• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Kid #60 - the forgotten key?
2 2

147 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Redshade said:

So what is that Steve?

Very rare variant Stephen. Rare because only a complete wally would tear the bloody title off. 

That sounded a bit Michael Cainey didn't it :)

1 minute ago, mikeyc67 said:

Ha ha - its the holy grail of TGK's - nearly as rare as the handwritten issue number!

Now that version is rare.

Even though every single copy made ever has it.

13 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Very rare variant Stephen. Rare because only a complete wally would tear the bloody title off. 

That sounded a bit Michael Cainey didn't it :)

And only a complete wally would fail to see that!

I don't know how to enlarge images and my poor old peepers couldn't see what was going on.

And anyway the possessive noun takes an apostrophe so the blurb on the bottom left should read "America's". Yah boo to you Mr Editor (Stan?).

17 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Now that version is rare.

Even though every single copy made ever has it.

Can someone please explain this to me?  I just bought my copy (see above) and the issue number sure looks hand-written.  I mean, it's obviously not hand-written on the book post-printing, it's just (apparently) hand-written into the original art being replicated on all of these covers.  I have never seen a TGK #60 with any other kind of issue number.  What am I missing?  Are there really variants?

1 minute ago, Redshade said:

And only a complete wally would fail to see that!

I don't know how to enlarge images and my poor old peepers couldn't see what was going on.

And anyway the possessive noun takes an apostrophe so the blurb on the bottom left should read "America's". Yah boo to you Mr Editor (Stan?).

That's Matt Hawk's strange secret Stephen. He's rubbish at grammar. 

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can someone please explain this to me?  I just bought my copy (see above) and the issue number sure looks hand-written.  I mean, it's obviously not hand-written on the book post-printing, it's just (apparently) hand-written into the original art being replicated on all of these covers.  I have never seen a TGK #60 with any other kind of issue number.  What am I missing?  Are there really variants?

No. Every copy's 60 is the same, pence or cents. Probably an Overstreet Oversight that took hold. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

No. Every copy's 60 is the same, pence or cents. Probably an Overstreet Oversight that took hold. 

Thanks.  Even the CGC label plays it up:  "Copies exist with handwritten issue number."  It made me wonder.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks.  Even the CGC label plays it up:  "Copies exist with handwritten issue number."  

They do. It's all of them :bigsmile:

Just now, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

Hey that was my book :)

Enjoy! You got a great deal. I had a feeling it was going to a fellow boardie.

Thanks!  Appreciate you working with me. 

I obviously don't have it in hand yet, but it looks to be a really great copy.  There's pre-chipping along most of the right edge, but with a white cover it really doesn't detract from the overall appeal.  The whiteness of the cover is really astounding.

Just now, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks!  Appreciate you working with me. 

I obviously don't have it in hand yet, but it looks to be a really great copy.  There's pre-chipping along most of the right edge, but with a white cover it really doesn't detract from the overall appeal.  The whiteness of the cover is really astounding.

It really is a clean book. White pages is the icing on the cake :golfclap:

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:
15 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks.  Even the CGC label plays it up:  "Copies exist with handwritten issue number."  It made me wonder

Overstreet (and CGC) should really eliminate this separate listing/notation.

Overstreet even double lists issue 60 in the guide and makes the "handwritten" number edition worth even more than, I guess, a regular stamped number edition ($100 in price difference in NM- 9.2)

Unless Bigfoot or Loch Ness show up with their non-handwrtten copies of TGK60!

8 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Overstreet (and CGC) should really eliminate this separate listing/notation.

Overstreet even double lists issue 60 in the guide and makes the "handwritten" number edition worth even more than, I guess, a regular stamped number edition ($100 in price difference in NM- 9.2)

Unless Bigfoot or Loch Ness show up with their non-handwrtten copies of TGK60!

They should. I find Overstreet stuck in their ways and impossible to penetrate - I was referred to them by an existing advisor with a view to becoming one (to give a greater UK focus / upload all my variant work) and they didn't respond. Twice. CGC at least will listen so deserve some credit (e.g. changing their UK/Canadian/Australian Price Variant labelling approach). Some Overstreet errors seem to have taken on mythical status like the Esquire Magazine entry for the EYE Magazine only Spidey promo. There can't be a person left in all of comicdom who doesn't know that one doesn't exist and yet still they persist. 

This post might interest you Kids

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello :)

I was playing with the Kids this morning and it struck me how different looking the three 9d prices were on these here three consecutive copies:

892491589_Two-GunKid60November1962CopyB.thumb.jpg.b79bed73b8a24b481490982339834f39.jpg 1635488788_Two-GunKid61January1963.thumb.jpg.df17a14681ce20f97e561d7eddbed905.jpg 903469724_Two-GunKid62March1963.thumb.jpg.5dcf1f0fbc7f58fd4c28d0253afda4d5.jpg
                                Kid #60                                                                  Kid #61                                                              Kid #62

Here they are up close:

1319144469_Two-GunKid60November1962CopyB(2).jpg.98353f69b894d444c51e759ad6429502.jpg 188114848_Two-GunKid61January1963(2).jpg.a22363305f8334ab0025acefd4d57410.jpg 1847684424_Two-GunKid62March1963(2).jpg.fcffafd3bdbe7bef6f596cb26e7117b2.jpg

Not one of them the same hm

I've often mentioned across my threads whether some of these prices were printed or stamped after the production event. A lot of the Charlton UKPVs have prices that look hand applied when compared the the rest of the printed cover. The middle Kid above, #61, certainly looks like his price is hand applied doesn't it. It appears lighter in tone, slightly smudged and much less defined overall than the circle that surrounds it and also in comparison to those of the surrounding issues. It makes you wonder what was going on doesn't it. Maybe the price fell off of the plate and they discovered a whole run of priceless copies* at the end of the run. Maybe they had to apply the stamp by hand or some other mechanical device because of it. And I wonder why the inconsistency in fonts? 

There aren't too many examples about of these books to make a comparison but the placement on these two Charltons seem to move about a bit and, perhaps, is indicative of an after the printing event price addition:

222.jpg.a21304e7a87c042eb20bb825520d6014.jpg  223.jpg.3d06910e6a3d5786b7bafd8c4d0ae7b7.jpg

As ever, we may never care know. 

*All UKPVs are priceless of course