• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cheetah and His Everything Journal

1,085 posts in this topic

:applause: Pretty sweet start with a nine comic run from the Church collection.

Don't leave out the Central Valleys. They may be pretty obscure or unpopular titles but the quality of the books and the beautiful brightness of their pages is really spectacular!

+1 on the Central Valleys. Recently, I cracked one out of the slab and the freshness and page quality were astounding.

As a Black Cat collector myself I can't wait to see some of your books.

Thanks for this thread, it's a winner !

:applause:

:gossip: been waiting for this

Please share scanner you are using and any special settings as those are great scans

I use an HP Scanjet 7400. It is legal size but is not compatible with Windows 7 so I use Vuescan. It's a great piece of software that provides drivers for non-compatible scanners for Windows 7.

My settings are as follows:

Color

Black point 1%

White Point 1%

Curve low 0.25

Curve high 0.75

Brightness 0.88

Brightness Red 0.895

Brightness Green 0.0895

Brightness Blue 0.0895

Scanner color space - Built in

Printer color space - sRGB

Show IT8 outline - no

Output color space - Device RGB

View color - RGB

pixel colors - no

default options - no

All the rest are default settings.

I scan to 100% size as a jpeg file then reduce the jpeg to 50% using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. The original scan is about 4 MB in size and the reduced scan is 1.1 MB in size. I reduce the original scan to 19% in order to get a file that is uploadable to the registry.

The biggest problem I've had, besides thinking the blues are a bit too intense, is that the reduction in size results in some pixilation of the image. You can see it in the original vs reduced scan below.

Thrilling65-1.jpg

Thrilling65.jpg

I got started on the Black Cat run thanks to Bill/ciorac here on the boards. He had a very nice existing set and let if got in the sales forum for a decent price. I decided I really liked the perspective on the character and how different it was than anything else I collected. I've made pretty good progress with both Black Cat Comics and Black Cat Mystery (where the Cat takes a very long leave of absence). I'm still working hard to find decent copies of the later Black Cat Mystic books.

For those who don't know, Harvey, the publisher, had a huge number of file copies but these copies suffer pretty badly from poor page quality. I've found some structurally perfect books that were tan/off-white or worse.

Black Cat Comics 1

BlackCat01001.jpg

After the raucous acclaim to yesterday's posting, I am determined to continue with the woefully under appreciated Black Cat Comics. Fear not, tomorrow they will transition into Black Cat Mystery and all will be well. Till then, enjoy some books you might never see otherwise.

BlackCat15001.jpg