• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance of The Maxx
3 3

464 posts in this topic

I know I Before E says 92 in the OP, but I feel pretty certain that it came out well into the Maxx's run. Maybe I'm wrong. It happened once. Once.

Regardless, while I Before E may reprint Max the Hare, there is no Maxx content.

I just based the 1992 on this site...really have no idea when it was printed.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=d33c3768-a410-462d-bd5c-508c145cf662

Man, when's RMA get back? We need closure on this!

So posting a link to Sam Kieth's blog where he personally states the art he posted showing The Maxx's 1st appearance in Darker Image 1 didn't do it for you?

You're right. I can't wait for RMA to get back here and set Kieth straight.

doh!

So posting a link to Sam Kieth's blog where he personally states the art he posted showing The Maxx's 1st appearance in Darker Image 1 didn't do it for you?

doh!

Now we just need CGC to start recognizing Darker Image #1 as The Maxx's 1st appearance and add to the labels going forward!!

doh!

Now we just need CGC to start recognizing Darker Image #1 as The Maxx's 1st appearance and add to the labels going forward!!

I'll send this to Gemma via the Ask CGC forum, with the link to Kieth's blog.

I knew about this for the past few years from discussions with TJ/Lebowski and Charlie/Grails (at least before all the Primer 5/6 excitement (: ). Just never understood why CGC didn't note this.

I guess someone had to make $1,500 off a Primer 5 CGC 9.8 first. doh!

doh!

Breathe man! I was requesting better facts on the I Before E publication date. I have always known Darker Image 1 to be the first appearance of the Maxx (despite having numerous copies of Primer 5). You would be hard pressed to find someone more Kieth/Maxx obsessed.

And I can't really see that Primer 5 sale as being Maxx related. More that it's a heckuva book to find in 9.0, let alone 9.8. I think someone just wanted it way to badly (if it sold, I wasn't aware).

And who cares about the labels? It's still a quarter book when not Signature Series"ed"

Edited by JohnnyDeLicious

I'm breathing.

:insane:

And I can't really see that Primer 5 sale as being Maxx related. More that it's a heckuva book to find in 9.0, let alone 9.8. I think someone just wanted it way to badly (if it sold, I wasn't aware).

I'm sure it was a real sale. At least it went for much less than where it started ($8,000).

:o

That's when Doc Joe was going to purchase it, and RMA made a comment to him that was most probably not the best move. Talk about watching thousands of dollars just walk away.

:o:o

And who cares about the labels? It's still a quarter book when not Signature Series"ed"

It's more about others. When you are in the hobby not just for your own sake, but to help fellow collectors know and understand things about a character, it helps to guide them down the right path where their favorite character started out.

Additionally, setting the record straight will keep collectors from being duped. Otherwise, you have a market with certain sellers posting fake interviews with creators pushing books that didn't even tie into a 1st appearance or storyline. Even better if CGC is kind enough to help in the effort by correcting its label.

I do... :eyeroll:

It's more about others. When you are in the hobby not just for your own sake, but to help fellow collectors know and understand things about a character, it helps to guide them down the right path where their favorite character started out.

Additionally, setting the record straight will keep collectors from being duped. Otherwise, you have a market with certain sellers posting fake interviews with creators pushing books that didn't even tie into a 1st appearance or storyline. Even better if CGC is kind enough to help in the effort by correcting its label.

Fair enough. It just seems excessive to me on what I believed to be a nonissue, common knowledge situation, but like anything in this hobby, people tend to disagree on minutia, so a (semi) impartial third party's printed statement can't hurt (maybe?).

I'm breathing.

I'm sure it was a real sale. At least it went for much less than where it started ($8,000).

That's when Doc Joe was going to purchase it, and RMA made a comment to him that was most probably not the best move. Talk about watching thousands of dollars just walk away.

Excuse me (shrug)

Seen plenty of nonsense but most of its on Fox News, now I see it's here too

That's nonsense

I'm breathing.

Excuse me (shrug)

Seen plenty of nonsense but most of its on Fox News, now I see it's here too

That's nonsense

Sorry Joe. But you know that isn't true.

No offense meant. But a discussion had is a discussion had.

(shrug)

You are saying I was going to buy a copy of Maxx 1 for $8,000? Or Primer 5?

I can name all the comics I have paid 8k or higher for. I assure you Maxx 1 or Primer 5 are not ones that would even enter the radar. I might pay that for the OA cover.

I might pay a few hundred for a Sam Kieth sig series if it was the only one.

I guess I'm really not sure what this is all about and why I was brought into a discussion

Enjoy your Copper books gents

You are saying I was going to buy a copy of Maxx 1 for $8,000? Or Primer 5?

I can name all the comics I have paid 8k or higher for. I assure you Maxx 1 or Primer 5 are not ones that would even enter the radar. I might pay that for the OA cover.

I might pay a few hundred for a Sam Kieth sig series if it was the only one.

I guess I'm really not sure what this is all about and why I was brought into a discussion

Enjoy your Copper books gents

Joe, you are saying you didn't ask me who Comic Sutra was on Ebay, and if he was a board member as you were going to make an offer on his Primer 5 CGC 9.8 to add to your Comico Primer registry set?

Comico Primer Registry

And at that time, it was priced at $8,000 on Ebay. Then when I informed you it was RMA, that's when you bailed because he had "set you straight" on a topic that led to you putting him on ignore.

"Comic-Sutra" bring back memories?