• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Survey: Do you tip your postman for Christmas?

62 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]Do you tip your postman for Christmas?

Re: Do they deserve it?

Answer: Absolutely NO

1. They never go to my door

2. They never go to my floor

3. They drop me a pick up notice, 2 days after they drop the item at a post office.

4. They never reach me at my phone number.

5. They leave package at the lobby of the building. (Yes happen to me)

So here it’s your Christmas tip...

and believe me you deserve it[/font]

finger.jpg

Every year and the sanitation men as well. I give more to the sanitation guys only

because I dont have a regular mailmen and these guys take my trash every week without argument so I take care of them a little better. Always food, some cooked items and some christmas desserts. I guess I should add some cash too never done that yet.

My dad is a mailman so when he got a good route we would clean up at Christmas when I was a kid. :banana:

Last year the next week the sanitation guys rang the doorbell because they wanted the recipe for the Oreo Balls we made them. lol

I would if they wouldn't have complained when we did home pickup....or complained when we took the packages to the post office instead.

Basically complaining about having to do their job when we give them a LOT of business...my wife has a full time business out of the home that ships USPS every day.

screw em

Gave my Mail Carrier a $25 gift card to Target and a picture of my dog (she loves him)

I live in a 24 floor condo, she leaves packages with the front desk.. But when a big package come in, she tries to bring it up to me, which she does not have to do. I guess I'm lucky.. But also I talk to her about The Walking Dead T.V. Show and other things through out the year.

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Besides, I already pay their salary in the form of taxes.

Really?

There's a big difference between a post man folding a comic mailer in half so it fits in the mail box and walking it to your door to make sure it gets there safely.

There's about a thousand ways the "postal man" can provide better or worse service.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum and have come to realize that when someone treats your packages as if they were their own, it's worth treating them well in return.

But that is his job not to destroy the mail. I am not going to tip him for doing his job.

A waiter can go beyond his job requirements to make your visit more enjoyable. Your experience is based on their service. The post man delivers mail and is supposed to do it without damaging it.

I always tip. I was a Letter Carrier for 7+ years, I know the pay is far less than peoples imaginations. Never would have been able to buy a house if I did not leave the PO for better pay. That, and I saw more letter carriers forced out from bad knees, bad backs and bad shoulders than I saw retire.

Yes, my mailman is a great guy, he lives in the same development as I do, so I'll usually shoot the breeze with him a while if I'm around when he is delivering the mail. He always makes sure to bring any packages that won't fit into the box up to the front door and will also rubber band the rest of the mail to the package so I don't have to make a trip to the box when a package is delivered. He gets a $20 gift certificate from a local Italian bakery/deli.

I don't have a personal relationship with the postal man no do I feel it necessary to tip them for doing the job they are supposed to do. Unlike waiters and bartenders, the postal man is personally incapable of providing better service beyond what they are supposed to do. If he made my checks arrive sooner and my bills arrive later, I am sure I would have a different outlook.

Besides, I already pay their salary in the form of taxes.

Really?

There's a big difference between a post man folding a comic mailer in half so it fits in the mail box and walking it to your door to make sure it gets there safely.

There's about a thousand ways the "postal man" can provide better or worse service.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum and have come to realize that when someone treats your packages as if they were their own, it's worth treating them well in return.

But that is his job not to destroy the mail. I am not going to tip him for doing his job.

A waiter can go beyond his job requirements to make your visit more enjoyable. Your experience is based on their service. The post man delivers mail and is supposed to do it without damaging it.

And there are still a thousand ways a postal carrier can give better or worse service within those parameters.

Say your mail box is down at the curb and you get a large box, all the USPS requires is that he leave it near the mail box. So, by doing his job, no more and no less, he can leave it at the curb, even in the pouring rain. When he delivered it it wasn't wet or damaged. It's not his problem that you mail box is too small.

My mail man walks it up to my door and puts it someplace it can't get wet.

Treat people like human beings, they try a little harder for you, it's only fair you should probably try a little harder for them.

$50, he picks up my packages, and leaves the ones he brings under the small porch roof where they don't get wet. If I'm around and have heavy boxes, he will ring the bell AND come inside to get them, he's a sweetie...it just took me a long time to get him to stop signing my name for me;)

He also catches me up on all the neighborhood gossip on the weekends, which is good, since I'm never around during the week to hear it;)

I would rate our mail carrier's service fair at best. He appears to be getting a little bit better than he was in the beginning. He hasn't recieved a tip yet but, I am going to give him $40 in person when I see him this week. I will also give him a hint where to place my packages instead of putting them on the edge of the porch where they get wet if it rains. I will also fix the mailbox he broke.

$50, he picks up my packages, and leaves the ones he brings under the small porch roof where they don't get wet. If I'm around and have heavy boxes, he will ring the bell AND come inside to get them, he's a sweetie...it just took me a long time to get him to stop signing my name for me;)

He also catches me up on all the neighborhood gossip on the weekends, which is good, since I'm never around during the week to hear it;)

That's our Sharon! :applause:

I try to do something for my local post office throughout the year. I send pizza, bring Dilly bars from DQ to them on hot summer days, and my wife just took in some holiday cookies and candy to them the other day.

The people at my post office work hard and are good people. It's always amazing to me what a $6 box of Dilly bars can do to change someone's entire day.

I don't think I've ever had the same letter carrier on a day to day, week to week, so forth basis.

I always leave something in the mailbox for them, whoever they may be.