• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pressing

361 posts in this topic

Garry wouldn't press it. Nick wouldn't press it. I probably wouldn't press it, but I would have to think about it. The number one reason I would get it pressed, if I did, would be so Joey could benefit from advertising he pressed an Action #1.
So if they had an 8.0 A1, and they could press it to a 9.2 to the highest graded copy they wouldn't? That's like saying the sky isn't blue.

And it sounds to me like you are making assumptions about people whom you know nothing about.

Only thing that will void my above statement is that money isn't an object to whoever owns the A1 in my hypothetical scenario. (thumbs u

Garry wouldn't press it. Nick wouldn't press it. I probably wouldn't press it, but I would have to think about it. The number one reason I would get it pressed, if I did, would be so Joey could benefit from advertising he pressed an Action #1.
So if they had an 8.0 A1, and they could press it to a 9.2 to the highest graded copy they wouldn't? That's like saying the sky isn't blue.

And it sounds to me like you are making assumptions about people whom you know nothing about.

Only thing that will void my above statement is that money isn't an object to whoever owns the A1 in my hypothetical scenario. (thumbs u

The only thing that would void my statement is if you admitted you were a nincompoop... Hypothetically speaking, of course.

The only thing that would void my statement is if you admitted you were a nincompoop... Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Sounds good, I;m a nincompoop

It is no secret I think pressing is a form of restoration. Hopefully it is no secret that I also think restoration comes in many "flavors" and some are supremely more acceptable (at least to me) than others. It is why I tend to dislike the word "restoration". it is akin to people having the same fear of "surgery" to relieve something like trigger finger, which can be done with a local anesthetic as they do for something like open heart surgery.

One common thought, though, is that fibers are not broken if a cover crease is NCB (not color breaking). In fact the fibers can be broken or weakened internally without affecting the cover inks. Pressing that out may or may not help rebond the fibers. Jury is out on that one. If the fibers are not rebonded the look can be fine but a weaker area can exist. White covers are more problematic as the white on a cover is not white ink. It is the natural whiteness of the cover stock, The counterpart there of a color breaking crease would be a crease that breaks the "gloss". The gloss is not something applied to the cover but is an inherent part of the cover stock manufacturing process.

One other thing, and I hate to say this but it is true, is that some people avoid books known to be pressed and seek apparently lower grade unpressed books that can have pressed to a higher grade. Because once a book is properly pressed, well, further pressing will not increase the apparent grade.

Just some stray ramblings on pressing.

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

Have you "restored" the comic at the bottom of the stack?

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

Take 40 comics. Stack on top of a comic with non color breaking creases. Leave for 5 years.

If you answer no, pressing is not restoration. If you answer yes, you're a d-bag who needs to get a life.

If you really believe stacking 40 comics on top of a book with NCB, without benefit of additional humidifaction and heat, will PERMANENTLY remove a NCB, and it will not reappear over time, you have some things to learn.

As far as the final thought you posted, I will simply ignore it beyond saying I will ignore it.

By that rationale, aren't the Church books "restored."

Again, heat and humidity are essential to a proper pressing. Not just pressure. The Church books were more PRESERVED in their original state from the stacking and lack of handling. Many of the books with superb PQ benefited from the climate they were stored in. But some of that was from the elimination of the air, with associated airborne chemicals etc. from getting to the books. That is why the PQ is so high, and why the PQ on the books lower down the stacks was even higher.

My opinion is that if a book has no damage to begin with and is stacked the way the Church books were, that stacking contributes to PRESERVING their original condition. Not modifying a theoretical condition.

And speaking of theoretical conditions, can you tell me what condition the Church books were in BEFORE he stacked them?

Again, preserving an existing condition is not the same as reverting to a previous condition. And reverting to a previous condition is restoration. It may be quite benign restoration but it is restoration.

Put one hand under a stack of forty comics and the other hand in a proper press with some heat and moisture and compare the feeling. I know which one I'd rather risk my hand with.

In before the people screaming about pressing threads - I still say it should be a sticky topic, because lots of N00bs, including myself, hear about it on the boards before we really know what it is and have questions. A sticky topic would avoid a new thread every other month about it!

I understand what you are saying, but the topic shouldn't be stickied.

A simple search will return dozens of threads about pressing.

And they'll get a thousand hits of people already familiar with it ranting, raving and snarlking.

I think a detailed, "Pressing, What is it?" sticky that provides factual information would be a good idea.

By that rationale, aren't the Church books "restored."

Again, heat and humidity are essential to a proper pressing. Not just pressure. The Church books were more PRESERVED in their original state from the stacking and lack of handling. Many of the books with superb PQ benefited from the climate they were stored in. But some of that was from the elimination of the air, with associated airborne chemicals etc. from getting to the books. That is why the PQ is so high, and why the PQ on the books lower down the stacks was even higher.

My opinion is that if a book has no damage to begin with and is stacked the way the Church books were, that stacking contributes to PRESERVING their original condition. Not modifying a theoretical condition.

And speaking of theoretical conditions, can you tell me what condition the Church books were in BEFORE he stacked them?

Again, preserving an existing condition is not the same as reverting to a previous condition. And reverting to a previous condition is restoration. It may be quite benign restoration but it is restoration.

Agree 100% :applause:

sometimes i hear people talking about pressing a comic book .. what is that exactly and does it affect grade count as restoration and affect value of comic ????
it could increase the grade and it isn't restoration.

.... well, according to CGC at least. Then again, they do earn plenty of money from resubs so they're hardly impartial. (shrug)

Impartiality aside, pressing is not restoration.

Can we at least call it fixification?

No, it's pressing.

If nobody sees the comic pressed does it make a sound?

It doesn't make a sound regardless. Well, sometimes there's a ca-ching when the handle is released for the first time.

You sure that "ca-ching" isn't from a cash register somewhere? hm

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

You best describe, for me, why the whole phenomenon is a sham.

Both Pressers and Graders are assessing non-damaged paper-states. Pressers discern, Graders only deduct.

In an ideal system Graders could also discern what is actual and permanent damage, to the benefit of consumers. Giving their paying clients a more factual, accurate and reality-based assessment, applying the same level of expertise Pressers bring to bare.

Defect noun - an imperfection that impairs worth or utility.

Sham noun - A thing that is not what it is purported to be.

You have these bends, dents, creases or whatever you want to call them. The paper isn't broken. There isn't a separation of fibers. Through the addition of heat, some moisture and pressure, these fibers are realigned. They aren't added back to the book. They were always there. It's the same thing that can happen with tightly stored books in a warm environment with the presence of humidity.

Both Pressers and Graders are assessing non-damaged paper-states. Pressers discern, Graders only deduct.

In an ideal system Graders could also discern what is actual and permanent damage, to the benefit of consumers. Giving their paying clients a more factual, accurate and reality-based assessment, applying the same level of expertise Pressers bring to bare.

You are the very reason that even if I hated pressing with a passion rivaled by none I would still press every book I could lay my hands on.

You made a well reasoned argument, but I fail to see how it addresses what he said.