• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windy City Pedigrees- What Did They Sell For?

125 posts in this topic

In May/June of 1986 I purchased the Windy City collection. For the next month, in preparation for the upcoming Chicago Comicon (always held over the July 4th holiday in those days), I started processing the books. Many were sold almost immediately to local collectors I knew but the bulk would debut at the Con.

Before I purchased the collection I was fortunate to have the entire collection stored in my home for 6 months in order to properly grade each issue. I counted every page, made a note of the paper quality and graded each book. I still have copies of this original list and I refer to it frequently when a question arises as to the authenticity of a particular issue (is it a WC or not?).

Recently I found my original price list from the summer of 1986. These legal-sized sheets listed the title, issue number, grade, price I paid and the price I sold the book for. Often I traded books, so the value of the trade is listed too.

To top off this treasure trove of WC artifacts, I was fortunate to obtain photos of the collection that were taken by the seller. I scanned them all and uploaded them to Photobucket (I also sent copies to Matt for the WC listing in his book).

With all this information I believe I can estimate closely today's CGC grade. I thought it might be fun to show everyone what these books sold for lo, those many years ago.

lol

If anyone wants to compare the current GPA on these, that could be cool.

So let's turn back the clock 25 years. You just enter the dealer's room of the Chicago Comicon held at the old Ramada O'Hare hotel. The first booth, directly across from the entrance, is Moondog's and this is what you see:

Gary116.jpg

Gift Comics 1 - 8.0, c/ow - $600 in trade

Fantastic Comics 1 - 9.4, ow/w - $570

Red Ryder 1 - 9.2, ow/w - $350 in trade

Xmas Comics 1 - 9.2, c/ow - $900 in trade

Famous Funnies 1 - the seller sold this copy prior to my purchasing the collection

Movie Comics 1 - 9.2 c/ow - $1,000 in trade

Gary112-1.jpg

Green Hornet 1 - 8.0 (dust shadow), ow/w - $400

Fight Comics 1 - 7.5 (dust shadow), c/ow - $275

Flame 1 - 9.2, c/ow - could not find pricing info

Blue Bolt 1 - 7.0, c/ow - could not find pricing info

Mystic 1 - 6.0/7.0 (dust shadows), c/ow - could not find pricing info

National 1 - 7.0, c/ow - $1,100 in trade

More to come!

Gary is possible could you please post a picture of the Windy City copy of Detective #16. Thank you.
I thought the collection was all #1s? If so there is no WC tec 16, right (shrug)

Andy Wallace collected first issues, but early on he also had small runs of titles. More Fun, Detective and Famous Funnies spring to mind. He had a near-complete run of Classics and tons of 4-Colors.

I'll do my best to help collectors try to ID their books, but there isn't an image of every issue.

Here's my Windy City.

Wham1.jpg

That was my copy for many years Loved it when I was centaur centric

It is a very pretty book. I think I got this when you sold it on Heritage.