• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help a newbie?

13 posts in this topic

I own a couple thousand comic books, and have another thousand or so that I inherited from an uncle who owned a book store. I know I have some gems, but I don't know how many. There a couple that I definitely know I want to send to the CGC for official grading and protection.

I'd love to get some recommendations from people here on how to proceed. I've looked at the process of submitting a comic book to the CGC, and have determined that my options are as follows:

1) Drive quite a distance to a member dealer to do the process through them.

2) Pick an online resource to work through.

3) Pay money to become a CGC member.

Do I have this right? What advice would you have for me to proceed?

Unless you know (and trust) the local dealer, I'd never submit my books that way - so much easier to just use one of the online retailers (where you just submit through their website, but are responsible for sending the books off to CGC yourself) or signing up for the collectors society & subbing through that site.

It's really not that hard (or expensive) to set-up an account and submit your own books.

I'd suggest that you do some reading here on the boards on how to pack your books for shipping to CGC; read up on the pre-screening service if you're submitting a lot and want a particular grade; and be patient after you submit them.

I've submitted books 4 times now and kind enjoy doing it all myself and having the ability to watch the on-line status to see what step they are in.

I've submitted books 4 times now and kind enjoy doing it all myself and having the ability to watch the on-line status to see what step they are in.

couldn't agree more!

just hang out here, on the selling forums, and other discussion threads in the era that you are looking to get graded and just absorb the info. you'll be amazed with how much this community can enlighten the new or aged collector!

buy the latest edition of Overstreet's Grading Guide and a Overstreet Price Guide and you should be all set...

make sure when you end up submitting your first batch you write down the defects you spotted and your estimated grade. try to think of it as an exam, show your work - identify the defect that you think brings the book down to your assigned grade. this way, whatever the grade is, you benefited from the submission as you learned about your skill level re: grading and grading in general. just my 2c

the first thing is to find out what you have, and an overstreet price guide can help u with that, and if you dont already have the books in bags and boards and you wish to protect them then go to your local comic shop and pick some up, or order some online.

if you have some books you just have to get graded right away and dont wanna check em out first that is your right, the first time i sent submissions in i went thru wizard to send them in and got a discount and mailed them dircet to CGC.

one thing you need to consider is the age and value of the book, because that will determine how much it is to grade each book. but remember to the casual observer a a fn/vf book might look like a nm/mt book. so you mite consider scanning the books on here under the please grade my book link.

just a few things you might think about.

Just remember that you do NOT have to sign up/pay for anything (no membership, nothing) to send books into CGC.

Remember that you do NOT have to have your books sent in by an "authorized dealer", you can send your books to CGC directly by yourself, from your door to theirs.

Remember that you can still get a 10% discount for FREE, you do not have to be a member of anything (including these Boards) to get the 10% discount.

As a newbie myself, I found 2 amazing resources this year that were worth paying to join.

#1) CGC: Just sign up, read the instructions carefully and you can submit yourself - you also get a small discount, but it sounds like you have alot of books, so in the long run, should add up! And be patient.... it can take a while for your books to get graded and ship home...

#2) Comicpriceguide.com - it's cheap, easy to use and you can organize and catalog your books - not too mention review the pricing... There are alot of other softwares, (or even just an excel spreadsheet) - but this one is pretty nice.

Anyways, hope that helps! Good luck!