it wasn't a waste of time.

Damn, you do know how to say the right thing. :foryou: