• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questionable Asking Prices...

45 posts in this topic

There was a thread earlier with a similar topic, but it got derailed and shut down. Figured I'd start it up again with an eye toward staying on-topic.

The intention of the thread isn't to tell anybody they can't ask any price they like for anything they're selling. If you want to pick up the tissue Scarlett Johanssen just blew her nose in and sell it on eBay for $3,000, that's your business (note: this actually happened and proceeds went to charity). Sellers can "shoot for the moon" all they like as long as they're not misleading buyers with false information. And buyers are not always 100% off the hook -- caveat emptor and all that.

Nonetheless, I find it entertaining to point out some of the more outlandish selling prices that show up at times. So without further ado, I am hoping this thread inspires some good examples and discussion...

Here's the eBay listing that made me think to restart this topic:

superman72oversale.jpg

From the listing:

"KNOW A SUPERMAN FAN WHO'S TURNED 60? THIS PACKAGE MAKES A VERY SPECIAL AND UNIQUE BIRTHDAY, HOLIDAY GIFT!

ORIGINAL SUPERMAN COMIC BOOK IS 60 YRS OLD AND WAS ON THE NEWSSTANDS SEPTEMBER 1951. A RARE FIND, THIS GOLDEN-AGE COMIC EARNED A CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE OF VF, 7.5, AUTHENTICATED BY METROPOLIS COMICS IN NY.

AUTOGRAPHED NOEL NEILL ("LOIS LANE") COLOR PHOTO WITH GEORGE REEVES ('SUPERMAN") IS PART OF THIS PACKAGE. CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY FROM HERBERT F. MCCAULLA INCLUDED.

SPECIAL BONUS: A BOXED SET OF DVDs FROM THE FIRST SEASON OF "THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN" WHICH AIRED IN 1952. THESE 26 EPISODES FEATURE , AMONG OTHERS, "THE BIRTHDAY LETTER," (HOW APPROPRIATE!) WHERE THE YOUNG ACTRESS, ISA ASHDOWN, READS THIS COMIC BOOK ON-SCREEN. PHOTO OF HER AND THIS COMIC BOOK IS INCLUDED.

THIS COMIC BOOK WILL GROW IN SENTIMENT AND VALUE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. IT'S A VERY SPECIAL SUPERMAN PACKAGE -- FOR YOUR VERY SPECIAL LOVED ONE.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, ALL!"

Yay, all caps...

The pricing on this is really out there. A CGC 9.0 copy of this sells in the $1,500 to $1,750 range. This is a CGC 7.5 copy and the seller is asking nearly 3X that. The DVD couldn't be worth much more than $10 in resale. The autographed photo might be worth $50 or something.

Questionable aspects of the text: (1) That giving a 60-year-old a comic because it's also 60 years old is a great gift idea -- it's probably the opposite of what a 60-year-old has a use for unless he's already a collector; (2) That this is a "rare find" compared to any other comic of the time period; (3) That a CGC 7.5 was "authenticated by Metropolis Comics"; (4) That the comic will "grow in sentiment" -- what does that even mean?; (5) That the comic will "grow in value" past the $4,400 cost.

The seller might as well have led off with, "COULD YOU BE THE SUCKER I AM LOOKING FOR?" For some reason $4,000 is the magic number recently -- last time I posted it was a seller trying to get $4,000 for a Namora #1 that looked like a GD/VG copy at best.

I know "people" say that "people" can ask whatever they want, just don't buy it if you don't want it etc, etc... but it is fun to see what people think they can get for some books.

Here's my favorite currently on E-Bay (GI Joe related of course)...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-JOE-OPERATION-HISS-1-CGC-SS-9-8-HERB-TRIMPE-/250929734543?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a6c93e38f

This book serious can be found in any $1 box across the world and although Herb rocks his signature isn't rare by any means... The CGC case is seriously worth more! But hey this week it is 35% off!!!!!!!

With comic books..I usually do some research to see how much the items sell for before listing..not the crazy crack addled prices some people want or the old "I have never seen one so it must be incredibly rare grading technique" but the actual prices books in like condition have sold for.

But with other items that I am not sure of..sometimes I have put in a wack BIN and then found out later I could have gotten much much more.

I listed a $2 yardsale doll I did about $8 worth of restoration on with a $375.00 BIN and when I went to check the listing view it was gone. I got payment within 25 minutes of posting along with a lovely email telling me how happy she was I was willing to let one of them go so cheaply.

Another complete mystery item..a metal figure..sold within a day BIN for $99 ..I had gotten it in an auction "flat lot" that I paid $2 for (because I really wanted model kits on the flat)..The person who bought it said "You really don't know what you have do you?" When I told him I had no idea he said he did not want to shoot himself in the foot because he really loved and collected them and wanted it. I explained I would honor the auction sale no matter what he told me but I was just curious as all get out

He reluctantly told me it was an incredibly rare 18th century figure and and the last one he had purchased in worse condition than mine he had paid $1200 for.

But he was happy I was stand up about sticking to the BIN price and not try to needle him for more.

You just never know what someone is willing to pay..I have had books go waaay over guide because 2 bidders were determined to get it..in one case the book went $400 over guide mint price and it was not mint..

But I just don't like it when the seller taints the truth trying to get the unknowledgable buyer to bid on something highly over priced ..lying about it's scarcity or rarity.

I think a lot of news stories recently and all these "look what we found" type shows on reality TV fuel everyone with a comic book to think they are worth 2 million dollars.

I see single modern issue comics that have been mangled rolled and bent to pieces in showcases at Thrift stores and antique malls.."Yep it's Brigade #1 first issue nealy 20 years old an antique and we only want $20 for it..it's a number 1 and bound to only appreciate in value!"

I ran into a great stack of TPBs at a thrift store and picked out maybe 5 I wanted to try out..I sort of liked them and they were a quarter a piece so I went back the next day and figured I'd buy the rest. I got up to the counter where the manager informed me I must have been mistaken because they were $7 each. And flipped out when I explained I had bought them the prior day for 25 cents. But they were no where NEAR worth $7 each and the manager acted like I was trying to rip off the store by buying pricey treasured books on the cheap..

:screwy:

I listed a $2 yardsale doll I did about $8 worth of restoration on with a $375.00 BIN and when I went to check the listing view it was gone. I got payment within 25 minutes of posting along with a lovely email telling me how happy she was I was willing to let one of them go so cheaply.

Another complete mystery item..a metal figure..sold within a day BIN for $99 ..I had gotten it in an auction "flat lot" that I paid $2 for (because I really wanted model kits on the flat)..The person who bought it said "You really don't know what you have do you?" When I told him I had no idea he said he did not want to shoot himself in the foot because he really loved and collected them and wanted it. I explained I would honor the auction sale no matter what he told me but I was just curious as all get out

He reluctantly told me it was an incredibly rare 18th century figure and and the last one he had purchased in worse condition than mine he had paid $1200 for.

Great story!

The metal figure could have posed an ethical dilemma. Glad you honored your auction.

I know "people" say that "people" can ask whatever they want, just don't buy it if you don't want it etc, etc... but it is fun to see what people think they can get for some books.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-JOE-OPERATION-HISS-1-CGC-SS-9-8-HERB-TRIMPE-/250929734543?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a6c93e38f

This book serious can be found in any $1 box across the world and although Herb rocks his signature isn't rare by any means... The CGC case is seriously worth more! But hey this week it is 35% off!!!!!!!

Bringing up blackstarcomics in a thread such as this is cheating :makepoint:

Great story!

The metal figure could have posed an ethical dilemma. Glad you honored your auction.

Well it has happened a lot but usually when something sells for my shoot the moon buy it now in a short period of time or something goes waaay over the standard asking price..I always ask.

I used to buy a lot of auction flats and palettes..and you get all sorts of "junk" and "extras" that weren't exactly why you bid on the lot. And if an item isn't marked you have no idea really what it is sometimes!

But I really dislike all the new "storage wars and pickers and antique buying" shows. Where there used to be say 150 people poking around the caves bidding on palettes..now there are hundreds more every Thursday..not only do they drive up the prices on stuff that is not really that valuable..but it inflates the values of the items.

Sometimes there will be say a lot of a palette of comic book supplies say..backing boards and bags, maybe a few boxes of other collectibles storing bags like album sleeves in the lot. Used to be I could pick up a palette like that for less than $20. Now the lots like that sell for $100's.

In the past at auctions people would make fun of our purchase tables heaped sky high with "junk" and it was a general rule if you did not want some of the "junk" in your flat lot..you could "dump it off" on us. I would find things I sold for quite a bit of money and usually track down the person who dumped it on us and say "hey remember that Topaz necklace you put on my table I got $170 for it do you want a cut?" and they would just laugh and say no and marvel that I could get anything for stuff they were going to dumpsterize.

Now I have to weed my way through people packed so tightly in the auction barn and they STEAL stuff from our table. I caught a woman red handed stealing dolls off one of my flats at my table and she said "Oh well I bid on it because I wanted some of these adorable dolls for my granddaughter and figured you wouldn't miss the little ones sorry!" I said "Oh well I don't need all of these here take your pick" and offered her any of the not really valuable dollies in the flat. She said "Oh I wanted the little tiny ones in the jewelry so cute I know you paid $7 for the flat I'll give you $7 for them!"

Fat chance liar liar pants on fire ..She had to have known they were the most valuable of the lot..I made about $800 off those "adorable little dolls she thought I wouldn't know she stole"

Those babies paid my rent.

But all the "newbs" really spoil auctions and picking now. Everybody thinks thier junk is worth loads..and it is sometimes true.

But not always..

I just know the people who looted all our original art from after our fire (in our "drying area" where we were trying to save items) probably thought that the sketches would bring them a pretty penny..

jerks..the portrait that Rosa did of my kitty cat that died in the fire..probably went up for sale on craigslist for $300 or something..

but it was priceless to me..

The last looters we caught about 3 weeks ago..said "oh just looking to see what you had in your barn up there" As they stepped over the "no trespassing" sign on a fence with a huge "Do not enter" sign in front of it.

I am sure had they not seen us coming towards them in a few minutes I would have seen them trying to haul off something..

"we're pickers you know like the show"

ugh

yep and I have an extremely rare HTF copy of Xforce #1 new in the bag sealed with a special card..and I will sell it to you for just $500..it's a number one so it must be rare and it's in a plastic baggy that says "collectible"..so it must be worth a mint..I was going to use it to pay for my kid's college..but I'll make you an offer!!!

Bringing up blackstarcomics in a thread such as this is cheating :makepoint:

Anytime I think of insane starting prices, I think of them and that damn white pedestal. lol

It's hard to feel *too* bad when you spend $10 on something and make a $365 (minus fees) profit...

Another complete mystery item..a metal figure..sold within a day BIN for $99 ..I had gotten it in an auction "flat lot" that I paid $2 for (because I really wanted model kits on the flat)..The person who bought it said "You really don't know what you have do you?"

That's borderline jerky...

When I told him I had no idea he said he did not want to shoot himself in the foot because he really loved and collected them and wanted it. I explained I would honor the auction sale no matter what he told me but I was just curious as all get out

You should have said, "Oh sorry, I had a basement flood/fire/tornado/hailstorm/locust swarm/acne outbreak and it was ruined." (Not really but that's what a lot of people do. It was very upright of you to proceed with the sale and karmically you hopefully have been paid back in full already.)

Ouch -- but it goes to show, sometimes it's better to auction than to BIN, just in case.

I think a lot of news stories recently and all these "look what we found" type shows on reality TV fuel everyone with a comic book to think they are worth 2 million dollars.

Yep, it brings a lot of weirdness out, along with the usual hucksters.

I ran into a great stack of TPBs at a thrift store and picked out maybe 5 I wanted to try out..I sort of liked them and they were a quarter a piece so I went back the next day and figured I'd buy the rest. I got up to the counter where the manager informed me I must have been mistaken because they were $7 each. And flipped out when I explained I had bought them the prior day for 25 cents. But they were no where NEAR worth $7 each and the manager acted like I was trying to rip off the store by buying pricey treasured books on the cheap..

I hate when stores/sellers misprice things and then get jerky when you try to buy at the given price. A couple years ago at a flea market I found a cool vintage LP (probably worth about $50) and had already paid for it, and the seller walked up, grabbed it out of my hand, and gave me the $4 back because he suddenly realized it was mis-priced. When I asked what the price was supposed to be, he said, "It's not for sale." Oh....so that's why it was sitting out on your table with a price tag on it...