• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two-Gun Kid #60 - the forgotten key?
2 2

147 posts in this topic

Does anyone know the story behind the hand written #?

The story, as far as I've been able to deduce from years of investigative research, is that the issue number looks hand written because it was originally written by hand.

But that is where the trail gets cold...

lol

Picked this up at Soda City Con in Columbia, SC this past weekend. Low grade but I'm happy to add it to my collection.

35aj2g6.jpg

Nice book, I would have bought it too!

Not only is this book the forgotten key, but with no posts since 2013 it is also the forgotten thread! Nice job of resurrecting it.

Thanks! I've avoided the Marvel westerns until now but I couldn't resist this key. Looking through the issue, it reads exactly like any origin issue of any Lee/Kirby super-hero book but in a western setting.

For you guys that collect westerns, how do Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt Outlaw compare to Two-Gun? Did Lee/Kirby also do any of those or were they mostly drawn by Ayers and company?

Kirby mostly did covers on Kid Colt; he only did 5 5-page stories in the run. Kid Colt is the weakest of the 3 titles. It was probably the most formulaic, and Jack Keller's art in the latter part of the run was pretty hum-drum. I can usually find something to like in anybody's drawing, but his stuff just leaves me cold. It's very flat and often looks rushed. The best stories in those are often the filler stories, where you might get Don Heck, Ayers or the occasional Al Williamson.

The Kirby Rawhide Kids and Two-Gun Kids are decidedly the best and most like a SA Marvel superhero book. TGK has a lot of similarities with Daredevil. The later issues drawn by Ayers don't have the same punch, but they're a step up from KCO.

Don't forget to check out the anthology title Gunsmoke Western which featured all 3 Marvel western heroes, along with other miscellaneous stories with a fair amount drawn by Kirby.

Picked this up at Soda City Con in Columbia, SC this past weekend. Low grade but I'm happy to add it to my collection.

35aj2g6.jpg

Nice book, I would have bought it too!

Not only is this book the forgotten key, but with no posts since 2013 it is also the forgotten thread! Nice job of resurrecting it.

Thanks! I've avoided the Marvel westerns until now but I couldn't resist this key. Looking through the issue, it reads exactly like any origin issue of any Lee/Kirby super-hero book but in a western setting.

For you guys that collect westerns, how do Rawhide Kid and Kid Colt Outlaw compare to Two-Gun? Did Lee/Kirby also do any of those or were they mostly drawn by Ayers and company?

Kirby mostly did covers on Kid Colt; he only did 5 5-page stories in the run. Kid Colt is the weakest of the 3 titles. It was probably the most formulaic, and Jack Keller's art in the latter part of the run was pretty hum-drum. I can usually find something to like in anybody's drawing, but his stuff just leaves me cold. It's very flat and often looks rushed. The best stories in those are often the filler stories, where you might get Don Heck, Ayers or the occasional Al Williamson.

The Kirby Rawhide Kids and Two-Gun Kids are decidedly the best and most like a SA Marvel superhero book. TGK has a lot of similarities with Daredevil. The later issues drawn by Ayers don't have the same punch, but they're a step up from KCO.

Don't forget to check out the anthology title Gunsmoke Western which featured all 3 Marvel western heroes, along with other miscellaneous stories with a fair amount drawn by Kirby.

Big thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for posting those cool covers too.

Always wondered why this never gets attention as a significant Marvel Silver Age key - total reboot a la Rawhide Kid, Lee & Kirby origin story, scarce in grade...

No, I'm not pumping it up to sell a copy! Honest!

Just acquired a decent copy for myself after quite a few months of searching and this thought occurred to me. Is it because he was not only a second-stringer, but a Western second-stringer, or are people just not aware of the significance?

And has anyone ever seen a copy without the hand-written issue number? The hand-written version is supposed to be the scarcer variant, but it's the only version I ever come across!

Thoughts/no one cares? Wah.

Another possible theory about the handwritten 60....since it was many months between the 59 and 60 and given the fact that this was going to be a new series, perhaps Marvel wanted this to be a #1 issue, but realized that would have required getting new mailing permits and to spare the cost may have removed the #1 and continued the series with #60 instead and hastily hand wrote the #60.

Could be. But Marvel wasn't starting any number ones att that time, due to I think their limited monthly permitted distribution quota, which was like 8 to 10 books a month. The other westerns didn't restart their numbers with with every creative change.

25 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

Just picked this one up last week. A nice upgrade to my 4.0. 

twogunkid60.thumb.jpg.ef02971483e64be31ef682126ea2b124.jpg

two-gun kid60.jpg

Every copy I've ever seen has the handwritten issue number. Every...single...one.

Edited by The Lions Den
Edited response

On 9/11/2016 at 12:15 AM, Ameri said:

Another possible theory about the handwritten 60....since it was many months between the 59 and 60 and given the fact that this was going to be a new series, perhaps Marvel wanted this to be a #1 issue, but realized that would have required getting new mailing permits and to spare the cost may have removed the #1 and continued the series with #60 instead and hastily hand wrote the #60.

Could have been a stat that fell off - someone noticed it as the was about to be sent out for print and they quickly rectified the situation...