• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of The Maxx
3 3

464 posts in this topic

OK, couldn't find anything on the subject in the search.

What is the 1st appearance of The Maxx...and not Max the Hare in Primer #5. Sure, Sam Kieth's character but a completely different character.

I Before E #2 (1992) - did he appear in this one?

Darker Image #1 (3/1993)

The Maxx #1 (3/1993)

CGC doesn't recognize the first appearance and I've always wondered why.

Darker Image #1 (3/1993)

(thumbs u

Why?

They came out same time ( i remember maxx 1 coming out first ) , but the way the stories are told there is no way to tell which actually happened first.

I consider it a tie. And i think it was planned that way because in DI you get outback maxx and in maxx 1 you meet ally maxx.

Someone needs to ask Sam Kieth which book he drew first...

From what I can recall, Darker Image was created first (even though, according to Comic Vine, it and Maxx #1 were released on the same day), and Maxx was meant to be part of the Darker Image anthology. Lee and Liefeld couldn't keep up, so the idea of DI was scrapped and Maxx was given his own series.

But I am a bit tipsy, so that could be wrong.

Good luck with that. That definitely falls under Frequently Ignored Questions.

From what I can recall, Darker Image was created first (even though, according to Comic Vine, it and Maxx #1 were released on the same day), and Maxx was meant to be part of the Darker Image anthology. Lee and Liefeld couldn't keep up, so the idea of DI was scrapped and Maxx was given his own series.

If they came out the same day we then go to alphabetical!!!

DI..wins by FATALITY!!!

OK, couldn't find anything on the subject in the search.

Matrix glitch?

Good call, Charlie. I knew I remembered that info from somewhere:

A better question is why CGC doesnt note maxxs FA anywhere. Also fwiw there is a very maxx like character in I before E number 1 or 2

Darker Image #1 is the first appearance of the Maxx. In both character and spelling. No question. It contained a short preview of The Maxx #1 which (I think) came out the following month. Comico's Primer #5 is still a cool issue to own since it is probably Sam Kieths first professional work.

Here is a cool bit of info. Anthony met Bill Loebs and had a bunch of books SS'd for me. This is a quote from Anthony:

"I didn't know this but he told me the darker image was supposed to be an ongoing series but the fact that only he and Sam on Maxx hit the deadline, they canceled the series and gave them their own book."

DI..wins by FATALITY!!!

Lotta Mortal Kombat references lately, kemo sabi... lol

DI..wins by FATALITY!!!

Lotta Mortal Kombat references lately, kemo sabi... lol

As I grow older,

and into the twilight of my life,

I realize that everything I need to know I learned from Shang Tsung.

From Sam Kieth's blog

Just for fun here's some layouts from the first Darker Image story Maxx first appeared in.

hm Ultimate maxx book? :banana:

From Sam Kieth's blog

Just for fun here's some layouts from the first Darker Image story Maxx first appeared in.

hm Ultimate maxx book? :banana:

I saw that where he discusses artwork that is going to appear in a large release.

Very cool!