• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Kid #60 - the forgotten key?
2 2

147 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the story behind the hand written #?

The story, as far as I've been able to deduce from years of investigative research, is that the issue number looks hand written because it was originally written by hand.

But that is where the trail gets cold...

I've not been able to finger the culprit but I'm hoping that my research will eventually yield thumbone that we can nail for it.

This may be a very early example of computer enhancement, since the number was digitized.

Looks to me as though the entire masthead is hand-drawn rather than typeset, but I'd have to look at a copy in hand to be more sure one way or the other

Picked this up at Soda City Con in Columbia, SC this past weekend. Low grade but I'm happy to add it to my collection.

35aj2g6.jpg

Nice book, I would have bought it too!

Not only is this book the forgotten key, but with no posts since 2013 it is also the forgotten thread! Nice job of resurrecting it.

Picked this up at Soda City Con in Columbia, SC this past weekend. Low grade but I'm happy to add it to my collection.

35aj2g6.jpg

Nice book, I would have bought it too!

Not only is this book the forgotten key, but with no posts since 2013 it is also the forgotten thread! Nice job of resurrecting it.

Thanks! I've avoided the Marvel westerns until now but I couldn't resist this key. Looking through the issue, it reads exactly like any origin issue of any Lee/Kirby super-hero book but in a western setting.

For you guys that collect westerns, how do Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt Outlaw compare to Two-Gun? Did Lee/Kirby also do any of those or were they mostly drawn by Ayers and company?

Never noticed that. It does look like the masthead is hand drawn. Awesome book

All of the "60" in the masthead are hand written.

Overstreet notates that "handwritten issue number on cover" exists, and that a typeset version exists, but that is incorrect.

Overstreet even lists a slightly higher price spread for the book in its' "handwritten number" version, opposed to its' typeset version...which indicates that the handwritten /error edition would be scarcer than the typeset version.I've looked at every listing for this book that I could find via a Google search...from heritage, CC, CL and ebay listings...all of the listings, the "60" was hand written, not in typeset.

I tried to get a label update from CGC on this book, supplied ample supporting evidence, but my request was not replied to :(

FWIW, one would have to think that Stan Lee (as the editor of this book) would have written the "60", on each issue.