• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Survey: Do you tip your postman for Christmas?

62 posts in this topic

I got an envelope/card in the mail today from my postman, with a Christmas decoration and "Thank you for your kindness" written in it, along with a signature.

Basically it's a hint/reminder that the holidays are typically a time to tip the postman something for the year.

So I am curious: Do you tip your postman, and if so, how much? I am especially interested in hearing from those who buy a lot of comics/etc. and therefore get lots of packages.

When I have had good postal workers who took care of me - hassled with a number of packages, took care of the boxes, didn't "forget" to deliver mail every couple of weeks, etc. - I have tipped. A couple of movie tickets or something in the $25 range is what I have done.

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Besides, I already pay their salary in the form of taxes.

My postal carrier leaves all our packages on the door step or the driveway instead of putting them in the large locked boxes in our community post box. So no I don't tip him for giving me crappy service that may lead to my packages being stolen.

We have a revolving door host of mail carriers, so no.

+1

My postal delivery person is very careful with my packages, takes the time to walk up to my door with boxes instead of leaving a note in the box to pick them up later and does her best to not drop or destroy anything.

She gets a tin of homemade cookies and $20.

The three nice ladies that work the counter at my local PO, who always try to accommodate my requests get a large tray of homemade Christmas goodies.

I've seen so much poor service and people who can't be bothered to even give a minimum of courtesy in their jobs that I know how important it is to demonstrate appreciation for people that actually give a damn.

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Besides, I already pay their salary in the form of taxes.

Really?

There's a big difference between a post man folding a comic mailer in half so it fits in the mail box and walking it to your door to make sure it gets there safely.

There's about a thousand ways the "postal man" can provide better or worse service.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum and have come to realize that when someone treats your packages as if they were their own, it's worth treating them well in return.

I tip just about everyone who serves me,because I am in the service business I know how much it helps my family.I usually rake in about 1K in tips this time of year. :banana:

+1

From 1997 - 2007 I delivered a paper route. I had, on average, 230 customers and I would rake in close to $1,300.00 in tips during the holiday season. :cloud9:

On the other side, I've been a recycle collector for a local trash company since 1998. I pick-up 5000 homes weekly and have yet to break $200.00 in tips. :cry:

It's always nice to give what you can for those who provide you with good service.

My postal carrier leaves all our packages on the door step or the driveway instead of putting them in the large locked boxes in our community post box. So no I don't tip him for giving me crappy service that may lead to my packages being stolen.

I have a hold on all packages at my house due to neighbors in the apartments across the street stealing stuff... in broad daylight. Far too many times my postal carriers have no only left packages, they've either jammed them into my mail slot (damaging stuff) or leaving them unprotected in the rain or snow (also damaging stuff).

I have plenty of years in the service business and when my job wasn't done well, I hardly expected much praise. meh

For the last five years, we've made it a point to give our mailman, our two garbage guys, and the recycle guy, a Christmas card with a gift card for Dunkin' Donuts. Its the least we can do to say thanks.